News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 06, 2021, 10:49:37 AM
(For US 322) PennDOT - District 2 News: PennDOT Announces Official Completion of Route 322/Potters Mills Gap Project
This was already done and I've driven it several times already. The most recent time I recall was in July, when I drove up to the Sheetz at PA 45/144. Unless they were working on tying old US 322 to the new road?

The next logical step is to connect this to Boalsburg, which should be a breeze - a few self storage businesses and a Harley-Davidson dealership. But it's PennDOT, which apparently thinks a bridge over the Susquehanna takes six (seven?) years to build.

Out of curiosity, when was the Walnut Street Bridge in Harrisburg closed to vehicle traffic? It definitely had to be before 1996, but I can't imagine two cars trying to pass each other on this. I suspect the bridge was one way traffic only (contraflow system maybe?) or just a pedestrian bridge to the west shore.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 07, 2021, 12:30:20 AM
(For US 322) PennDOT - District 2 News: PennDOT Announces Official Completion of Route 322/Potters Mills Gap Project
This was already done and I've driven it several times already. The most recent time I recall was in July, when I drove up to the Sheetz at PA 45/144. Unless they were working on tying old US 322 to the new road?

The next logical step is to connect this to Boalsburg, which should be a breeze - a few self storage businesses and a Harley-Davidson dealership. But it's PennDOT, which apparently thinks a bridge over the Susquehanna takes six (seven?) years to build. 

Yeah, they were still doing work along the Old US 322 alignment.  At least a section of it had been closed to traffic since the new alignment opened until recently.
Out of curiosity, when was the Walnut Street Bridge in Harrisburg closed to vehicle traffic? It definitely had to be before 1996, but I can't imagine two cars trying to pass each other on this. I suspect the bridge was one way traffic only (contraflow system maybe?) or just a pedestrian bridge to the west shore.

It was closed to vehicular traffic in 1972 after Agnes based on this link.  The part west of City Island was just a pedestrian bridge before it got destroyed by the floods in 1996.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Bitmapped

You have to maintain access for adjoining property owners. That means building frontage roads, or more likely here, building the road on a new alignment and keeping the existing road in place to serve local traffic.

74/171FAN

Alps

Traffic standards were not modern in 1976. You still have bridges like Washington's Crossing that are at most 20' wide and still 2-way.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 07, 2021, 10:00:14 AM

Yeah, they were still doing work along the Old US 322 alignment.  At least a section of it had been closed to traffic since the new alignment opened until recently.

It was closed to vehicular traffic in 1972 after Agnes based on this link.  The part west of City Island was just a pedestrian bridge before it got destroyed by the floods in 1996.

StreetView has a good shot of the Historical placard on the Island side of the bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/8FNJKS25XTpceJLC7

74/171FAN

roadman65

I heard on FB that PA 576 is now open south of US 22 to I-79.  Has anyone been on it who lives nearby?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2021, 10:51:54 PM
I heard on FB that PA 576 is now open south of US 22 to I-79.  Has anyone been on it who lives nearby?

I find that hard to believe to be honest, especially since they just had the open house today.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/10/09/pedestrian-bicycles-southern-beltway-preview/
(And the article says the 15th still for opening.)

Also: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2294.0

roadman65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 09, 2021, 11:54:50 PM

I find that hard to believe to be honest, especially since they just had the open house today.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/10/09/pedestrian-bicycles-southern-beltway-preview/
(And the article says the 15th still for opening.)

Also: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2294.0

I figured as much. That is why I asked.   People get overzealous and post photos just days before the actual openings.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MASTERNC

It's supposed to open Friday, though not all ramps at I-79 will open this year.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 12, 2021, 09:02:33 AM
Wikipedia says that PA 235 has an unsigned concurrency with PA 17 and that they both end at US 11/15 in Liverpool

However when I pull the Perry County SLDs dated 12/31/20

Page 213 has SR 0235 ending at SR 0017.   I'd expect this anyway, since, for example, you'll see SR 0015 not really existing in these diagrams (as US 15 is entirely concurrent with US 11 in Perry County, so it will only be SR 0011).  In both cases, if PA 235 actually ended at PA 17, or if it didn't – the SR 0235 designation would end here, as PA 17 is a lower number of the same class, and so even a signed PA 17/235 concurrency would simply bear SR 0017.

Pages 253-254 have SR 0017 between SR 0235 and SR 0011 (US 11/15) but I can't tell how I would read if PA 235 is also existing (but not signed) along here.

Source:

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/Bureaus/BOMO/RM/RITS/Annual%20Electronic%20SLDs%20by%20County/District%208/Perry%20Without%20Pipes.pdf

On this note, are there any other weird hidden concurrencies in PA like this?   For the record, I am not talking about not-signed-but-obviously-implied ones like US 30/PA 23 along the Lancaster Bypass, but here – why would PA 235 be extended along PA 17 just to end and not continue after?

I emailed District 8 on this (thankfully because I added a reminder to my phone for an unrelated subject that led me to being reminded of it), and they indicated to me that the PA 17/PA 235 concurrency is a Type 10 Map Error meaning that it does not actually exist.  PA 235 ends at PA 17 as it should.

storm2k

Drove 80 end-to-end today. Someone needs to explain to PennDOT D1 how to properly do x-line height for the Clearview they sadly insist on doing. Too many signs have the lower case letters so small in comparison to their capitals that they're hard to read. I'll be some engineer didn't have the text settings right in SignCAD or whatever equivalent they use in PA, but ugh, the signs are ugly and hard to read.

74/171FAN

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on October 22, 2021, 04:46:58 PM
Drove 80 end-to-end today. Someone needs to explain to PennDOT D1 how to properly do x-line height for the Clearview they sadly insist on doing. Too many signs have the lower case letters so small in comparison to their capitals that they're hard to read. I'll be some engineer didn't have the text settings right in SignCAD or whatever equivalent they use in PA, but ugh, the signs are ugly and hard to read.
Classic problem: lowercase letters are 3/4 height of uppercase, so they specify 12" capitals and 9" lower case and you get 27/4" lowercase instead. Every plan I ever review, I say "just give the upper case text height only". (Note it's not 3/4 in C***view but I refuse to acknowledge it)

74/171FAN

ARMOURERERIC

As far as these proposed bridge tollings...they better have an air tight 75 guaranteed life span with no more than a 20-30 year toll.   Way to many on the proposed toll bridge list are way to new to be needing replacement.

famartin

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 25, 2021, 06:45:24 PM
As far as these proposed bridge tollings...they better have an air tight 75 guaranteed life span with no more than a 20-30 year toll.   Way to many on the proposed toll bridge list are way to new to be needing replacement.

I've always thought the "toll til its paid back" idea is mostly a bait and switch. They get used to it being tolled and then suddenly it needs more repairs or expansion which can only be funded by tolls.

Are there that many roads where they ever actually did as suggested, pay off the original bonds and then make it free? It seems more the exception than the norm.

ARMOURERERIC

The I 78 bridge here is only 36 years old, I would not trust an agency with tolling a new bridge when they did not do it right the last time.

As a digression, one never discussed aspect of the demise of the Pittsburgh trolley system was the conscious full knowlegde descision at the very beginning to build the system from 30 year life span parts paid for with 50 year bonds.   This seems like another such stunt.

Roadsguy

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 25, 2021, 07:17:53 PM
The I 78 bridge here is only 36 years old, I would not trust an agency with tolling a new bridge when they did not do it right the last time.

It's actually 66 years old; it was only rehabbed in 1985.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.