News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Proposed I-475 through downtown Flint, Michigan ...

Started by renegade, October 22, 2020, 02:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2020, 08:33:15 AM
It's not that they refused to put an Interstate on M-6 it's that they didn't get it approved to be an Interstate. It's the sign that MDOT doesn't bother worrying about if a freeway is an Interstate or not.

Just because a highway is a freeway doesn't mean that it needs to be an Interstate and in Michigan there are several freeway alignments that are not Interstate's, such as US-10, US-127, US-131, M-6, M-39, M-10, M-8, parts of M-5, M-14 and so on. Michigan has 13 Interstate highways totaling 1,239 miles, in comparison North Carolina has 19 Interstate highways totaling 1,296 miles (just 57 more miles than Michigan with 6 more Interstate's).

And I'd argue that's a good thing.  Not everything should be an Interstate Highway, even if it technically meets the standards for one.  The situation I described in the Bay Area led to things like CA 238 because signed as an Interstate.  Another example of it was done right was Metro Phoenix with Loop 101, Loop 202, Loop 303, AZ 51, AZ 143, US 60, and AZ 24. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 27, 2020, 09:41:45 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2020, 08:33:15 AM
It's not that they refused to put an Interstate on M-6 it's that they didn't get it approved to be an Interstate. It's the sign that MDOT doesn't bother worrying about if a freeway is an Interstate or not.

Just because a highway is a freeway doesn't mean that it needs to be an Interstate and in Michigan there are several freeway alignments that are not Interstate's, such as US-10, US-127, US-131, M-6, M-39, M-10, M-8, parts of M-5, M-14 and so on. Michigan has 13 Interstate highways totaling 1,239 miles, in comparison North Carolina has 19 Interstate highways totaling 1,296 miles (just 57 more miles than Michigan with 6 more Interstate's).

And I'd argue that's a good thing.  Not everything should be an Interstate Highway, even if it technically meets the standards for one.  The situation I described in the Bay Area led to things like CA 238 because signed as an Interstate.  Another example of it was done right was Metro Phoenix with Loop 101, Loop 202, Loop 303, AZ 51, AZ 143, US 60, and AZ 24.
I feel that Michigan doesn't see the need to have more Interstate's and I think MDOT has said they are done building Interstate's so you will likely never see another Interstate highway built in Michigan. They are having enough problems trying to maintain the one's they have now too.

If you think about it with Michigan the population centers are well served with freeways and we're familiar with their route number so to ease confusion it's nice that MDOT doesn't do that. I know the U.P. has no need for another Interstate, I-75 is overkill between St. Ignace and Sault Ste. Marie plus Copper Harbor is the farthest place from an Interstate highway in the lower 48. What a beautiful town that is btw.

Ryctor2018

There are several patterns with freeways/tollways around the nation. Some are like Illinois & North Carolina. Almost any 4 lane limited access road is an Interstate in these states. Then there are states like Michigan, Arizona, (and somewhat) Kentucky. These states build 4 lane limited access, then assign what number is appropriate to the highway (or none in case of KY). The road need not be interstate standard, but interstate quality.
Some states like Wisconsin, Ohio & Texas will build a 4 lane to different standards depending on population, location, vpd and other factors. Sometimes for the same road. U.S. 59 would be an Interstate from the beginning in Illinois, but Texas its 4 lane undivided, divided, expressway, freeway, it didn't matter. Not until that I-69 money came. The same for Kentucky upgrading its parkways to Interstates; since the Feds are incentivizing the upgrade why not.
The next group are the toll states. Florida and Oklahoma went the toll road route. South Florida has I-95, a few spurs of parent route, the beginning of I-75 and nothing but toll roads for the rest. I think I like it the way it is. Not every part of the country needs to be the same. Build the facility that's needed for its own community.
Back to the topic at hand. I-475 won't move for years simply because Michigan does not have the money to do this now. It also serves as an alternate to I-75 if that is backed up. I can see MDOT working with Flint to modify the freeway to better server the community.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 475 should remain in existence, although they should definitely consider capping portions of it, such as the portions both north and south of Interstate 69.

Flint1979

Don't worry it'll never get done. Flint is one city where nothing ever gets done or it takes a very long time to get done it's a very outdated city and what I mean is everything is old there so why expect anything to get done to I-475? MDOT will probably pass on it or take a long time to act on it themselves.

Henry

I too think it's a crazy idea, and hope that MDOT never goes for it. I don't know about I-475, but it deserves to exist, unlike I-375 further down the road in Detroit.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

skluth

I can see a case for it being eliminated between Fifth St and Broadway Blvd, running it as a boulevard along Chavez Drive. It's not a great case though, and the benefit of it also being able to alleviate traffic from the main I-75 line is an added reason to keep the highway. I think capping I-475 on one or more of the blocks over the freeway would be a better solution and cheaper than a complete redesign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.