News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Duval County Meet-Postponed

Started by kevinb1994, February 20, 2019, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

This road meet is currently planned to start somewhere in Duval County. I was told to include the bridges across the river, but I'm gonna have to throw some water on making any of those bridges a highlight of this potential meet. This meet will, at the very least, include expressway driving, more likely than not on Butler Boulevard up to, and including, the construction project in the vicinity of San Pablo Road.

I'm also considering incorporating some of the Beaches in the area for this meet, including Atlantic Beach. (

This may mean incorporating A1A and Atlantic Boulevard (formerly known as Beach Road outside of the old Jacksonville city limits) into the meet, along with seeing as much old alignments and side roads as possible.

Alps

Alps

Max Rockatansky

I'm up for Orlando stuff next year.  I'm probably back to annual Florida visits after this past month.  Generally I'm up for anything so long as it's interesting.  I'd like to see the widened version of FL 15 in Hoffner and Semoran on FL 436. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 21, 2019, 07:44:18 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2019, 03:26:38 PM
I'm up for Orlando stuff next year.  I'm probably back to annual Florida visits after this past month.  Generally I'm up for anything so long as it's interesting.  I'd like to see the widened version of FL 15 in Hoffner and Semoran on FL 436.

I believe Semoran will be on the itinerary but don't think FL 15 will be.

15 is more of a personal wish list, in particular the section between US 17/92 and FL 528.  I didn't have it as one of my primary roads I wanted to visit on my last trip but I'm retrospect I should have given the odd alignments in addition to the improvements on Hoffner.  The segment between US 17/92 and FL 408 has brick surfacing which is odd unto itself.  I used to run 15 every week, it definitely is high on my personal list during the next visit.  Orange Avenue/FL 527 might be up there too for me given the US 17/92 original surface alignment connection.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 18, 2019, 03:27:59 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 18, 2019, 01:19:41 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 18, 2019, 08:40:58 AM
HOLY SHIT SHEETZ A WAWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIFY
Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

I've never really understood the appeal to Wawa.  It has some okay sandwiches but I would never choose it over Publix unless I was in a hurry.  The Wawa on Semoran and Lee Vista was mainly convenient for reasonable gas compared to the rip off stations approaching OIA.  I've always felt I was missing the punch line somehow when I was living in Florida. 

Alps

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 18, 2019, 03:55:43 AM
FYI this is more or less an update; a Wawa is planned for Arlington Road and University Boulevard, and (if possible) it will be a stopping point for this planned meet. The Town and Country strip mall would also be used for parking (and to swap cars) if necessary.
I'm waiting for 2 people to RSVP and then you cancel the meet

cl94

Will this meet actually occur? Or will it become a repeat of the Jacksonville meet canceled due to phantom rainstorms after at least one person already departed for it?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 18, 2019, 08:22:21 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on November 18, 2019, 07:36:46 PM
I'll believe it when I see it happen.
As long as things don't backfire like they did earlier this year.

I don't want to come across as mean or insensitive (just wanting to politely point something out to you so you're aware), but you unfortunately left a bad impression within the roadgeek community about any road meet that you might try to host in the future... because of what happened with the Jacksonville meet this past February that was cancelled at the last minute. From what I understand, your parents played a big role in the cancellation of that meet. But regardless of the reason, you made a commitment and backed out of that commitment at the last minute with a flimsy excuse. I'm hopeful that this won't happen again for you, but just be mindful that some of us in the community will be reluctant to plan on attending anything you host because of what happened for your first attempt of hosting a meet.

Maybe some folks will give you another chance. But why are we talking about a potential road meet that's a year and a half away? Let's get through 2020 first.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 18, 2019, 09:57:07 PM
I have an idea for 2020 that was posted to your 2020 meets thread. Hope you are aware of my plans for next year in the spring.

Who posted the idea? I just checked that thread and I don't see anything posted from you there. And what's the idea?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 18, 2019, 09:49:53 PM

I don't want to come across as mean or insensitive (just wanting to politely point something out to you so you're aware), but you unfortunately left a bad impression within the roadgeek community about any road meet that you might try to host in the future... because of what happened with the Jacksonville meet this past February that was cancelled at the last minute. From what I understand, your parents played a big role in the cancellation of that meet. But regardless of the reason, you made a commitment and backed out of that commitment at the last minute with a flimsy excuse. I'm hopeful that this won't happen again for you, but just be mindful that some of us in the community will be reluctant to plan on attending anything you host because of what happened for your first attempt of hosting a meet.

Maybe some folks will give you another chance. But why are we talking about a potential road meet that's a year and a half away? Let's get through 2020 first.

I started to say I haven't attempted anything since I had to cancel the New River Gorge/Beckley meet due to health issues, but then I remembered I did do the western Kentucky meet after that. Attendance was minimal (you came) and I hope my need to cancel the earlier meet didn't play a role in people deciding not to come.

As for Wawa, my opinion's well-known. Not as good as Sheetz, because the menu isn't as expansive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2019, 02:41:37 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 18, 2019, 09:49:53 PM

I started to say I haven't attempted anything since I had to cancel the New River Gorge/Beckley meet due to health issues, but then I remembered I did do the western Kentucky meet after that. Attendance was minimal (you came) and I hope my need to cancel the earlier meet didn't play a role in people deciding not to come.

I'm only speculating here, but my guess is that the attendance at your western Kentucky meet in 2017 had nothing to do with your cancellation of the New River Gorge/Beckley meet. You have a solid reputation of hosting good meets over the years which is one reason why I, and probably one reason why almost everyone who attended, decided to go. Cancelling a meet due to genuine health issues is definitely understandable and forgivable! You don't have a reputation of flaking out. What happened with your New River Gorge/Beckley meet was a fluke, and I would imagine that almost everyone in this community knows that... at least everyone who knows you well enough.
-A.J. from Michigan

roadwaywiz95

QuoteI'm waiting for 2 people to RSVP and then you cancel the meet

Best Road Meet Live Stream ever. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

PHLBOS

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 18, 2019, 09:49:53 PMI don't want to come across as mean or insensitive (just wanting to politely point something out to you so you're aware), but you unfortunately left a bad impression within the roadgeek community about any road meet that you might try to host in the future... because of what happened with the Jacksonville meet this past February that was cancelled at the last minute. From what I understand, your parents played a big role in the cancellation of that meet. But regardless of the reason, you made a commitment and backed out of that commitment at the last minute with a flimsy excuse. I'm hopeful that this won't happen again for you, but just be mindful that some of us in the community will be reluctant to plan on attending anything you host because of what happened for your first attempt of hosting a meet.
No, it wasn't exactly a flimsy excuse. Nothing else to be said about that, though.
I believe that AJ was saying that your posted-reasoning for cancelling your meet due to a bogus weather forecast was the flimsy excuse not due to any parental/family role/issue. 

Personally & not to beat a dead horse here but, you should've just stated that you had to cancel the meet due to a last-minute family matter (no details needed/required) and left it at that.  While some would've still been disappointed about the late cancellation but many would've been more understanding & your reputation for planning/hosting a meet wouldn't have taken such a hit.

Something to think about for the future.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

There was a bit more too it than that - he never had his parents in the loop regarding the meet in the first place, and when it turned out that he couldn't host it on his own, they weren't on board to take over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 20, 2019, 11:55:40 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 18, 2019, 09:49:53 PMI don't want to come across as mean or insensitive (just wanting to politely point something out to you so you're aware), but you unfortunately left a bad impression within the roadgeek community about any road meet that you might try to host in the future... because of what happened with the Jacksonville meet this past February that was cancelled at the last minute. From what I understand, your parents played a big role in the cancellation of that meet. But regardless of the reason, you made a commitment and backed out of that commitment at the last minute with a flimsy excuse. I'm hopeful that this won't happen again for you, but just be mindful that some of us in the community will be reluctant to plan on attending anything you host because of what happened for your first attempt of hosting a meet.
No, it wasn't exactly a flimsy excuse. Nothing else to be said about that, though.
I believe that AJ was saying that your posted-reasoning for cancelling your meet due to a bogus weather forecast was the flimsy excuse not due to any parental/family role/issue. 

Personally & not to beat a dead horse here but, you should've just stated that you had to cancel the meet due to a last-minute family matter (no details needed/required) and left it at that.  While some would've still been disappointed about the late cancellation but many would've been more understanding & your reputation for planning/hosting a meet wouldn't have taken such a hit.

Something to think about for the future.

YES!!! Thank you for expounding on my comments. This is exactly what I meant.
-A.J. from Michigan

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2019, 12:33:19 PMThere was a bit more too it than that - he never had his parents in the loop regarding the meet in the first place, and when it turned out that he couldn't host it on his own, they weren't on board to take over.
While true; it isn't always a good idea to outline/explain every single detail... especially if the reasoning for a meet cancellation is of a family/semi-personal/private matter.

I.e. less is more.  If a would-be participant wants more info/details; such is what the PM feature is for.

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 20, 2019, 12:54:47 PMYES!!! Thank you for expounding on my comments. This is exactly what I meant.
No problem.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PHLBOS

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 21, 2019, 04:10:30 PMIt wasn''t supposed to be a family situation IMO.
Whether such was supposed to be or not doesn't matter.  You could've given the real reason for cancelling in a more clear but discrete manner.  As mentioned earlier, not everybody needs to know every bit of detail.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.