Meta > Suggestions and Questions

UPDATED: User profile political content restrictions

(1/14) > >>

Scott5114:
Due to a recent rash of users posting inflammatory content in their user profiles, political content in your user profile—that's your signature, user title, avatar, username, anything else attached to your post that you have the ability to publicly display—is expressly prohibited as of May 31, 2018. The official rule is as follows:

--- Quote ---Political content of any kind (statements of political affiliation, endorsement of or opposition to any candidate, content demeaning or attacking a political ideology, etc.) in your forum profile (signatures, user titles, avatars, et al.) is not allowed. The staff reserves the right to remove or edit content that an administrator judges to be political in nature.
--- End quote ---

(The exact wording of this rule may be tweaked in the next few days as necessary; I will do my best to keep this copy of it updated.) We will allow a short grace period for affected users to update their own profiles to be in compliance with the rule. After that, an administrator will remove the content from your profile on sight. I'm sure it goes without saying that if an admin removes political content from your signature and you put it back, further moderation action will be taken. But you all knew that already.

The existing political content rule for posts (that is it discouraged but not banned entirely so long as it pertains to roads) still applies. Let's keep the political drama on Facebook, okay? This is where we go to fight about fonts.

If you have any questions, this thread is open for discussion. Thanks for your participation in the forum, guys; I know it sucks having more rules to keep track of, but we want to keep this a place everyone enjoys coming to.

[Edited to promote text to purple. -S.]

1:
Do I need to change my avatar?

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: 1 on May 31, 2018, 08:25:06 PM ---Do I need to change my avatar?

--- End quote ---

Any case that isn't totally clear-cut would have to be determined by consensus of the mod staff, but with that asterisk on it, I would say no, you won't have to. With this change, we're looking more at clearly partisan things such as expressing support or disdain for particular political parties, ideologies, or individual politicians.

Takumi:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2018, 08:31:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: 1 on May 31, 2018, 08:25:06 PM ---Do I need to change my avatar?

--- End quote ---

Any case that isn't totally clear-cut would have to be determined by consensus of the mod staff, but with that asterisk on it, I would say no, you won't have to. With this change, we're looking more at clearly partisan things such as expressing support or disdain for particular political parties, ideologies, or individual politicians.

--- End quote ---
And if someone changes theirs to individual forum members? Hypothetically speaking...

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: Takumi on May 31, 2018, 09:21:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2018, 08:31:56 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
And if someone changes theirs to individual forum members? Hypothetically speaking...

--- End quote ---

That is covered by an existing rule:

--- Quote ---Posting harassing or insulting remarks towards another member. Later editing or deleting your post does not absolve you from punishment. Learn respect.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version