News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Saturday October 27, 2018: Eastern Catskill Mountains Road Meet

Started by cl94, March 23, 2018, 11:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dates work for the meet?

October 27 (Saturday)
6 (75%)
October 28 (Sunday)
4 (50%)
November 3 (Saturday, last day of Daylight Savings Time)
6 (75%)
November 4 (Sunday, first day after DST ends)
2 (25%)
November 10 (Saturday)
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

cl94

I was originally thinking of this being at least a year in the future, but discussions with others and a real lack of late-year meets got me to push this thing forward. I hereby announce the 2018 Kingston NY Roadmeet. This meet, while centered on historic Kingston, will venture into the eastern Catskill Mountains, an area filled with road-related treasures. The meet in New York's first capital will feature:

• A 1921 suspension bridge over Rondout Creek
  • A covered bridge over the Wallkill River
  • The infamous Interstate 587
  • NY 32's "backwards" one-way pair in Kingston
  • The Rosendale Trestle, soaring 150 feet above NY 214 and Rondout Creek
  • Portions of New York's Catskill Aqueduct system
  • Fall colors in the Catskill Mountains
  • Tons of old bridges and signs

I'm also trying to figure out how to work drives on Ulster CR 47 (former NY 42 and the highest all-weather road in New York) and/or NY 214 (New York's last unpaved state route, paved in the 50s) into a tour route.

My current thought is to have this thing in September or early October (after peak tourist season, but before snow and while hotels are relatively cheap in the area). A poll for potential dates will be posted in a couple months.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

froggie

QuoteHold it with foliage.

...which might as well be a second "peak tourist season"...

vdeane

If the Catskills are like the Adirondacks, they may actually be worse in the fall than "peak tourist season" because the kids are back in school, confining all travel to the weekends.

I expect I'll be there.  It's so close that the only way I wouldn't be is if I have a conflict.  I think there were plans of Memphis in the fall too, which I've been looking at, but I'll have to see how some things go before making a final call on that one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

It will be before peak leaf season. If it's anything like last year, the leaves will still be green in September and we'll have a ghost town.

Edit: I'm tentatively thinking September 8th. Weekend after Labor Day. 15th could also work. Both would be between the tourist seasons, but in a time of the year currently devoid of meets.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hbelkins

I'm giving serious thought to curtailing my participation in meets (explanation will probably be forthcoming on my personal Facebook page in a few days) but if that doesn't happen, Sept. 8 is definitely out because it would require travel on my wife's birthday.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

baugh17

At the moment, I don't have anything major planned in September and it's certainly close enough.  The only thing that I have penciled in is on the 15th (May try to see the Mets play at Fenway).

vdeane

Forgot to mention: I like the idea of going on former NY 42.  I've been interested in "clinching the gap" in the route, though it's not otherwise in my immediate plans.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on March 25, 2018, 05:26:10 PM
Forgot to mention: I like the idea of going on former NY 42.  I've been interested in "clinching the gap" in the route, though it's not otherwise in my immediate plans.

That's one of the more interesting road-related things in the state for a few reasons. Don't know if there's a good way to fit it in, though, as it would add 90 minutes minimum to the route, there's not a ton on the way to/from it other than aqueduct outlets, it's a relatively boring road from a scenery standpoint, and getting to/from it bypasses the bathroom stop (I was thinking the Catskill Interpretive Center on NY 28, as there very few public restrooms in the Catskills once you get away from the Thruway corridor). That may turn into a "get this on your way in/out if you have time before/after" attraction so we have time to visit old Exit 20 and see more old bridges.

kalvado

For now I'll just express some interest and make sure I'm not missing any updates in the thread..

jpi

September 15 may be more doable for me since I plan to be in central PA the next weekend for the annual Hershey toy show, Sept. 8 is no good for me.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

Quote from: jpi on March 26, 2018, 09:24:50 AM
September 15 may be more doable for me since I plan to be in central PA the next weekend for the annual Hershey toy show, Sept. 8 is no good for me.

I hope to get a date nailed down during the PA meet, as most of the potential attendees will be there. Quite a few of the northeast actives aren't on the forum, but they will likely be at your meet and we can all discuss particulars.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on March 25, 2018, 07:45:54 PM
That's one of the more interesting road-related things in the state for a few reasons. Don't know if there's a good way to fit it in, though, as it would add 90 minutes minimum to the route, there's not a ton on the way to/from it other than aqueduct outlets, it's a relatively boring road from a scenery standpoint, and getting to/from it bypasses the bathroom stop (I was thinking the Catskill Interpretive Center on NY 28, as there very few public restrooms in the Catskills once you get away from the Thruway corridor). That may turn into a "get this on your way in/out if you have time before/after" attraction so we have time to visit old Exit 20 and see more old bridges.
Yeah, it's definitely out of the way (you'd probably want to cut NY 55A also if you cut it).  I may consider clinching it on the way, though I have concerns about whether traffic moves well enough on US 209 to not have such a clinch cause me to be late to the meet.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on March 26, 2018, 05:09:25 PM
Quote from: cl94 on March 25, 2018, 07:45:54 PM
Yeah, it's definitely out of the way (you'd probably want to cut NY 55A also if you cut it).  I may consider clinching it on the way, though I have concerns about whether traffic moves well enough on US 209 to not have such a clinch cause me to be late to the meet.

US 209 is easy to get around if needed. I often use Ulster CR 1 (Lucas Ave/Turnpike) through that area if traffic is slow. That's probably the way you'd want to go anyway if I end up choosing a place in Kingston. I need to ask family to re-learn which diners are the good ones, but one of the ones in Kingston is run by a CIA-trained chef, IINM.

dgolub

Definitely interested.  Since we're talking September/October, let's just make sure that it doesn't get scheduled on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.

cl94

Quote from: dgolub on March 30, 2018, 09:09:22 AM
Since we're talking September/October, let's just make sure that it doesn't get scheduled on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.

Both fall during the week, so not an issue. Given the large Jewish population in some of the areas we will be visiting, I did consider the high holy days when looking at dates.

cl94

I added a poll on here so we could see what dates work for everyone. September is generally outside of the peak tourist season in the Catskills once we get past Labor Day, as it's generally before the leaves start changing. Saturday meets seem to work best for people, but I would definitely be open to adding Sunday options.

A couple of the stops would require a bit of walking, with one (the Rosendale Trestle) being roughly half a mile each way on level ground. That being said, this and the other long-ish walk stop (Kaaterskill Falls overlook) are two can't-miss items in the area.

jpi

My vote is the 15th and 29th, either one of those would work for me since I can tie it in with my central PA trip to do the Hershey toy show on 9/23
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

signalman

I voted for all weekends. With enough advance notice,  I don't envision any weekend being an issue for me.  Actually, I may have to house and dog sit the third week of September, but that's still up in the air. And if it ends up happening when I'm unavailable then so be it. I guess you decided not to postpone it until next year?  Last I knew, you were unsure.

cl94

Quote from: signalman on May 14, 2018, 05:42:47 PM
I guess you decided not to postpone it until next year?  Last I knew, you were unsure.

Nope. We need some late-year meets this year. The mountains I want to hike aren't going anywhere (and frankly, 2019 or later will probably be a better time to hike them because I'll have a more flexible schedule).

vdeane

As of right now, I'm good for any of the weekends, though I prefer a gap from Labor Day.  I'll withhold voting from now in case anything changes (particularly if any other fall meets appear).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cl94

Alps

vdeane

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.