News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: edwaleni on August 23, 2020, 03:38:06 PM
As for Pocahontas having any political clout, it's the *only* population center of any reasonable size between Corning and Walnut Ridge. The mileage will be the almost identical regardless, and it actually uses less flood plain on that corridor than the #3. I don't think it took much "clout" to consider that path.
Not to mention, it parallels the existing US-67 corridor, which all the other freeway segments do. I hadn't even thought of the other corridor until it was mentioned on this forum.

Alternative #2 is the most logical option.

Scott5114

Posts about a possible Denver-OKC interstate have been moved to a new Fictional thread.

Posts about diagonal interstates in general have been moved to Diagonal Interstates.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Looked interesting then I realized this is 3 years old :P  so it's not happening I take it?

ilpt4u

The last couple pages of the thread are ARDOT doing virtual public meetings for route selection: https://future57.transportationplanroom.com/

Virtual meeting is open until Sept 2nd. I think progress is being made

bugo

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 18, 2020, 08:03:39 PM
The southern part is already mostly interstate grade already.

The Muskogee Turnpike, the BA west of I-44, the IDL, the Keystone Expressway and the Cimarron Turnpike are nowhere near I standards. The Keystone even has an at grade intersection. The existing highway would pretty much have to be completely rebuilt before it met I standards.

U304AA

edwaleni

Proof that ARDOT is listening to the posts on the I-57 interactive map.

I put in a request for the 100 year flood map or the FEMA flood zones and voila, it is now an option to view.

I don't like how it is displayed (on the road line only) as i wanted an overlay instead, but hey, they did respond to the request.

https://future57.transportationplanroom.com/environmental-map

mvak36

https://talkbusiness.net/2020/09/lane-expansion-planned-for-u-s-67/
QuoteThe U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has awarded $10 million for improvements to U.S. Highway 67 northeast of Little Rock and $4 million for the construction of a railroad overpass in Monticello.

DOT awarded a $10 million grant from the Better Utilizing Investment to Leverage Development (BUILD) program, which will be used to widen U.S. Highway 67 from four to six lanes, construct an overpass, convert frontage roads to one-way operation and reconstruct two interchanges.

This grant follows a $40 million award the project received from DOT's Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) program in June.

Arkansas' congressional delegation announced the projects Thursday (Sept. 10).

"This is great news for Arkansas, which has invested hundreds of millions of dollars to make U.S. Highway 67 an interstate-quality road. This funding will bring us closer to completing "˜Future I-57,"  which is key for making the communities around it even more attractive places to live, work or start a business,"  the delegation said in a collective statement.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

edwaleni

Quote from: mvak36 on September 14, 2020, 10:37:28 AM
https://talkbusiness.net/2020/09/lane-expansion-planned-for-u-s-67/
QuoteThe U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has awarded $10 million for improvements to U.S. Highway 67 northeast of Little Rock and $4 million for the construction of a railroad overpass in Monticello.

DOT awarded a $10 million grant from the Better Utilizing Investment to Leverage Development (BUILD) program, which will be used to widen U.S. Highway 67 from four to six lanes, construct an overpass, convert frontage roads to one-way operation and reconstruct two interchanges.

This grant follows a $40 million award the project received from DOT's Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) program in June.

Arkansas' congressional delegation announced the projects Thursday (Sept. 10).

"This is great news for Arkansas, which has invested hundreds of millions of dollars to make U.S. Highway 67 an interstate-quality road. This funding will bring us closer to completing "˜Future I-57,"  which is key for making the communities around it even more attractive places to live, work or start a business,"  the delegation said in a collective statement.

I checked out the Monticello grant to see if it had I-69 impacts (it doesn't).  The town is literally split in two when a long haul train blows through. It essentially builds a bridge for Main Street over the tracks, which just happens to be next to the courthouse.

But glad to hear on the other grants. Things are moving forward.

rte66man

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 18, 2020, 08:03:39 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 13, 2020, 04:13:13 PM
The southern part is already mostly interstate grade already.

The Muskogee Turnpike, the BA west of I-44, the IDL, the Keystone Expressway and the Cimarron Turnpike are nowhere near I standards. The Keystone even has an at grade intersection. The existing highway would pretty much have to be completely rebuilt before it met I standards.
U304AA

I had forgotten about that at-grade just west of OK 151.  Somehow I thought it had been removed and a frontage road had been built south to OK 151 just before the dam.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

The road milling project between Newport and Bald Knob are making that stretch a lot smoother, albeit quite dusty as they didn't bother sweeping off the shaved layer as of yesterday.  Rather long stretch of single lane through that area while they are doing it, but it'll be ready to bump up to 75MPH after they finish that up.  The mileage south of Bald Knob would rattle your teeth at 75, so they're probably holding off until they make it a little more driveable.

capt.ron

Regarding the road milling and bridge rehab, things are progressing nicely from MM 49 to Beebe. What I don't get is why ARDOT is letting the Lonoke Co. section go. A portion of 67 got milled some 9 years ago from MM 33 to the White / Lonoke Co line and it's rather smooth except for the cracked slabs that they are now repairing / replacing. But the Lonoke County section is HORRIBLE, especially once you approach exit 22 going southbound. I do know that the section from exit 19 to the existing 6 lane is slated for widening in the future, along with the total replacement of the interchanges in the Cabot area (16,19)

Tomahawkin

I'm almost in the opinion to just connect 57 to U.S 412 and make a bypass that will go around the small towns in NEA which could be a cheaper option. IMO

edwaleni

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 27, 2020, 10:21:30 AM
I'm almost in the opinion to just connect 57 to U.S 412 and make a bypass that will go around the small towns in NEA which could be a cheaper option. IMO

Requires cosigning 55 & 57.

I think they want to get Little Rock and Texas bound traffic off I-55 from Illinois to Memphis.

Arkansas also wants the business development opportunities for NEA.

Diesel/gas road taxes alone will help those counties, as well as the pass through business for truck stops, food, warehousing and logistics.

Tomahawkin

Good point! IMO 55 should be 3 lanes in both directions from Jonesboro to Memphis because of the truck traffic. Holiday traffic is hell on the travel days. But this may not happen or be considered for 20 years. IH 30 outside of Little Rock is hell

sparker

Quote from: edwaleni on November 27, 2020, 12:52:52 PM

I think they want to get Little Rock and Texas bound traffic off I-55 from Illinois to Memphis.

Diesel/gas road taxes alone will help those counties, as well as the pass through business for truck stops, food, warehousing and logistics.

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 27, 2020, 02:36:15 PM
Good point! IMO 55 should be 3 lanes in both directions from Jonesboro to Memphis because of the truck traffic. Holiday traffic is hell on the travel days. But this may not happen or be considered for 20 years. IH 30 outside of Little Rock is hell

To even consider moving I-57 onto US 421 and away from US 67 and US 60 (via Poplar Bluff) would require changing the definition of High Priority Corridor #89, the vehicle for the full I-57 extension that specifies US 67 and US 60 as the alignments.  Since the corridor is a joint AR/MO venture (all right, mostly AR!), both states would have to sign off on any realignment.  Since the current proposed routings north of Walnut Ridge all pass through or very near the extended Pocahontas-Corning metro area, which pushed for the route's establishment to begin with, it's unlikely that a route completely avoiding that area would ever be considered -- the howls from both regional boosters and their state/congressional representatives would be deafening! 

But I-55 itself definitely needs upgrades; it's one of the older sections of Interstate and is all but falling apart (what is there about original NE AR Interstates? -- oh yeah, lotsa truck traffic!).  Hopefully ADOT will at some not-too-distant point secure enough funds to effect at least upgrades to the 4-lane facility if not outright expansion to 3+3.

edwaleni

Quote from: sparker on November 27, 2020, 09:42:03 PM

But I-55 itself definitely needs upgrades; it's one of the older sections of Interstate and is all but falling apart (what is there about original NE AR Interstates? -- oh yeah, lotsa truck traffic!).  Hopefully ADOT will at some not-too-distant point secure enough funds to effect at least upgrades to the 4-lane facility if not outright expansion to 3+3.

What mile markers were you thinking of where it is in bad shape?

North of Hayti MoDOT gave it a resurface. Around Blythesdale, the section joints are rough in places along with the joints with certain bridges but it looks pretty healthy.

Wayward Memphian

To even consider moving I-57 onto US 421 and away from US 67 and US 60 (via Poplar Bluff) would require changing the definition of High Priority Corridor #89, the vehicle for the full I-57 extension that specifies US 67 and US 60 as the alignments.  Since the corridor is a joint AR/MO venture (all right, mostly AR!), both states would have to sign off on any realignment.  Since the current proposed routings north of Walnut Ridge all pass through or very near the extended Pocahontas-Corning metro area, which pushed for the route's establishment to begin with, it's unlikely that a route completely avoiding that area would ever be considered -- the howls from both regional boosters and their state/congressional representatives would be deafening! 

Memphis needs a new north and a new south bridge but I digress.  But when it comes to 3 lanes I-40 from West Memphis to Little Rock need done a decade along and needs it long before I-55

Read a couple of weeks back where the head of Savannah GA Port said 1/5 of all the goods unloaded there end up in Memphis.

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on November 28, 2020, 08:32:41 PM

Memphis needs a new north and a new south bridge but I digress.  But when it comes to 3 lanes I-40 from West Memphis to Little Rock need done a decade along and needs it long before I-55

Read a couple of weeks back where the head of Savannah GA Port said 1/5 of all the goods unloaded there end up in Memphis.

IIRC, the I-55 bridge at Memphis was supposed to close for repairs, but the idea was scrapped/postponed at the last minute for fear of overloading I-40
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tomahawkin

W-Memphian, I'm not suprised that the port of Savannah distributes that much freight to the mid south and mid west. That's another reason as to why more interstates need to be built from Savannah to Texas. Both IH 40 and 20 and IH 10, are crazy congested, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other North/South interstate routes...

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 28, 2020, 11:23:25 PM
W-Memphian, I'm not suprised that the port of Savannah distributes that much freight to the mid south and mid west. That's another reason as to why more interstates need to be built from Savannah to Texas. Both IH 40 and 20 and IH 10, are crazy congested, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other North/South interstate routes...

This is why I-22 needs to be extended to at least Macon, if not taking over I-16 all the way to Savannah. 
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Bobby5280

Most of the cargo coming into the Ports at Savannah and Brunswick is leaving for other points in the US via rail. I-16 is the main East-West highway outlet for Savannah. It's mostly 2 lanes in each direction. Meanwhile I-75 is 3 lanes or wider in both directions all across Georgia.

Brunswick is home to one of the biggest vehicle import facilities in the US. The main Westbound highway outlet for Brunswick is US-82/GA-520; it's a regular 4 lane divided highway with undivided sections in towns. The corridor has only a couple of limited access segments in Albany and through Fort Benning.

I think Columbus and Macon could use a direct Interstate quality link. But where do you build it? It might need to be a new terrain route that splits the difference between GA-22 and GA-96. It would also be nice if I-22 could be extended farther Southeast past Birmingham down through Auburn and to Columbus. There has been a long-standing proposal to extend I-85 West from Montgomery to I-20/59 and the outskirts of Meridian, MS. I would prefer that to be an even-numbered route (such as I-16). I don't like the idea of I-85 crossing I-20 twice.

I-20 and I-40 are busy for many reasons. Georgia port activity may put some trucks onto those Interstates. But so do the ports in Charleston, Georgetown and Wilmington. I think I-20 really should be extended from Florence, SC to Wilmington.

Back to Memphis: IMHO the federal government will have to step in and do something BIG regarding that hub. The existing I-40 and I-55 Mississippi River bridge crossings need serious improvements, if not total replacement. Then a good case could be made for building two other bridges farther North and South to make I-269 a full outer loop around the Memphis area. It might seem like overkill, but Memphis is a very serious hub point in the Interstate system.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 29, 2020, 02:20:20 PM
Back to Memphis: IMHO the federal government will have to step in and do something BIG regarding that hub. The existing I-40 and I-55 Mississippi River bridge crossings need serious improvements, if not total replacement. Then a good case could be made for building two other bridges farther North and South to make I-269 a full outer loop around the Memphis area. It might seem like overkill, but Memphis is a very serious hub point in the Interstate system.

It would have to be a very big push from the feds before anything happens with Memphis.  It's the red-headed stepchild of Tennessee's road dept., and Nashville doesn't send much love westward.

sparker

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 29, 2020, 02:30:01 PM

It would have to be a very big push from the feds before anything happens with Memphis.  It's the red-headed stepchild of Tennessee's road dept., and Nashville doesn't send much love westward.

As far as additional bridges are concerned, it seems that anything completely new (such as the I-269 loop concept cited above) would require some funding and cooperation from ADOT as well, and they've already got a lot on their plate currently -- while bridge improvements for existing facilities could well be a unilateral undertaking by TDOT (Arkansas would likely welcome "freebies" that extend a few hundred yards beyond the state line).  It wouldn't necessarily be the bridge structures themselves that would be at issue, it would be the remainder of the facilities either to the nearest Interstate or comprising a full loop.  Possibly a decade or two down the line, once ADOT has a sizeable portion of their present workload in the rear view mirror vis-a-vis I-49 & I-57, if both TN and MS can find a way to cooperate as they did with I-269, some plan may yet be cobbled together.  But a hell of a lot of TN intrastate political favors called in and/or extensive lobbying would be necessary to get TNDOT rolling on such a concept.   

sprjus4

I-16 is the main East-West highway outlet for Savannah. It's mostly 2 lanes in each direction.
I-16 only carries between 20,000 - 30,000 AADT with 20-30% truck traffic. It seems adequate with only 4 lanes, there's little reason to embark on a multi-billion dollar project widening the corridor to 6 lanes.

I think I-20 really should be extended from Florence, SC to Wilmington.
Once I-74 is complete between I-95 and Wilmington, this would be a largely redundant route to the existing I-20 -> I-95 -> US-74 (Future I-74) movement that is perfectly adequate for that traffic load. US-74 carries around 15,000 AADT for most of its length, there's not demand for a second redundant route that would cost SCDOT billions of dollars.

sparker

I think I-20 really should be extended from Florence, SC to Wilmington.

20-odd years ago NCDOT thought the same thing and projected a I-20 freeway east along US 76 from Florence to the I-74 junction, then actually into Wilmington as I-74 turned southeast along NC 211.  But SC demurred, which wasn't and isn't surprising -- just look at the problems they've encountered with their stretch of I-73. 

Re I-22:  with AL's moratorium on new limited-access construction (that even stopped the AL 108 Montgomery bypass in its tracks), it's more likely (marginally) that I-22 will extend to Springfield, MO before any eastward AL extensions even reach the planning stage.  Apologies for the little digression into Fictional!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.