News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

I wonder what the cost difference would be between the UP railway alignment up to Corning versus the Pocahontas option. Even following the UP alignment I-57 will require a new bridge over the Black River just South of Corning. OTOH, the bridge and other berm work will not be nearly as extensive as it would be skirting the East side of Pocahontas (and serving the industrial district there). The problem is the Black River and Current River meet in that zone. The Fourche River also feeds into the Black River on the NE side of Pocahontas. Mill Creek feeds into the Black River on the South side of town. Combine that with the flat elevation and it's no wonder why that location is prone to flooding.

QuoteBest as I can tell, the Jacksonville segment is the only part of the freeway that isn't up to standard already. The frontage roads between exits 11 and 16 may eventually need to be converted to one way also, and that will mean building at least 4 crossovers where there are none.

There's still some bad spots, but it looks like some are being fixed. According to Google Earth imagery (dated 10/10/2018) a brand new interchange with AR-38 is getting built on the North side Cabot. From the AR-5 interchange on the South side of Cabot US-67 is being widened down to the Vandenberg Blvd exit. Below there to South of the James Street exit is substandard due to narrow shoulders and some really short slip ramps. The on/off ramps to James Street exit have bad geometry. The Northbound US-67 exit 10A ramp is the worst of the bunch. The exit ramp is nothing more than an added right turn lane and 45 degree right turn. The Southbound Exit 9 ramp sucks almost as bad. South of that point US-67 is on a lot of new, wider concrete road bed and appears far more compliant with modern standards.

Substandard inner and outer shoulders are the main issue North of Cabot to up to around Newport. With all the work left to it will probably be at least a few more years before we see regular I-57 shields going up there. But I think US-67 could be legally signed as I-57 from I-40 up to the AR-440 interchange.
:)

abqtraveler

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 17, 2019, 02:49:21 PM

Substandard inner and outer shoulders are the main issue North of Cabot to up to around Newport. With all the work left to it will probably be at least a few more years before we see regular I-57 shields going up there. But I think US-67 could be legally signed as I-57 from I-40 up to the AR-440 interchange.

If they were to do that, then they could also extend the I-440 designation over AR-440 to where it currently ends at US-67.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

I-39

I wonder what the cost difference would be between the UP railway alignment up to Corning versus the Pocahontas option. Even following the UP alignment I-57 will require a new bridge over the Black River just South of Corning. OTOH, the bridge and other berm work will not be nearly as extensive as it would be skirting the East side of Pocahontas (and serving the industrial district there). The problem is the Black River and Current River meet in that zone. The Fourche River also feeds into the Black River on the NE side of Pocahontas. Mill Creek feeds into the Black River on the South side of town. Combine that with the flat elevation and it's no wonder why that location is prone to flooding.

QuoteBest as I can tell, the Jacksonville segment is the only part of the freeway that isn't up to standard already. The frontage roads between exits 11 and 16 may eventually need to be converted to one way also, and that will mean building at least 4 crossovers where there are none.

There's still some bad spots, but it looks like some are being fixed. According to Google Earth imagery (dated 10/10/2018) a brand new interchange with AR-38 is getting built on the North side Cabot. From the AR-5 interchange on the South side of Cabot US-67 is being widened down to the Vandenberg Blvd exit. Below there to South of the James Street exit is substandard due to narrow shoulders and some really short slip ramps. The on/off ramps to James Street exit have bad geometry. The Northbound US-67 exit 10A ramp is the worst of the bunch. The exit ramp is nothing more than an added right turn lane and 45 degree right turn. The Southbound Exit 9 ramp sucks almost as bad. South of that point US-67 is on a lot of new, wider concrete road bed and appears far more compliant with modern standards.

Have they started the rebuilding/widening work between Main Street and Vandenberg Blvd?

sparker

Quote from: abqtraveler on July 17, 2019, 05:48:47 PM

If they were to do that, then they could also extend the I-440 designation over AR-440 to where it currently ends at US-67.

With I-57 signage, the designation upgrade of AR 440 to I-440 is all but a given.  Nevertheless, it's likely that no actual I-57 signage will be posted until the entire facility -- at least as far as Walnut Grove -- is up to current Interstate standards (ostensibly the raison d'etre of the Jacksonville-area upgrades).  It's a long enough stretch to warrant posting -- might provide some additional incentive (of the PR variety) to finish off the corridor remainder.

capt.ron

Quote from: I-39 on July 17, 2019, 05:54:35 PM

Have they started the rebuilding/widening work between Main Street and Vandenberg Blvd?
The section between Vandenberg and Main St is still being finalized (on the drawing board, that is). I'm guessing that work will begin either late this year or early next year. According to ARDOT, the Vandenberg-Main St section is slated to be complete by 2023. At that time, the freeway will be up to modern interstate standards.

capt.ron

I went to the Arkansashighways.com (ARDot) site and stumbled across a proposal for widening on US 67 (Future I-57) from exit 16 to 19. Looks like my wish may be granted in the future. Anyway, it is a proposal at the moment. As per the pdf file, the meeting occurred on 8/29/2019 in Cabot (Veterans Park Event Center).
This may tie in with the proposal of the new exit 16 and 19 interchanges.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Am I the only one that thinks Arkansas is getting a case of North Carolina-itis in terms of I-57? Missouri had already said no to bringing U.S. 60 up to interstate standards once (I-66), so what makes Arkansas think they'd say yes to it now?
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Tomahawkin

I have a feeling as well that this project will stall until circa 2022ish???

sprjus4

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 06, 2019, 03:51:44 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Arkansas is getting a case of North Carolina-itis in terms of I-57? Missouri had already said no to bringing U.S. 60 up to interstate standards once (I-66), so what makes Arkansas think they'd say yes to it now?
Missouri has already signed US-60 as Future I-57. Both states ultimately plan to build the full thing between I-55 and Little Rock.

ibthebigd

Shouldn't I-69 be a higher priority along with completing I-49?

SM-G950U

sprjus4

Quote from: ibthebigd on November 06, 2019, 06:52:26 PM
It depends on what part you look at.

When you look at either upgrading a 4-lane highway to interstate standards vs. building a 4-lane interstate parallel to a 2-lane road, then yes, I-69 and I-49 would be the latter and more important.

However, there is a 60 mile 2-lane stretch between Walnut Ridge, AK and Poplar Bluff, MO, and that quite frankly is just as much of a priority as I-69 and I-49, as all three projects would provide a 4-lane interstate highway to parallel a 2-lane roadway.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 06, 2019, 07:00:33 PM
It depends on what part you look at.

When you look at either upgrading a 4-lane highway to interstate standards vs. building a 4-lane interstate parallel to a 2-lane road, then yes, I-69 and I-49 would be the latter and more important.

However, there is a 60 mile 2-lane stretch between Walnut Ridge, AK and Poplar Bluff, MO, and that quite frankly is just as much of a priority as I-69 and I-49, as all three projects would provide a 4-lane interstate highway to parallel a 2-lane roadway.

I doubt 49 ever gets farther south than Barling for the forseeable future. And 69 through Arkansas is going nowhere fast. I guarantee Tennessee and even Texas gets its sections of 69 finished before LA or AR turns the first spade of dirt for its sections.

US71

SM-G950U

Depends who would benefit.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddyAm I the only one that thinks Arkansas is getting a case of North Carolina-itis in terms of I-57?

Perhaps not. But I think a far more convincing argument can be made for naming US-67 as I-57 in Arkansas than the oddly short 2-digit Interstate stub routes in NC.

If I-57 is completed and named between Little Rock and Sikeston the route might connect the Chicago and Dallas Fort Worth in a more direct manner than other Interstate route combinations currently in use (such as I-35 to I-44 to I-55). The new route would bypass St Louis. Little Rock would be the only city of significant size along the way. That would be a big plus for a lot of long distance traffic.

By comparison, back in North Carolina, the Interstate route situation there is kind of a mess. North Carolina is able to generate more freeway projects since its fuel taxes are higher. Plus certain regions in NC are doing very well. Still, the priorities are spread all over the place and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of cooperation between neighboring states at extending routes like I-73 and I-74.

Honestly, I think I-74 should have been given a different route number that fits more into the grid, such as I-36. I-74 has virtually no chance in the foreseeable future to ever connect to the original I-74 route that ends in Cincinnati. At least there's some logic in the I-73 designation, but that's another route whose progress in Virginia and South Carolina is glacier slow. The strange, angled routing of both Interstates isn't going to appeal to long distance motorists. The appeal is only going to be for shorter haul drives.

And then there's I-42 and I-87. I'm not against those corridors being upgraded to Interstate quality. It will help with beach traffic and hurricane evacuations. But I think it would have been better to apply 3 digit Interstate designations to both. The duplication of I-87 is a little odd. Maybe it can serve as a friend to NC's I-74.

Quote from: ibthebigdShouldn't I-69 be a higher priority along with completing I-49?

IMHO, I-69 should be the last priority in Arkansas since it has by far the most difficult hurdles to overcome. The Great River Bridge and its enormous price tag is the biggest hurdle obviously.

In contrast to I-69, the I-57 upgrade project in Arkansas is far more do-able. There are no billion dollar bridges to build (unlike I-69). There are no mountains to go around or possibly tunnel through (unlike I-49). The completed route would bring more traffic and commerce from places like Dallas and Chicago through the Little Rock area. That might spur business growth.

I-49 should also be a greater priority than I-69. The Northwest part of Arkansas is growing fast. If they can just get the Arkansas River bridge project between Alma and Barling built the completion of that segment might help get the other pieces between Fort Smith and Texarkana moving. The advantage Arkansas has at building out I-49 in favor of I-69 is they're not reliant on other states get other parts of the project finished. Well, then again, Texas does have that odd little blip of I-49 transecting a corner of its state. But that's small potatoes compared to a giant size Mississippi River bridge project.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
It's likely that the primary impetus for the designation and ultimate deployment of the I-57 southern extension was the fact that there was already a freeway -- completed or well into the construction phase -- along much of its length when the designation was approved.   If completed and in service, it will take some pressure off ADOT to spend a lot of money to increase capacity on not only the decidedly overworked section of I-40 east of Little Rock but also the state's section of I-55.   And in doing so, ADOT and their political handlers can cross another portion of the state off their list of areas receiving Interstate service (one of the drivers behind I-69 and its I-530/extension cohort).   And last but certainly not least is the revenue potential from roadside/travel-related businesses along the I-57 corridor; towns like Searcy and Newport stand to benefit from the diversion of interregional traffic to I-57 -- and it's pretty clear that Pocahontas wants a piece of that action as well.   But still the fact that there was a lot of it already deployed probably had much to do with its selection as an Interstate addition, much in the same way as with I-22 to the east.

I-39

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 06, 2019, 04:05:52 PM

Since there has been no new news in some time and there seems to be bigger priorities, I would say even later. Probably at least a decade.

MikieTimT

Quote from: I-39 on November 07, 2019, 07:06:02 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 06, 2019, 04:05:52 PM

Since there has been no new news in some time and there seems to be bigger priorities, I would say even later. Probably at least a decade.

I'm guessing that there may be some progress around that time, as Arkansas/Missouri will have finished up the Bella Vista Bypass (I-49 Connector) by then, and likely will have addressed some funding concerns by then.  Both states have highway funding issues to put before the voters next year, and Arkansas, at least, has shown some willingness to tax ourselves for infrastructure needs to enable future growth and long overdue repairs.  Missouri voters will likely be the difference makers in this particular joint state venture.  This sure would go a lot smoother if the federal govt. didn't put the burden of Interstate highway growth on the states themselves, especially perennially broke ones like the ones in the mid-south where all of the growth seems to be occurring nowadays.

Brandon

I-69 should never have gone past Memphis, or even Evansville for that matter.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: Brandon on November 07, 2019, 01:50:26 PM

I think it should have stopped at Memphis

sprjus4

The only part I could see as redundant, would be I-69 unbuilt between Memphis and Shreveport. The portion north of Memphis, and the I-69 / I-369 combo from Texarkana southwards definitely have warrant to be built.

ibthebigd

Houston is so isolated from so much of the US for such a big city

SM-G950U

sprjus4

Quote from: ibthebigd on November 07, 2019, 04:10:43 PM
Houston is so isolated from so much of the US for such a big city

SM-G950U
Not necessarily, they do have I-10 and I-45. The northeast connection (I-69 North) and the southern connection (I-69 South) are the biggest missing pieces, along with a westerly connection (US-290 or TX-71 freeway upgrade) to Austin.

wdcrft63

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 06, 2019, 03:51:44 PM
"North Carolina-itis" is not a disease. It's a recognition that in the 75 years since the Interstate system was first mapped out there has been explosive growth through the southeastern quadrant of the country and there's a big need for new routes. I-22 is a good example and so are I-49, I-57 and the Texas section of I-69.

X99

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 07, 2019, 02:28:47 PM

I think it should have stopped at Memphis

I think it should have stopped at (and taken over) I-155. I-55, I-40 and I-30 already follow the rest of the route between I-155 and Texarkana.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Bobby5280

Quote from: MikieTimTThis sure would go a lot smoother if the federal govt. didn't put the burden of Interstate highway growth on the states themselves, especially perennially broke ones like the ones in the mid-south where all of the growth seems to be occurring nowadays.

Actually most of the population growth (or migration) is happening among large urban/suburban metro areas. Most are in warm weather climates, but some growth is happening in colder climates too. The Front Range cities in Colorado is one example. Boise is another. Arizona and Nevada are gaining population. Texas' huge cities are still growing fast.

One of the "perennially broke" states in the South, Mississippi, is actually losing population. West Virginia is experiencing the steepest population declines out of all 50 states in terms of percentage of state population. It's currently the only state where deaths are outnumbering births and out-migration of residents adds to an already bad situation. Other states like Kansas and Missouri aren't exactly hot beds of growth either. Here in Oklahoma the OKC and Tulsa areas are the only places making significant gains; most other places here are slowly losing population (particularly the rural areas). I think Texas is pulling a lot of Oklahomans South of the Red River. They're certainly poaching teachers like crazy, relocating them to better paying school districts in the Lone Star State.

Just so I'm not dumping on only "poor" states, California is going to end up being a victim of its own success. Over 40% of the state's residents spend more than 1/3 of their income on housing. California has 10% of the nation's population, but fully 25% of the nation's homeless. The crisis level shortage of affordable housing is forcing many lower and middle income earners out of the state. The outflow of people, particularly young adults, will create a massive shortage of employees in many job categories. Once that happens the hyper-inflated real estate bubble will explode.

Getting back to Missouri and its road building burden, I don't know what they're going to do to solve their problems. At least the Belle Vista bypass is going to get completed. Even without the prospect of extending I-57, I've expected Missouri to at least upgrade US-60 to Interstate quality from Sikeston to Poplar Bluff. That's part of the bigger project to upgrade US-60 all the way to Springfield. The project would still take care of a good chunk of I-57. Missouri has several other highways in need of upgrading. So it all comes down to the state's priorities and ability to fund them. The situation would be a lot easier if the feds weren't AWOL.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.