Alliance of American Football and CBS have a broadcast deal for 2019

Started by Alps, March 20, 2018, 08:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Roadrunner75

I'm sure it and the XFL 2.0 will match the popularity and longevity of such great success stories as the USFL, WLAF/NFL Europe and, uh, the XFL 1.0.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

tchafe1978

I can see it having more success than all the other failed leagues if it doesn't market itself as competing with the NFL. It will have a spring season not a fall season so it won't be going up directly with the NFL. I think a "minor" league football league is a good idea. Give players that are fighting to make NFL rosters a place to hone and show off their skills, and a place for NFL teams to develop players outside of the college game. MLB, NBA, and NHL all have minor leagues that act as a feeder system, so why not the NFL?

1995hoo

Of course, the USFL was intended to be a spring league that wouldn't compete with the NFL. One of the owners was gung-ho about going in a different direction and moving to the fall and he got the others on board with his ideas. I wonder whatever happened to that guy.  :hmmm:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SP Cook

People always say they want more pro football.  Until they are given more pro football.  It never works. 

ET21

"Alliance of American Football" First thought in my mind is the Rebel Allaince (AAF) against the Galactic Empire (NFL)  :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 21, 2018, 08:45:11 AM
It will have a spring season not a fall season so it won't be going up directly with the NFL.

Arena football has a spring/summer schedule and it's been on life support for years.  Even the Georgia Force, whose home state considers football a major religion, first moved to a smaller arena and then folded.

1995hoo

The Arena Football League is down to four teams this year, and two of them have the same owner (Ted Leonsis owns the Washington Valor and the Baltimore Brigade).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ixnay

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 21, 2018, 09:23:01 AM
Of course, the USFL was intended to be a spring league that wouldn't compete with the NFL. One of the owners was gung-ho about going in a different direction and moving to the fall and he got the others on board with his ideas. I wonder whatever happened to that guy.  :hmmm:

The USFL sued the NFL in the meantime.  The USFL won the verdict but got practically no award.

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.