News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What road did you leave on and reenter your state when you left it?

Started by roadman65, October 18, 2019, 10:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ethanhopkin14

My wife and I took a road trip to Colorado over Christmas.  We left Texas on US 87near the corner of the Texas Panhandle, and then came back into Texas in Anthony.   The furthest extremes of the 103° W and  32° N lines.

Buck87

Entered Kentucky:
OH 852, 6/1/21 at 5:42:10 pm

Entered Ohio:
US 23, 6/1/21 at 5:45:28 pm

LM-Q620

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

My most recent trip, I left Kentucky on the new Ironton-Russell Bridge that doesn't have a route number. Re-entered from Virginia on VA/KY 160.

Crossed from OH to WV on US 35, WV to VA on US 19, VA to TN on I-81, and TN to VA on US 23.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

On May 26/27 on a chase trip, I left Oklahoma on I-35 onto the Kansas Turnpike. Re-entered on US 283 southbound from south of Englewood, Kansas.

Rothman

Oh, I-81 again last Friday.  NY/PA both ways.  :D

Heh.  If I was on here when I lived in WI and worked in MN, I could have mentioned I-535 every day.

Or...when I lived in MD and worked in DC...Green Line on the Metro...or when I lived in VA and worked in DC...Orange Line on the Metro...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I've been out-of-state again.

Left Kentucky on KY 40 (which becomes Mingo CR 52/41) and returned via I-64.

sprjus4

NWI_Irish96

On our New England vacation, we left and returned to Indiana via I-70 at Richmond.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CNGL-Leudimin

What road? I left Aragon on foot outside any marked trails, only to return moments later on a dirt road next to A-2 freeway. This was part of my quest to reach the Westernmost point in my region.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

sprjus4

JayhawkCO

Not all that exciting, but on my roadtrip to Idaho, I both left and re-entered Colorado on US287 to/from Wyoming.

Chris

hbelkins

After my weekend trip, left Kentucky (into Virginia) on US 460 and returned to Kentucky (from Virginia) via Future US 460/KY 3174.

CNGL-Leudimin

Updating. Today I left Aragon on A-125/NA-125, clipped it twice on N-113, and returned for good on N-122.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Flint1979

Last time I left Michigan I did so on US-23 and returned to Michigan on US-23.

kenarmy

One of my favesss, US 98 MS/AL both ways. The drop from four lanes to two when you enter AL is kinda depressing.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

STLmapboy

Left MO to drive to West Virginia last week. The Poplar Street Bridge on I-64 both ways. The Arch is always a nice welcome home.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Rothman

Crossings from my recent three-day trip:

NY/PA: I-81
PA/MD: PA 516/MD 86
MD/VA: US 340
VA/WV: US 340
WV/VA: US 340
VA/NC: US 29
NC/SC: I-77
SC/GA: I-520
GA/SC: US 301
SC/NC: I-77
NC/VA: I-77
VA/WV: I-81
WV/MD: I-81
MD/PA: I-81
PA/NY: I-81

kphoger

Since I was last on the forum, I left and re-entered Kansas twice each, on I-35 all four times.  That may seem rather boring, but both trips were 700 miles each way, to the other side of Texas.

22-JUN-2021 through 24-JUN-2021 – to the border town of Del Rio, TX

This was to help my best friend move storage units from Wichita.  He and his family are preparing to return to the mission field in Mexico shortly, after having had their third child here in Wichita.  They've been renting two storage units in Wichita, which is 1050 miles from where they live in Mexico.  This move will allow them to vacate one of the storage units here, and have half their stateside belongings only 350 miles away from home instead.  We pulled a U-Haul trailer one-way behind his Pathfinder.  He did all the driving southbound (it was his rental trailer, after all), and I did about 300 miles of the driving northbound.

Interestingly, we left Wichita immediately after my eldest son boarded a charter bus with the church youth group, bound for camp near Rocksprings, TX.  After our 700-mile trip, we ended up being just 70 miles (as the crow flied) from my son.  The camp is located down eight miles of unpaved road, so they recommend following the bus in a chase vehicle.  Our youth pastor therefore rented a car in a town near Rocksprings to follow behind the bus.  He hit a deer with it on the way back.  Oops.

Comments:

I told my friend ahead of time to contact K-Tag and update the axle count on his tag, in order to avoid U-Haul being charged for toll violations in Kansas and Oklahoma, and therewith the potential for U-Haul billing him for the same.  As I kind of expected, he put off looking into it until the last minute, didn't see a way to do it online, and basically said Oh well at that point.  All I can say is that I'm glad it's not my bank account.

I-44 through central OKC sucks.  I don't know why so many people love it.  It's twisty, it has wonky exits, and it's been under construction forever now.  Glad I wasn't driving that stretch.  I always go I-35 to I-40 to I-44 instead.

A lot of the BGSes along I-44 on the south side of OKC are really faded, and I don't remember them being that way just 1½ years ago.  What happened?  It's gotten to the point that you can barely even read a couple of them.

Some parts of US-277 in northern Texas are getting kind of beat up, although road construction seems to be handling some of the worst parts.  I'll still take it over I-35 through Texas any day, though.

What genius decided to make US-277 four lanes all the way from Wichita Falls to Abilene, but then leave this tiny little two-lane bit on the southbound lanes through the junction north of Anson?

Driving 700 miles with overdrive disengaged makes for some crappy gas mileage.  Much happier after we dropped off the trailer and returned north with a nearly empty vehicle.

After filling up the storage unit in Del Rio, we took this scenic route up through the hills.  It was fantastic!  (Google Maps' estimated time is really optimistic.  There was a lot of 35 mph driving.)  Of course, you know you're in for a treat when you encounter this sign.  We stopped at Baker's Crossing to take in the scenery.

Final thought:  The Braum's restaurant in Chickasha (OK) is the redneck center of the universe.

30-JUN-2021 through 05-JUL-2021 – to the gulf town of Galveston, TX

This was a family vacation, my family of five plus my parents.  We did the drive with our Pathfinder (with rooftop cargo box on top) leading and my parents' car following behind.  In 2014, I swore to never drive through Dallas—Fort Worth again, and I made it this long before needing to.  Was I looking forward to driving through both Dallas and Houston on the same day?  NO!  But you do what you have to do, I suppose.

I did all the driving this time, except for the southbound stretch from Edmond (OK) to Gainesville (TX).  I find it's a lot easier to stay awake and alert when there's someone else following my own vehicle.

Comments...

My mom complained during a recent trip to Kansas City that I was leading at 5 mph over the limit, and she's only comfortable at about 3 or 4 mph over the limit.  This time, I drove what I though was 3 mph over the limit, but her speedometer showed we were going 1 mph under.  And she made a comment about that too.  Geez, I can't handle such a narrow range of acceptable speeds!  Whatever...

Does the signal setup shown below seem like a bad idea to anyone else?  Drove through this last Wednesday.

I made the best of Dallas by taking this route–I-35E to the PGBT to I-20 to I-35E to US-287.  It wasn't that bad, really, except that my car was hit heading back northbound.  On I-35E in Lewisville, some guy was hot-dogging, changing multiple lanes, and bumped the right corner of our rear bumper.  We heard the knock, then felt the car jiggle.  Both he and I slowed down, I exited the highway to check out the damage, and the other driver just kept on driving.  Hit and run.  Fortunately, there was practically zero damage to our car, just a scratch, not even a dent.  My wife had taken a picture of the other guy's license plate, but I didn't bother to report it, considering nothing really happened to our car.  The Lord really protected us, considering what might have happened!  But suffice to say that I haven't exactly warmed up to driving through Dallas now.

This was my first time ever driving on I-45, my first time driving in Houston.  And we hit Houston at the afternoon rush hour.  Good heavens!  All the way from Conroe to Beltway 8, traffic was thick and slow and stressful.  And that's with at least four lanes to work with!  Beltway 8 /slash/ the Sam Houston Tollway had some parts under construction, and it had its own bad traffic to deal with.  At long last, we finally reached I-45 to Galveston, and there was road construction plus the aftermath of multiple wrecks to deal with.  Man, that last driving stretch from Huntsville to Galveston was more stressful than all the rest of the drive put together!  Yeesh...  We had gained about 20 to 30 minutes on my timetable, and then we lost it all in about 100 miles.

The Sam Houston Ship Channel Bridge is seriously HIGH!  Drive up, up, up, up.  It made me a little nervous being so far up.  And to think, they're in the process of replacing it in order to make even MORE room underneath!

Driving on Galveston Island is quite different, with cars sharing the road with golf carts all over the place.

Northbound, we hit pouring rain and standing water on I-45 between Galveston and Houston, hard enough to require slowing down to 50 mph.  Houston traffic was fine early in the morning of July 5.  Dallas wasn't even su-u-u-u-uper terrible, except for the whole getting hit thing.

What really sucked, though, was holiday traffic funneling through the one-lane sections of road construction in Oklahoma.  It was bad enough at Pauls Valley, that we even got off the Interstate and deviated on OK-19 and OK-74.  As I type this, in fact, that deviation is still the route Google Maps recommends.  We stopped for a potty break before getting back on the Interstate, and then we were only about one or two minutes behind the traffic we'd left behind (as estimated by passing some of the same vehicles a second time).  So, if our break was 15 minutes, then we really ended up saving more than 12 minutes by taking the two-laners.

Oklahoma has not gotten rid of the "STATE LAW / MERGE NOW" signs.  I saw probably ten of them.  However, I did see one instance of their implementing the zipper merge.  They used a portable VMS to say "TAKE TURNS AT MERGE POINT".  Traffic was so terrible, though, that I really have no idea how it compared.

When there's a lane closure up ahead, why do drivers all get into the right lane way early, when they haven't even yet encountered a sign telling them which lane is closed?  Why do they all assume it isn't the right lane that's closing?

When I was in junior high, I wrote something terrible about Oklahoma in school.  Like, so bad I won't even tell you what it was.  Because of that incident, my parents made me write a research paper about the history of Oklahoma on my own time.  When we arrived in Blackwell for supper on Monday, my dad told me he owed me an apology–because Oklahoma deserved it!  That comment was based on the pavement condition and traffic nightmares we encountered.

No further travel plans so far.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

index

Most recently, US 421. I checked out Mountain City to hopefully find some picture frames/local paintings at antique stores, which was successful.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

hbelkins

Quote from: index on July 08, 2021, 03:09:04 PM
Most recently, US 421. I checked out Mountain City to hopefully find some picture frames/local paintings at antique stores, which was successful.

I rather enjoy the drive between Boone and Mountain City. But Mountain City and Bristol? No, thanks. Did it once and don't ever plan to again.

Best route from Bristol to Boone is via Abingdon, US 58, and TN/VA 91 to Mountain City, then 421.

Roadgeekteen

Just went to New Hampshire, left the state and reentered it on US 3.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

index

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: index on July 08, 2021, 03:09:04 PM

I rather enjoy the drive between Boone and Mountain City. But Mountain City and Bristol? No, thanks. Did it once and don't ever plan to again.

Best route from Bristol to Boone is via Abingdon, US 58, and TN/VA 91 to Mountain City, then 421.
According to Google Maps, that route is quicker as well. Not surprising considering how haggard that stretch of 421 looks.

I plan to check the Tri-Cities out sometime soon and I may as well check that stretch out anyway, it couldn't possibly kill me. Other sites to visit on my laundry list for this area, out-of-state include the Bridle Creek Bridge, Burkes Garden, and since I'm so close I want to clinch a few counties in Eastern Kentucky. It's about six hours round-trip from me but I've made runs longer than that before in a day. I've also been wanting to check out old coal towns like Matewan and Grundy. Distance was a problem where I used to be but it's a lot more within reach now. That whole area has always intrigued me.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.