News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Quote from: MikieTimTIt would have to be a very big push from the feds before anything happens with Memphis.  It's the red-headed stepchild of Tennessee's road dept., and Nashville doesn't send much love westward.

State budget limitations in Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi are exactly why the Federal government would have to provide a really big push to get any Mississippi River bridge improvement and replacement projects done for I-40 and I-55, much less build anything brand new for a possible extension of the I-269 outer loop. Not only would the federal government have to provide a great deal of the funding they would probably have to provide a lot of organizational help to keep all 3 states on the same page.

Quote from: sprjus4I-16 only carries between 20,000 - 30,000 AADT with 20-30% truck traffic. It seems adequate with only 4 lanes, there's little reason to embark on a multi-billion dollar project widening the corridor to 6 lanes.

I wasn't really suggesting I-16 be widened; I was only pointing out the difference between it and and I-75. Earlier it sounded to me others were implying the port at Savannah was generating a great deal of vehicle traffic to over-load I-20 and I-40. If that was the case the traffic levels on I-16 would be much heavier and the highway would look more like I-75 elsewhere in Georgia.

Quote from: sprjus4Once I-74 is complete between I-95 and Wilmington, this would be a largely redundant route to the existing I-20 -> I-95 -> US-74 (Future I-74) movement that is perfectly adequate for that traffic load. US-74 carries around 15,000 AADT for most of its length, there's not demand for a second redundant route that would cost SCDOT billions of dollars.

I thought the long term plan for I-74 was still to extend it into South Carolina to connect into an extension of the Carolina Bays Parkway.

I would personally prefer I-74 to go to Wilmington, overlapping US-74. Upgrading the remaining non-freeway segments of US-74 between I-95 and Wilmington would be far less costly. With all the improvement projects along US-74 that continue to be made it appears likely US-74 will be fully limited access between Charlotte and Wilmington before anything new happens at all with I-73 and I-74 in South Carolina. For all we know the remaining sections of I-73 and I-74 in South Carolina may never get built, kind of like the other effectively dead sections of proposed I-73 and I-74.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 29, 2020, 08:59:40 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 28, 2020, 11:23:25 PM
W-Memphian, I'm not suprised that the port of Savannah distributes that much freight to the mid south and mid west. That's another reason as to why more interstates need to be built from Savannah to Texas. Both IH 40 and 20 and IH 10, are crazy congested, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other North/South interstate routes...

This is why I-22 needs to be extended to at least Macon, if not taking over I-16 all the way to Savannah.

Most of that Savannah frieght is coming into the Midsoith via rail.

On I-22....

And to I-35 via ,North Arkansas and Tulsa but I'm digressing again and daydreaming as well.

The Big River Steel plant is about to double in size in Osceola.

edwaleni

Not to get to far off the thread line, but there was a coalition to bring more federal funding for interstate highways across the south for east-west commerce.

Somewhere in AARoads I have posted on it, but it was all pretty speculative. Most of it was designed to connect eastern ports below Norfolk but above Jacksonville.

The last traffic study I saw for improvements west of Brunswick on the GA-520/US-83 corridor showed most of it diverts going west past Albany and goes straight to Montgomery, not to Columbus & Fort Benning.

Going east it jumps in the I-75/Tifton area but is average to Waycross.

Tomahawkin

Now, Im going OT, Atlanta is opening amazon distributions centers in the area due to the close range of area airports. the Amazon truck traffic here is just adding to the traffic quagmire here? Are there plans for amazon to open up fulfillment/distribution centers in the Little Rock or NEA??? This would really necessitate interstate growth in Arkansas and the Memphis area...IMO It would be a game changer if amazon invested in business in NEA or NWA

Road Hog

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 29, 2020, 11:54:29 PM
Now, Im going OT, Atlanta is opening amazon distributions centers in the area due to the close range of area airports. the Amazon truck traffic here is just adding to the traffic quagmire here? Are there plans for amazon to open up fulfillment/distribution centers in the Little Rock or NEA??? This would really necessitate interstate growth in Arkansas and the Memphis area...IMO It would be a game changer if amazon invested in business in NEA or NWA
Amazon announced this year a fulfillment center at the Port of Little Rock (along I-440). Opens in 2021.

edwaleni

Amazon has warehouses throughout Arkansas.

Proctor, Crawfordsville, West Memphis, Marion, Joiner, Sherwood, just to name a few.

They are opening a fulfillment center in Republic, Missouri the same time as Little Rock locale and Tulsa opened last year.

So I think that has NWA covered.

When I-57 opens all the way to the Missouri state line, then the Little Rock center will probably cover NEA.

Tomahawkin

Oh, nice, This is seriously good news to hear! Thanks all on the 411 about amazon, never thought I would see wal mart have competition in Arkansas

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 30, 2020, 12:22:03 PM
Oh, nice, This is seriously good news to hear! Thanks all on the 411 about amazon, never thought I would see wal mart have competition in Arkansas

K-Mart tried, but failed. Ditto Venture and Gibson's.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-39

Are there any new updates on the I-57 extension on either side of the border?

US71

Quote from: I-39 on November 30, 2020, 05:40:31 PM

Last update I could find was July
https://standard-democrat.com/story/2820610.html

yakra

Quote from: sparker on November 29, 2020, 03:36:38 PM
with AL's moratorium on new limited-access construction (that even stopped the AL 108 Montgomery bypass in its tracks)
Interesting. I'd like to hear the rationale behind this. Got any juicy links?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

edwaleni

Quote from: I-39 on November 30, 2020, 05:40:31 PM

MoDOT is still in the planning phase on their side of the border.  Much of the EIS work was from 2005 and had to be updated. It was originally scheduled to be complete by July 2020, but Covid has delayed it a bit. The ROW has already been defined except where it will interface with ARDOT at the border.

As for the Arkansas side, the virtual public comments phase closed in September 2020 and they are compiling the final report on the public hearings which is due by the EOY. The record of decision on the ROW centerline has not been established yet.

There are 3 routes being considered based on the virtual public hearings with 1 being the preferred route by ARDOT. The preferred route is all new ROW from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri border. Will cross the Black River east of Pocahontas, turn NE until it gets west of Corning and then will bypass Corning on its west side and turn north to meet the MoDOT routing.

vdeane

Quote from: edwaleni on December 01, 2020, 01:43:12 PM
There are 3 routes being considered based on the virtual public hearings with 1 being the preferred route by ARDOT. The preferred route is all new ROW from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri border. Will cross the Black River east of Pocahontas, turn NE until it gets west of Corning and then will bypass Corning on its west side and turn north to meet the MoDOT routing.
I thought corridor 1 was the one along existing US 67?  The route you describe sounds like corridor 2 on the map.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

I wouldn't hold my breath on more of the US 67/future Interstate 57 freeway being built anytime soon. After all, it took decades for the existing US 67 freeway to be built from Little Rock to Walnut Ridge. It might take decades for future 57 to reach Poplar Bluff, let alone Sikeston.

I-39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 01, 2020, 09:14:09 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath on more of the US 67/future Interstate 57 freeway being built anytime soon. After all, it took decades for the existing US 67 freeway to be built from Little Rock to Walnut Ridge. It might take decades for future 57 to reach Poplar Bluff, let alone Sikeston.

IIRC, the freeway in Missouri from MO 158 to just two miles north of the state line is funded under a cost sharing program and construction will begin within the next few years.

Also, the transportation sales tax in Arkansas was recently made permanent, and will likely fund at least some of the improvements between Walnut Ridge and the state line.

Honestly, this could be done within 15 years if they just go for it. This is much easier to finish than say, I-49.

MikieTimT

Quote from: I-39 on December 01, 2020, 09:44:18 PM

IIRC, the freeway in Missouri from MO 158 to just two miles north of the state line is funded under a cost sharing program and construction will begin within the next few years.

Also, the transportation sales tax in Arkansas was recently made permanent, and will likely fund at least some of the improvements between Walnut Ridge and the state line.

Honestly, this could be done within 15 years if they just go for it. This is much easier to finish than say, I-49.

Hopefully that's the case.  Now that the tax is permanent, there is no longer as much accountability as to how the money is spent, and historically speaking, Little Rock most definitely gets the lion's share of the funds and work, and now there isn't a sunset to serve as a check and balance to ensure the rest of the state is relatively well served.  So, we'll see.  I truly hope you're right.  I-57 needs to happen.  I-49 needs to happen and the Ouachitas and Arkansas River bridged.  US-82 needs some work.  US-412 needs some work and a Springdale bypass completed.  I-30 and I-40 east almost assuredly will be 6 laned by then absent a renewed focus on I-69, and perhaps necessary regardless.  And countless growth needs and general maintenance (and bridge rebuilds) all around the state.  The good thing about this state is that it is truly almost the only place in the country right now with a willingness to invest in infrastructure despite our relative lack of wealth.

sparker

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 01, 2020, 10:56:35 PM

Hopefully that's the case.  Now that the tax is permanent, there is no longer as much accountability as to how the money is spent, and historically speaking, Little Rock most definitely gets the lion's share of the funds and work, and now there isn't a sunset to serve as a check and balance to ensure the rest of the state is relatively well served.  So, we'll see.  I truly hope you're right.  I-57 needs to happen.  I-49 needs to happen and the Ouachitas and Arkansas River bridged.  US-82 needs some work.  US-412 needs some work and a Springdale bypass completed.  I-30 and I-40 east almost assuredly will be 6 laned by then absent a renewed focus on I-69, and perhaps necessary regardless.  And countless growth needs and general maintenance (and bridge rebuilds) all around the state.  The good thing about this state is that it is truly almost the only place in the country right now with a willingness to invest in infrastructure despite our relative lack of wealth.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see near-term emphasis on I-57, since it requires cooperation and coordination with MoDOT -- something that seem to be somewhat higher on that state's agenda than in previous years (e.g. the long delay but recent progress on the joint I-49 state line segment).  Striking "while the iron is hot" might be the optimal approach here.  I-49 work south of I-40, being largely a unilateral AR project (the slight foray into TX notwithstanding), can proceed as in-state fiscal support dictates.  But those two routes deserve prioritization (although S. AR may demur) principally because of the benefits to be derived both regionally and locally.  And the completion of I-57 with the likely shift of Chicago/St. Louis/upper Midwest traffic to that facility may mean that I-40 expansion from Little Rock to West Memphis can proceed at a somewhat more "leisurely" pace. 

I-39

The tax being permanent isn't that big of a deal. Road construction/maintenance isn't going away, so a steady stream of funding is needed.

I-57 should top the list, followed by I-49 and widening I-30 & 40. I-69 needs to be at the rock bottom of the list, it isn't needed at all.

jbnv

The good thing about this state is that it is truly almost the only place in the country right now with a willingness to invest in infrastructure despite our relative lack of wealth.

Arkansas would be pretty stupid not to. Arkansas is well positioned to be an economic and distribution hub--not just physically but also commercially with Walmart. It's a logical next step for goods coming in from Mexico via Texas. And if Arkansas doesn't build the infrastructure for that traffic, it will end up flowing around Arkansas.

Frankly, as a Louisianan by birth and by choice, I'd love to see the same sense of urgency. It's good that we've improved US 165 to an expressway, but jumping on the I-57 bandwagon to bring it all the way to Lake Charles would help us take advantage of the growth and help everyone else by adding even more redundancy to the pipeline.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2020, 02:04:00 PM

K-mart Tried but failed damn near everywhere. They did start their Super K-Mart experiment and built a Store in Rogers. That store closed when they pulled the plug on Super K's, that had a lot to do with them using Fleming as it's food distributor. Fleming had also bought out Malone and Hyde out of Memphis. That did Fleming in. Otherwise K Mart held on in Springdale till a couple of years ago. When most others had closed.

If Kroger introduced a Dillion's Marketplace back into the market at the right locations, they would do well. Too many folks have moved in in that had other options and aren't Walmart loyal. Kroger pulled Dullions out 10 years ago because their Store were old and small and not worth the trouble. They'd knee cap Harps big time.

I am shocked there is no Costco yet.  All those new Sam's were a launch across the bow but most would shop at Costco as well, especially the new transplants.

Amazon is about to build a large dc in Lowell AR.  Not those rinky dinks mentioned  above.

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on December 02, 2020, 03:12:46 PM

K-mart Tried but failed damn near everywhere. They did start their Super K-Mart experiment and built a Store in Rogers. That store closed when they pulled the plug on Super K's, that had a lot to do with them using Fleming as it's food distributor. Fleming had also bought out Malone and Hyde out of Memphis. That did Fleming in. Otherwise K Mart held on in Springdale till a couple of years ago. When most others had closed.

If Kroger introduced a Dillion's Marketplace back into the market at the right locations, they would do well. Too many folks have moved in in that had other options and aren't Walmart loyal. Kroger pulled Dullions out 10 years ago because their Store were old and small and not worth the trouble. They'd knee cap Harps big time.

I am shocked there is no Costco yet.  All those new Sam's were a launch across the bow but most would shop at Costco as well, especially the new transplants.

Amazon is about to build a large dc in Lowell AR.  Not those rinky dinks mentioned  above.

With Wal-Mart being based in NWA, it's tough for anyone else to get a toe hold.  I remember when IGA was the force to be reckoned with.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: US71 on December 02, 2020, 05:10:35 PM

With Wal-Mart being based in NWA, it's tough for anyone else to get a toe hold.  I remember when IGA was the force to be reckoned with.
In theory, with their background, Sears would have been the perfect Amazon killer, but over the years (from perhaps as far back as the 70s, they kept shooting themselves in the foot so much that they lost all their toes, and then started amputating other appendages, so there is basically nothing left of value (except memories).

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on December 02, 2020, 05:10:35 PM

As long as your wholesaler is Associated Grocers you aren't a force to reckoned with. That is why they went away around like the Do Do bird. Harps is somewhat becoming their own distributor but they ain't there yet.

As I said too many folks have moved in from places with choice and constantly bitch about it being all Walmart and expensive as hell Harps.  If Kroger dropped a Marketplace under either Dillions or Kroger branding on the east Side of Fayetteville like at, oh say, the northwest corner of the intersection of AR16 and AR 265(Huntsville Rd and Crossover) it would become a mint for Kroger. One local grocery had the idea over 20 years ago but was a decade too soon. I am shocked Walmart hasn't at least entertained the ideal of one of the Smaller Single entrance/exit Supercenters there or some where between there and Elkins.

I'm amazed at the guts Dollar General has. They recently opened up to stores in Wesley(between Elkins and Huntsville ) on AR 74 and on US 412 in Marble. Both seem to be doing well.

None of this is neither here or there about I-57..and folks can disagree with this up coming statement but we need lots more limited access roads across his country.

US71

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 03, 2020, 01:27:53 PM

As I said too many folks have moved in from places with choice and constantly bitch about it being all Walmart and expensive as hell Harps.  If Kroger dropped a Marketplace under either Dillions or Kroger branding on the east Side of Fayetteville like at, oh say, the northwest corner of the intersection of AR16 and AR 265(Huntsville Rd and Crossover) it would become a mint for Kroger. One local grocery had the idea over 20 years ago but was a decade too soon. I am shocked Walmart hasn't at least entertained the ideal of one of the Smaller Single entrance/exit Supercenters there or some where between there and Elkins.

I'm amazed at the guts Dollar General has. They recently opened up to stores in Wesley(between Elkins and Huntsville ) on AR 74 and on US 412 in Marble. Both seem to be doing well.

DG also has a store in Dyer-Mulberry, taking over a Walmart Express.

265 at 16 has always been odd. Watson's died on that corner and you now have both Harps and Neighborhood Market just 2 miles north at 45.

I'm waiting for one or the other to establish themselves in Mountainburg, maybe razing that old truck stop.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on December 04, 2020, 11:39:53 AM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 03, 2020, 01:27:53 PM

DG also has a store in Dyer-Mulberry, taking over a Walmart Express.

265 at 16 has always been odd. Watson's died on that corner and you now have both Harps and Neighborhood Market just 2 miles north at 45.

I'm waiting for one or the other to establish themselves in Mountainburg, maybe razing that old truck stop.

Walmart abandoned that concept way too soon, they will pay for it and likely revisit it.

Watson's move was too soon but it had a crappy old store much like the existing Dillions were.

Seems like hundreds of new homes under construction from that intersection and Elkins plus all the home construction on 15th between Armstrong and School.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.