AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)  (Read 18227 times)

roadwaywiz95

• It's the Mario Cuomo Bridge, capisce?

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 09:43:30 PM
    • roadwaywiz
Re: West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2021, 10:44:07 PM »

Our next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series is scheduled to take place on Saturday (2/27) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile Corridor G of the Appalachian Development Highway System (US Route 119) and discuss the history and features of this highway all while enjoying a real-time video trip along the length of the highway between Pikeville, KY and Charleston, WV.

A link to the event location can be found below and we look forward to seeing you in attendance:

https://www.facebook.com/roadwaywiz/
https://www.youtube.com/user/roadwaywiz
https://www.instagram.com/roadwaywiz/

Clinched Mainline Interstates: 4,8,11,12,17,19,41,66,68,71,73,74(E),76(E),78,79,82,83,84(E/W),86(E/W),87(N/S),88(E/W),89,91,93,95,96,97,99,H1,H2,H3

roadwaywiz95

• It's the Mario Cuomo Bridge, capisce?

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 09:43:30 PM
    • roadwaywiz
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2021, 08:13:00 PM »

Our next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series is scheduled to take place on Saturday (3/6) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile Corridor L of the Appalachian Development Highway System (US Route 19) and discuss the history and features of this highway (including an in-depth discussion about the New River Gorge Bridge and its surrounding National Parkland) all while enjoying a real-time video trip along the length of the highway between Beckley and Sutton, WV.

A link to the event location can be found below and we look forward to seeing you in attendance:

https://www.facebook.com/roadwaywiz/
https://www.youtube.com/user/roadwaywiz
https://www.instagram.com/roadwaywiz/

Clinched Mainline Interstates: 4,8,11,12,17,19,41,66,68,71,73,74(E),76(E),78,79,82,83,84(E/W),86(E/W),87(N/S),88(E/W),89,91,93,95,96,97,99,H1,H2,H3

Avalanchez71

• Last Login: July 29, 2021, 10:58:05 PM
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2021, 02:32:05 PM »

The Turnpike board met this morning to outline the WV Turnpike toll hikes ostensibly to pay part of Gov. Justice's "roads to prosperty" borrowing program.  Legally public hearings have to be held, but, of course, nothing said there is considered.  Final approval will be in June, apparently to go into effect in January.  The news story I got had some gaps in it.

Standard car cash tolls will double from $2 to $4 per booth and from .40 to .80 for the US 19/Corridor L connector (this is the only ramp that is tolled, unlike most other toll roads the turnpike ended "side tolls" decades ago at legislative direction).  This means a round trip for the whole road will $24 and those using the Corridor L to I-77 system (the direct way from Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh to Florida) round trip would be $9.60. 

It is not clear from the article if other rates are also doubling, but I assume they are.  Currently an RV is $2.50 booth and .80 for the ramp, and 18 wheeler is $6.75 and $1.60.

This is very much a "soak the strangers" program, as two discounts will be offered.  The current discount for using a WV EZ pass transponder (other authorities' ones do not get it) cuts the current tolls to 1.30/booth and .26 for the ramp.  The article is not clear but these appear to double to 2.60 and . 52. 

But here is the big discount.  Prior to January 1, 2019 anyone (even non-residents) can buy a EZ Pass based yearly pass for special discount price $24 for three years, after which it will be $25/year.  You have the option of depositing additional funds on the account to make it be a standard EZ Pass out of state. 

At $24 for three years, and even thereafter for the standard $25/year, anyone who even passes through the state once or twice a year would be crazy to not get a pass.

Time to shunpike.

seicer

• Last Login: July 29, 2021, 12:38:15 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2021, 03:25:32 PM »

...you can't for much of its length, but good luck at that.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: July 12, 2021, 05:46:58 AM
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »

I did the parallel backroads bypass of the middle WV turnpike toll booth once, since someone posted about it on here. It was neat to do it once, but I probably won't ever do it again (the extra time and hilly/windy nature of the road wasn't worth the money saved IMO)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 10:08:57 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2021, 01:53:21 PM »

I did the parallel backroads bypass of the middle WV turnpike toll booth once, since someone posted about it on here. It was neat to do it once, but I probably won't ever do it again (the extra time and hilly/windy nature of the road wasn't worth the money saved IMO)

I drove the entire length of the parallel roads between Cabin Creek and Beckley once, just for fun. The middle portion of the route is indeed narrow and curvy, but the actual bypasses of the two toll plazas aren't too bad. Some improvements have been made to the portion between Mossy and Pax, probably because so many vehicles do use it as a bypass., I think there are truck prohibitions posted.

...you can't for much of its length, but good luck at that.

Actually, it's not that hard to do. If you're going south, exit at Chelyan and use either WV 61, or US 60 and WV 16, to connect with US 19 in Fayetteville or Oak Hill. And with the addition of the East Beckley Bypass, it's easier than ever to bypass the toll ramp where Corridor L meets the turnpike.

I identify as vaccinated.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »

I drove much of WV Route 10 between WV Route 16 near Mullens and US Route 19 near Princeton - a distance of around 26 miles, and it's smooth as glass after a much needed rehabilitation. It appears that the roadway surface was either repaved or rebuilt and all of the bridges have been extensively renovated as part of a Governor Justice Roads to Prosperity project.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 09:56:51 PM
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »

I drove much of WV Route 10 between WV Route 16 near Mullens and US Route 19 near Princeton - a distance of around 26 miles, and it's smooth as glass after a much needed rehabilitation. It appears that the roadway surface was either repaved or rebuilt and all of the bridges have been extensively renovated as part of a Governor Justice Roads to Prosperity project.

They excavated the existing gravel shoulders, replaced them with concrete, then repaved to widen the lanes and provide a narrow paved shoulder.

VTGoose

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 10:31:20 AM
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »

Monday was "bridge moving day" when the Wellsburg Bridge was floated from its construction site down the river to its actual location across the Ohio. See https://www.wtrf.com/brooke-county/watch-live-the-flotation-of-the-wellsburg-bridge/

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 09:32:24 PM
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2021, 07:12:40 PM »

Just had it hit my news feed that WVDot has awarded the 6 laning of I79 MP132-135.

SP Cook

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 05:15:57 PM
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2021, 01:47:27 PM »

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve signed.

Rothman

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 10:49:41 PM
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »

Saw the new welcome sign at the Canyon Rim Visitor Center this past Tuesday.

Really don't know what the site is preserving.  It still operates like a National Recreation Area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 09:56:51 PM
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2021, 08:54:27 PM »

Saw the new welcome sign at the Canyon Rim Visitor Center this past Tuesday.

Really don't know what the site is preserving.  It still operates like a National Recreation Area.

New River Gorge was a National River before. Gauley River is the one that is a National Recreation Area.

The National Park and Preserve designation comes from different uses for different parts of the NPS land. A handful of areas (mostly around the New River Gorge Bridge, Thurmond, and a couple other spots) are treated as National Park with all of the associated restrictions. The preserve designation applies to most of the gorge and allows things like hunting, which is banning in the park area.

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 09:32:24 PM
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2021, 09:32:24 PM »

So I was coming back from Pittsburgh  to hickory yesterday, saw the US 52 work.  Where will the new endpoint be.  Will 52 be rerouted as to connect North of Bluefield.  Are their even the earliest inkling of the current work being extended.  I saw that the old graded ramps at 460 have asphalt paving and new lighting fixtures  are installed.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 10:08:57 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2021, 09:41:06 PM »

So, WVDOT fabricates and installs their own panel signs? Kentucky uses contractors. (And probably would have set new posts instead of reusing the old ones.)

And it looks like West Virginia didn't go back to Clearview like Kentucky did when the IA got reinstated.

So I was coming back from Pittsburgh  to hickory yesterday, saw the US 52 work.  Where will the new endpoint be.  Will 52 be rerouted as to connect North of Bluefield.  Are their even the earliest inkling of the current work being extended.  I saw that the old graded ramps at 460 have asphalt paving and new lighting fixtures  are installed.

The work extends to WV 123 over on the other side of two ridgelines. I was up there a few weeks ago and it looks like some of the grade will extend beyond the bridge crossing WV 123, but I saw no signs (yet) of an access road being built between US 52 and US 123.

I have some photos on my Flickr page.

I'm not sure if US 52 will remain on its current alignment (short concurrency with US 460, then along Cumberland Road, and then turning down into downtown Bluefield, then a short wrong-way concurrency with US 19) with the new alignment getting some temporary state or county designation, or if US 52 will be routed over the new alignment and then concurrent with WV 123 to the existing US 52 intersection northwest of Bluefield.

I identify as vaccinated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.