News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Birmingham

Started by Grzrd, September 23, 2010, 09:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaidenscott316

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 09, 2023, 12:15:13 PM
Quote from: asdfjkll on April 04, 2023, 06:37:47 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 04, 2023, 03:57:45 PM
https://abc3340.com/news/local/aldot-plans-major-road-work-in-the-spring-on-i-65-and-red-mtn-expressway-interstate-birmingham-shelby-co-jefferson-co-red-mtn-expressway

I am unsure what this means.

QuoteModifying a ramp at I-20 and the 59 split is also a priority. Leonard explains Exit 130 will close. Exit 130A will be extended so you can turn both left and right with two lanes. This should ease the back up going out of town in the afternoon and evening hours.
I think he got confused on which exit ramps are closing/being upgraded. Currently at the 20/59 split east of town, on I-20 east there is exit 130A and 130B. 130A goes to southbound US-11, and 130B goes to northbound US-11. The right lane after 130A becomes an exit only drop lane for exit 130B, which causes everyone to hurry into the left lane, therefore causing the backups at the PM rush hour. To resolve this, they will close the exit 130B loop ramp, and modify exit 130A to allow traffic to turn either left or right onto US-11 from that same exit ramp. I-20 will then have two thru lanes instead of one through this interchange, and the ramp from I-59 south will merge into the mainline from the left. This public involvement map from last year pretty much sums up what changes will be made to this interchange: https://www.dot.state.al.us/news/NH-0007/pdf/pimap.pdf

Looks pretty good to me. Eliminating that loop ramp also allows room to potentially extend the 130A exit ramp beyond First Avenue/US 11 to connect with the entry ramp to southbound I-59 with the adjacent street, making it a full split diamond interchange.

I cant wait to see it when its done

codyg1985

^^ The ALDOT letting for July 2023 includes the project to eliminate that loop ramp. Plans can be found here.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jaidenscott316

Quote from: jaidenscott316 on July 18, 2023, 06:31:50 PM
https://abc3340.com/news/local/aldot-plans-major-road-work-in-the-spring-on-i-65-and-red-mtn-expressway-interstate-birmingham-shelby-co-jefferson-co-red-mtn-expressway

QuoteModifying a ramp at I-20 and the 59 split is also a priority. Leonard explains Exit 130 will close. Exit 130A will be extended so you can turn both left and right with two lanes. This should ease the back up going out of town in the afternoon and evening hours.
I think he got confused on which exit ramps are closing/being upgraded. Currently at the 20/59 split east of town, on I-20 east there is exit 130A and 130B. 130A goes to southbound US-11, and 130B goes to northbound US-11. The right lane after 130A becomes an exit only drop lane for exit 130B, which causes everyone to hurry into the left lane, therefore causing the backups at the PM rush hour. To resolve this, they will close the exit 130B loop ramp, and modify exit 130A to allow traffic to turn either left or right onto US-11 from that same exit ramp. I-20 will then have two thru lanes instead of one through this interchange, and the ramp from I-59 south will merge into the mainline from the left. This public involvement map from last year pretty much sums up what changes will be made to this interchange: https://www.dot.state.al.us/news/NH-0007/pdf/pimap.pdf

Looks pretty good to me. Eliminating that loop ramp also allows room to potentially extend the 130A exit ramp beyond First Avenue/US 11 to connect with the entry ramp to southbound I-59 with the adjacent street, making it a full split diamond interchange.

Hands down I bet we all can agree that I-20 needs to be widened from Mississippi to Georgia.

I-55

Quote from: jaidenscott316 on July 19, 2023, 04:47:35 PM

Hands down I bet we all can agree that I-20 needs to be widened from Mississippi to Georgia.

West of I-359 there's really no reason to. East of there I'll agree with you.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ttownfeen

It is very much needed between 459 on the west side of the metro to the BHM city limits at MM 119

cjk374

Quote from: jaidenscott316 on July 19, 2023, 04:47:35 PM

Hands down I bet we all can agree that I-20 needs to be widened from Mississippi Texas state line to Georgia.

FTFY. The traffic on I-20 in Louisiana has gotten really thick the last ten years or more. Might as well widen it all.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Georgia

I wonder if ALDOT has cancelled their plans for the toddler detection software on their traffic cams now. 

and yes, 20 needs widened from Tuscaloosa to Villa Rica, GA but neither DOT has shown any inclination to do so.

jaidenscott316

Quote from: Georgia on August 01, 2023, 12:13:21 AM
I wonder if ALDOT has cancelled their plans for the toddler detection software on their traffic cams now. 

and yes, 20 needs widened from Tuscaloosa to Villa Rica, GA but neither DOT has shown any inclination to do so.
No, I-20 needs to be widened from Texas to Villa Rica, GA

codyg1985

Quote from: jaidenscott316 on August 08, 2023, 03:32:01 PM

I would say that the portion of I-20/59 around Meridian, MS needs widening (or bypassed) because it can be a bottleneck. You may could make a case for widening the rest of the I-20/59 multiplex in Mississippi and Alabama. With the times that I have driven I-20 between Jackson and Meridian, it hasn't been bad enough IMO to warrant widening at this time. I am not familiar enough with I-20 in Louisiana or Texas to be able to say for sure whether or not it needs widening through there.

ALDOT and GDOT should work together to fill in the six lane gaps between Birmingham and Villa Rica at a minimum.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

MDOT is planning a reconstruction of I-20 through Vicksburg that includes widening along its concurrency with US 61.

Widening through Meridian (from the 20/59 split to 19/39) is warranted but would be costly due to the close proximity of the frontage roads and adjacent retail development.

Aside from those and perhaps some further work in the Jackson area (as far as Clinton and Brandon), I-20 doesn't really need any expansion in Mississippi.  It barely hits 20K in many spots between Brandon and Meridian.  And while east of Meridian has increased traffic in recent years, it's still sub-30K.

Between Vicksburg and Clinton is borderline...I would argue it's not quite there yet and that the areas I mentioned above should be higher priority.

lordsutch

I'm still not sure why GDOT went to all the trouble to do a full reconstruction of I-20 from US 27 to Villa Rica, including years of contraflow, and leave it at two lanes in each direction with no apparent efforts to even passively prepare for future widening with grading and bridgework and the like.

As far as Meridian is concerned, I wonder if a connection to shift I-59 through traffic to use the US 45 bypass (including whatever upgrades would be needed to US 45 and the interchange at I-20/59) would be cheaper than widening through town and divert enough traffic to make it worthwhile.

rlb2024

I drive I-20 in Louisiana occasionally going between Bossier City and St. Tammany Parish (sometime you just have to avoid Baton Rouge at all costs), and from what I see I can't justify widening I-20 across the entire state.  The traffic levels just aren't there.  Widening I-10 and I-12 across the state would be a higher priority as there is a lot more traffic on those highways, plus the hurricane evacuation factor.  And there's just not the money to do all the widening.

About 33 miles of I-12 is at least 3 lanes, with another 2 to 3 miles around Madisonville getting ready to start widening.  That leaves 50 miles to go.

bwana39

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 08, 2023, 03:41:24 PM

I would say that the portion of I-20/59 around Meridian, MS needs widening (or bypassed) because it can be a bottleneck. You may could make a case for widening the rest of the I-20/59 multiplex in Mississippi and Alabama. With the times that I have driven I-20 between Jackson and Meridian, it hasn't been bad enough IMO to warrant widening at this time. I am not familiar enough with I-20 in Louisiana or Texas to be able to say for sure whether or not it needs widening through there.

ALDOT and GDOT should work together to fill in the six lane gaps between Birmingham and Villa Rica at a minimum.

Widening I-59 is not the answer. Building US-80 out to freeway to Montgomery is. The problem is that while Montgomery is the capitol, the power is rooted in North Alabama; Birmingham and Huntsville.  Maybe a bit along the coast.  Montgomery is like Austin without the population growth, the rest of the state could care less. It, like Jackson,  is a majority minority city.  It might be needed, but actually getting the resources allocated to do it.....

Right now it is 4-lane divided with virtually no grade separation. The part in Perry County is 2-lane.  It would require around a 150 miles of upgrades or new freeway, but it should fix most of the congestion and have minimal difference in mileage from Meridian to Atlanta.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: bwana39 on August 14, 2023, 04:45:37 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on August 08, 2023, 03:41:24 PM

Widening I-59 is not the answer. Building US-80 out to freeway to Montgomery is. The problem is that while Montgomery is the capitol, the power is rooted in North Alabama; Birmingham and Huntsville.  Maybe a bit along the coast.  Montgomery is like Austin without the population growth, the rest of the state could care less. It, like Jackson,  is a majority minority city.  It might be needed, but actually getting the resources allocated to do it.....

Right now it is 4-lane divided with virtually no grade separation. The part in Perry County is 2-lane.  It would require around a 150 miles of upgrades or new freeway, but it should fix most of the congestion and have minimal difference in mileage from Meridian to Atlanta.

IIRC, the state is considering extending I-85 from the state line to Montgomery along the US-80 corridor.

froggie

^ They've given up on that...the environmental notice was rescinded.  In part because of the aforementioned money factor.  IIRC, the last estimate put the price tag at several billion dollars.

bwana39

Quote from: froggie on August 14, 2023, 08:15:03 AM
^ They've given up on that...the environmental notice was rescinded.  In part because of the aforementioned money factor.  IIRC, the last estimate put the price tag at several billion dollars.

Widening I-20 wouldn't be significantly less....

formulanone

Quote from: lordsutch on August 09, 2023, 03:12:38 PM
I'm still not sure why GDOT went to all the trouble to do a full reconstruction of I-20 from US 27 to Villa Rica, including years of contraflow, and leave it at two lanes in each direction with no apparent efforts to even passively prepare for future widening with grading and bridgework and the like.

I just about blew a gasket when I'd discovered the work was done, but with nothing of significance achieved...except for a dangerously narrow constriction with a tediously long speed limit drop along I-20 for 3-4 years.

Glad it wasn't my state.

lordsutch

Quote from: froggie on August 14, 2023, 08:15:03 AM

Of course the Future I-14 corridor has revived the old I-85 extension concept, although it doesn't seem to be getting much traction in Alabama as of yet. Outside of Texas it seems like the only real interest is in Georgia so far, where Sen. Warnock has been pushing projects near Columbus as a priority.

Tomahawkin

I forgot about that. A Montgomery to Columbus to Macon corridor would divert truck traffic from IH 20 and out of Atlanta. This should be a priority given the expansion of the port of Savannah as well as summer traffic en route to Florida...This may not come to fruition til the end of the decade

bwana39

Quote from: lordsutch on August 15, 2023, 01:31:14 PM

Of course the Future I-14 corridor has revived the old I-85 extension concept, although it doesn't seem to be getting much traction in Alabama as of yet. Outside of Texas it seems like the only real interest is in Georgia so far, where Sen. Warnock has been pushing projects near Columbus as a priority.

That is real dreaming. I-14 started as  a BRACC (Base Realignment and Closure Commission) retention point for Fort Hood (Now renamed Fort Cavazos). When Senator Rafael (Ted) Cruz needed more sponsors, he got newly elected Senator Raphael Warnock of GA to co-sponsor to get democrats onboard. 

I just do not see I-14 built outside of Texas and possibly Georgia within any of our lifetimes.  Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi,are poor states and they have decent E/W freeway corridors. For each of them, N/S for hurricane evacuation and to funnel tourists to the Gulf would seemingly hold more import: ESPECIALLY for Mississippi.

From a regional perspective, I-14 really adds little overall.  As everyone has said, the I-85 to I-20 connection between Cuba and Montgomery has significant NATIONAL import. Sadly, for the folks in Birmingham  it does little for them and absolutely NOTHING for Huntsville or Mobile.  Why "sadly"? Sadly, because the population  centers of the state don't benefit and will prefer that the more populous areas of the state get the funding.

I will add one thing, the I-10 to I-20 gap is overall SMALLER than the I-20  to I-40, I-40 to I-70, and I 80 to I-90. I-70 and I-80 are overall closer together than I-10 & I-20.

Congress could pass this stuff ad nauseum. It is the kind of thing legislators cannot vote against if it is in their region and others vote for to keep the  good will of the sponsors when it is outside your region.  It looks like free bacon. It really isn't bacon. It is just bacon you can blame someone else for not delivering.

Even an unfunded mandate makes something happen. This is kind of like the serving suggestion on packaged food. It looks awfully pretty but it wouldn't turn out like the picture even if you tried (and you usually do not even try.)

The Ghostbuster

Any chance they could start upgrading existing US 80 west of Birmingham to freeway standards, even if it has to be done piece-by-piece? Doing it piecemeal will likely be less expensive than doing it all in one shebang.

bwana39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 15, 2023, 09:14:03 PM
Any chance they could start upgrading existing US 80 west of Birmingham to freeway standards, even if it has to be done piece-by-piece? Doing it piecemeal will likely be less expensive than doing it all in one shebang.

Ask the folks that Birmingham, Huntsville, and Mobile send to Montgomery (the AL state Legislature).  Note: It is almost all 4-lane divided, but....

froggie

The more rural parts of existing US 80 (specifically Sumter County), perhaps.  But much of the corridor has development right along the roadway...this would require a significant frontage road system, buying out a lot of places, or a mix of both.  Given development, you'd most likely still need lengthy bypasses of Demopolis, Selma, and the Montgomery Airport area (tho the original plans for the Montgomery Outer Loop would take care of the latter).

And then, as bwana indicated, you have about 3 miles on either side of Uniontown that isn't even 4 lanes yet.

bwana39

Quote from: froggie on August 16, 2023, 12:12:41 PM

The more rural parts of existing US 80 (specifically Sumter County), perhaps.  But much of the corridor has development right along the roadway...this would require a significant frontage road system, buying out a lot of places, or a mix of both.  Given development, you'd most likely still need lengthy bypasses of Demopolis, Selma, and the Montgomery Airport area (tho the original plans for the Montgomery Outer Loop would take care of the latter).

And then, as bwana indicated, you have about 3 miles on either side of Uniontown that isn't even 4 lanes yet.

They could actually route it along AL-14 from Montgomery to Selma and miss a lot of the problems.

OTOH, a south western loop of Selma makes a lot of sense if you used the US-80 between them.

froggie

Routing it along 14 may miss some of the problems but creates a few large ones of its own.  Specifically, where/how to connect to 65.  You'd either have to cross the Alabama River and STILL deal with the airport development, or you feed it into Prattville and an already congested section of 65.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.