Disciplinary action for repeat threadjackers

Started by abefroman329, January 26, 2019, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on January 27, 2019, 06:47:34 PM
I can't recall ever seeing a post that wasn't at least partly in response to something prior to it.

I've seen it a few times.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2019, 09:19:57 PM
I can't recall ever seeing a post that wasn't at least partly in response to something prior to it.

No kill I.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2019, 03:01:58 PM
Conversation drift happens in real life. Why shouldn't it happen here?

Back in the days of BBSes, we called it Topic Drift...

Roadgeekteen

The vast majority of "threadjackings" aren't even threadjacking. They're just meandering conversation that started off related to the original topic.

To quote a recent example, on the Arizona DDI thread, I brought up the signs at the interchange in question, which are to be replaced as part of the construction project. The signs are heavily based on British roundabout signs. As someone who is always saddened by the disappearance of an unusual sign, I felt the need to bring them up. All subsequent posts were about the signs in my post, and not the DDI itself. To someone who was just scrolling through, my post looks like a jacking of the original topic, as I made almost no mention of the new DDI. But, my post does have roots in the original topic: the signs wouldn't be going away if Arizona weren't modifying the interchange. All someone has to do is read backwards to find the source of the apparently-off-topic discussion.

If we are to define what is "off-topic" (which is the only way to acceptably moderate "threadjackings"), there needs to be a definition for "on-topic". As that is, realistically, impossible, I don't think the moderators need to do anything more than what they are doing now. Hell, is there even such a thing as "threadjacking"? I can't recall ever seeing a post that wasn't at least partly in response to something prior to it.
Yeah, the stock market thread got off topic because stocks are inherently political.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

I think the solution is to topic ban him from inserting politics into threads. The restriction does not apply if previous posts or the thread itself was already political.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2019, 10:36:53 PM
I think the solution is to topic ban him from inserting politics into threads. The restriction does not apply if previous posts or the thread itself was already political.
Aren't politics already banned/discouraged?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

My fondest example of this has nothing to do with this forum.  My parents and extended family were eating dinner at a restaurant.  A few of us were talking about something (Let's say, sports).  My mom, always trying to insert herself into every conversation, suddenly blurts out "My favorite channel is the Weather Channel!"  We laughed hysterically, not only because she admits that without a second though, but our conversation had absolutely nothing to do with weather or tv!

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 08:16:52 AM

Doesn't stop some people.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Quote from: US71 on January 28, 2019, 08:42:51 AM

Such as a comment about building a wall that used to be reply #8 in this thread.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 28, 2019, 09:32:31 AM

Such as a comment about building a wall that used to be reply #8 in this thread.
I hate when politics get into unrelated topics.

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 09:45:31 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 28, 2019, 09:32:31 AM

I hate when politics get into unrelated topics.

Politics is, sadly, a given sometimes. It's when it's irrelevant or incendiary that causes problems.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

"Irrelevant or incendiary"  describes what reply #8 was intended to be. No prizes for guessing the origin.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 28, 2019, 10:07:12 AM
"Irrelevant or incendiary"  describes what reply #8 was intended to be. No prizes for guessing the origin.
"Irrelevant or incendiary" also isn't exclusive to a particular boarder.  We have more than one individual who can't seem to discuss what they had for breakfast without mentioning which politician(s) they hate.

vdeane

I believe there's at least one person for whom the thread locking is the objective.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abefroman329

Quote from: vdeane on January 28, 2019, 12:52:27 PM
I believe there's at least one person for whom the thread locking is the objective.
Possibly.  I believe there's at least one person who steers threads towards controversial topics deliberately.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2019, 08:27:32 AM

My fondest example of this has nothing to do with this forum.  My parents and extended family were eating dinner at a restaurant.  A few of us were talking about something (Let's say, sports).  My mom, always trying to insert herself into every conversation, suddenly blurts out "My favorite channel is the Weather Channel!"  We laughed hysterically, not only because she admits that without a second though, but our conversation had absolutely nothing to do with weather or tv!

The funny thing is, if something like that happened on the forum, I don't even think I'd be angry. I would find it more funny than anything. and I say that because I'm not sure how I'd react, because I've never seen anything like that. Apparently others have?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 26, 2019, 08:57:57 PM

Quote from: oscar on January 26, 2019, 08:42:45 PM
What exactly is "thread-jacking"?

In this case, steering the conversation towards controversial topics in a non-controversial thread.

I agree.  Thread drift is natural, but going off-topic into a controversial one is what causes problems.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2019, 01:11:13 AM
I personally think people yelling for threads to be locked are worse than threads going off topic.

If someone wants to contribute to a topic that has been derailed, then just contribute. Often that'll bring the talk back to the subject. People yelling to get a topic locked or stating 'in before locked' aren't doing anything to help.

I agree.  The best way to get a thread back on topic is to post something meaningful about the original topic.  Once two or three people have done that, the flames usually die down.

This is what I think works well:

Normal thread drift – No moderation needed.  The OP and other members tend to gently nudge things back on track if they feel like it, and otherwise it's no big deal.

Thread drift into controversial subject matter – Purple text from a mod.  I discourage the deletion of posts, but I do understand it may be warranted (rarely).

Multiple offenses by the same person – PM from a mod reminding the offender of the specific forum guidelines.

Ignoring mod chastisement – Temporary ban.

Quote from: NE2 on January 28, 2019, 02:26:50 PM
I'm trying to poo right now.

That's cool.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 28, 2019, 02:54:45 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 26, 2019, 08:57:57 PM

Quote from: oscar on January 26, 2019, 08:42:45 PM
What exactly is "thread-jacking"?

In this case, steering the conversation towards controversial topics in a non-controversial thread.

I agree.  Thread drift is natural, but going off-topic into a controversial one is what causes problems.

I don't mind when it happens; after all, roads take us to other places, and there's all sorts of side subjects around these boards. Some of it is totally natural, and you learn a lot more about individuals from 'natural' thread drift, than you would from whether they like I-238 or not.

Yet, there's a handful of members who damn well know they're steering it into territory that isn't up for discussion, and they do it time and time again. There's going to be some tangential political discussion involving roads and transportation issues, but there's no reason for adults to let it bleed into every discussion. Most of us don't need to know everyone's busy-body opinion on where we need to put our private parts, most of us don't want to constantly hear that the sky is always "falling", how society is going down the crapper, and that you think you're paying for stuff you don't like nor use so that's terrible and stupid.

But...it hasn't really bugged me enough to stop coming here. If it bugs me enough, I'll let them know directly.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on January 28, 2019, 03:13:09 PM
you learn a lot more about individuals from 'natural' thread drift, than you would from whether they like I-238 or not.

I'm not on here to learn about individuals.  I'm on here to discuss road-related topics.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

slorydn1

Quote from: kphoger on January 28, 2019, 04:06:55 PM
you learn a lot more about individuals from 'natural' thread drift, than you would from whether they like I-238 or not.

I'm not on here to learn about individuals.  I'm on here to discuss road-related topics.

We could always discuss the Hypoten....... oh never mind. :biggrin:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

abefroman329

Turns out you can learn a lot about the former from the latter!

kphoger

I'm serious.  If the justification for a certain moderation policy is that we can learn about each other, then it's not a good justification.  This is a topic-based forum, not just a free-for-all chatroom like IRC.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on January 28, 2019, 05:12:08 PM
I'm serious.  If the justification for a certain moderation policy is that we can learn about each other, then it's not a good justification.  This is a topic-based forum, not just a free-for-all chatroom like IRC.
Well this is a forum, not a super serious road scholar convention.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 28, 2019, 05:12:08 PM
As far as I can tell, no one with any authority is taking my suggestion seriously, so there's no need to approach it from that standpoint.

adventurernumber1

I see the forum experience on here as a hybrid of the two. The board is centered around road-related topics, and that is the bulk of what is being discussed, but as we talk about it, communicate, and interact as a community, we naturally learn more about each other along the way, as a result. While roads are the common ground and the base of most discussions, we all learn about our individual selves to some extent, and we all contribute uniquely to the roadgeek community. I don't see discussing road-related topics and learning more about ourselves over-time as always being mutually exclusive.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.