Idea for a new board: Geographic Features

Started by bandit957, April 27, 2019, 09:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

In case this forum needs any new boards, I thought of an idea that might be interesting: Geographic Features.

This board would be about geographic features other than roads. This might include rivers, lakes, administrative boundaries, census boundaries, mountains, national parks, and poo of that sort. Not all things marked on maps are roads.

We could put it in the Off-Topic forum, but that seems to be mostly for people to talk about worthless baseball cards, old TV shows, and bubble gum.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

MNHighwayMan

Seems like the sort of thing that would be best served by a single thread, instead.

hotdogPi

This board would contain threads like "town names that can be played in Scrabble", "towns without a directional namesake", and "How do you define the Rust/Sun/Bible/Black/Kuiper Belt?".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Actually, a surprising number of "off-topic" threads would fit under "geographical features".

When I created the thread about the Rust Belt, I was wishing there was a board besides off topic that it would fit into nicely. No, it's not strictly road-related, but it is tangentially related in a way that true off-topic threads aren't.

hbelkins

Seems to me that this would fit well under "Travel." There's already discussion of high points, tri-points, watersheds, etc.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

In_Correct

Geographic Features would be a nice forum.

Off Topic sounds like a place for things that have absolutely nothing to do with Geographic Features, Travelling, nor Infrastructure.

Travelling sounds like a place for people to ask which routes to take and which routes to avoid.

Geographic Features can stand on its own.

Another forum to expand on is:

Buildings.

Perhaps not a Geographic Feature, but important to know about buildings.

Or even better: Put every thing, Geographic Features, Buildings, and various Structures into a

Landmarks

forum.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

adventurernumber1

I would be totally down for a Geographic Features board. I am very interested in that stuff, and it is talked about often on the forum.

I may be wrong, but I wonder if the topic of buildings might already most fit under the existing Urban Planning board. I'm not sure we need another board for buildings, even though that is an interesting topic.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.