AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minor things that bother you  (Read 114851 times)

texaskdog

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 06:37:29 PM
Re: Minor things that bother you
« Reply #2150 on: June 03, 2021, 08:59:58 AM »

For those of you with kids, what age is normal for them to know how to use a knife and fork properly?

What I think is incredibly stupid is people cutting with their right hand, putting down their knife, eating with the right hand, etc.  Total lack of efficiency.  I learned early on to just cut left handed, it's not that difficult! 

texaskdog

« Reply #2151 on: June 03, 2021, 09:01:44 AM »

When you drive behind a slowpoke you can’t pass, and feel relief up the road as you will be turning off the road so you don’t have to deal with it anymore.  However, the SOB decides to turn at that cut off as well, so you still with the idiot again.

Conversely when you know that road has an extra lane and you pass their sorry ass in about 2 seconds, and you look just to see whether they are old or stupid.

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 11:46:37 PM
« Reply #2152 on: June 03, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »

When you drive behind a slowpoke you can’t pass, and feel relief up the road as you will be turning off the road so you don’t have to deal with it anymore.  However, the SOB decides to turn at that cut off as well, so you still with the idiot again.

Conversely when you know that road has an extra lane and you pass their sorry ass in about 2 seconds, and you look just to see whether they are old or stupid.

Not near as bad as the people who drive one speed the whole time.  It's 70 mph in a rural area and this guy is doing 60.  You pass him, only to enter a small town.  The speed limit drops to 55, then 45.  This asshat continues to blow though this small town at 60, and by the grace of God he doesn't encounter Smokey (of course if you were going 60 you would).  So now he blows by you in the town.  Now you get through the town, and of course he is still driving.  Now the speed limit is back up to 70, he is still driving 60.  It's a 2 lane highway so it takes you 10 miles to find the best opportunity to pass him.  You pass him, only to then enter yet another small town and repeat the above process.  so basically he held you to 60 on a 70 mph road.  Good job.

texaskdog

« Reply #2153 on: June 03, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »

Not near as bad as the people who drive one speed the whole time.  It's 70 mph in a rural area and this guy is doing 60.  You pass him, only to enter a small town.  The speed limit drops to 55, then 45.  This asshat continues to blow though this small town at 60, and by the grace of God he doesn't encounter Smokey (of course if you were going 60 you would).  So now he blows by you in the town.  Now you get through the town, and of course he is still driving.  Now the speed limit is back up to 70, he is still driving 60.  It's a 2 lane highway so it takes you 10 miles to find the best opportunity to pass him.  You pass him, only to then enter yet another small town and repeat the above process.  so basically he held you to 60 on a 70 mph road.  Good job.

Also goes for those people you pass going 55 in a 70.  Then a few miles down the road they pass you at 80, and continually do this. I don't get it.

doorknob60

• Last Login: Today at 12:02:32 AM
« Reply #2154 on: June 03, 2021, 11:06:13 AM »

When people abbreviate time zones xST but meant xDT.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like literally 80-90% of people get this wrong. They'll say "Eastern Standard Time", without stopping to think for a second what standard means. If you don't want to think about it, just say ET, PT, etc.

This drives me nuts as well.   It was really bad about 15 years ago when I worked for a company with major offices in both Cincinnati and Indianapolis (which are only about 100 miles apart).   In the winter, we were all on EST, but in the summer, Cincinnati was on EDT, while Indianapolis remained on EST.  More people missed meetings because they did not understand the difference between EST and EDT.   In recent years, Indiana began observing DST, so I assume this problem has been reduced.

Every state should be required to be on the same time, completely

Strongly disagree there. Would mess up Idaho.

1. SE Idaho is on the same time as Utah (MT)
2. North Idaho is on the same time as Spokane, WA (PT)
3. Ontario, OR is on the same time at Boise (MT)

If any of those were mismatched it would be inconvenient and a downgrade to what it is today. Nobody cares that it switches between MT and PT near Riggins, ID, because that's in the middle of nowhere. Same for switching near Huntington, OR. But switching at state lines would not be in the middle of nowhere and would be annoying to anyone living near that.

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 05:18:43 AM
« Reply #2155 on: June 03, 2021, 11:17:00 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like literally 80-90% of people get this wrong. They'll say "Eastern Standard Time", without stopping to think for a second what standard means. If you don't want to think about it, just say ET, PT, etc.

This drives me nuts as well.   It was really bad about 15 years ago when I worked for a company with major offices in both Cincinnati and Indianapolis (which are only about 100 miles apart).   In the winter, we were all on EST, but in the summer, Cincinnati was on EDT, while Indianapolis remained on EST.  More people missed meetings because they did not understand the difference between EST and EDT.   In recent years, Indiana began observing DST, so I assume this problem has been reduced.

Lots of states have part of the state function as part of the metropolitan area of another state.  State lines are generally not the best place to put time zone divisions.

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 11:46:37 PM
« Reply #2156 on: June 03, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »

Strongly disagree there. Would mess up Idaho.

1. SE Idaho is on the same time as Utah (MT)
2. North Idaho is on the same time as Spokane, WA (PT)
3. Ontario, OR is on the same time at Boise (MT)

If any of those were mismatched it would be inconvenient and a downgrade to what it is today. Nobody cares that it switches between MT and PT near Riggins, ID, because that's in the middle of nowhere. Same for switching near Huntington, OR. But switching at state lines would not be in the middle of nowhere and would be annoying to anyone living near that.

The difference between standard time and daylight savings time is very important if you are dealing with Arizona.  Either driving thorough or doing business with them.  Being central myself, I have to think of what time of year it is to know if they are one hour or two hours behind my time. 

I also hate when people call the event in the year in which the time changes "daylight savings day" or "daylight saving time day".  The spring version is almost true to this, although it is in reality the switch to daylight savings time.  Calling it daylight savings day sounds like we are saving daylight just that one day.  No one understands that the fall time change is actually the switch to standard time, yet everyone calls it daylight savings time day.  We are leaving daylight savings time.

kphoger

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 05:33:48 PM
« Reply #2157 on: June 03, 2021, 11:55:47 AM »

The fact that you can't tell if others talk about you behind your back.

My experience in life is that everybody gets talked about behind their back. It sucks and almost everyone is also guilty of doing it, but it is what it is.

Of course people talk about you behind your back.  What else do expect?  Nobody to have any conversation about you unless you're in the room with them?  That would be ridiculous.  Heck, if you move out of town, that would really make it difficult for people to bring you up in conversation!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 04:21:37 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #2158 on: June 03, 2021, 12:00:45 PM »

The fact that you can't tell if others talk about you behind your back.

My experience in life is that everybody gets talked about behind their back. It sucks and almost everyone is also guilty of doing it, but it is what it is.

Of course people talk about you behind your back.  What else do expect?  Nobody to have any conversation about you unless you're in the room with them?  That would be ridiculous.  Heck, if you move out of town, that would really make it difficult for people to bring you up in conversation!
I'm more talking about negative back talk, not just bringing me up.

kphoger

« Reply #2159 on: June 03, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »

So you really want to be present for everything bad anyone says about you?

I'd rather people get that stuff out of their system between themselves, then get over it before interacting with me.
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #2160 on: June 03, 2021, 12:16:27 PM »

So you really want to be present for everything bad anyone says about you?

I'd rather people get that stuff out of their system between themselves, then get over it before interacting with me.
I don't care that much, hence why I posted it in "Minor things that bother you".

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:19:39 AM
« Reply #2161 on: June 06, 2021, 02:27:03 AM »

Even the nicest and most well respected people get talked about. It’s part of our human nature, to judge and I am sure you never spoke a bad word about someone in your life.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #2162 on: June 06, 2021, 02:27:46 AM »

Even the nicest and most well respected people get talked about. It’s part of our human nature, to judge and I am sure you never spoke a bad word about someone in your life.
I've totally talked about others behind their back before. I think we all do.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:19:39 AM
« Reply #2163 on: June 06, 2021, 02:28:10 AM »

Yup, that we do.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

allniter89

• siss boom baa... rotflmao!

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 05:46:14 PM
« Reply #2164 on: June 08, 2021, 12:09:47 AM »

!* wheelers that were speed governed did that back when I drove. We passs them on the open road then when we enter a constucrtion zone they dont slow. We guessed they were trying to make up time. Pretty stupid cuz alot (all?) states double the fine in construction zones plus its just damn stupid to put the workers in danger.
I worked hwy construction many many years ago & when those Model Ts went by it was hair raising. I only worked a couple wks, thats some hard work hotter the hell summer & freeze your ball of in winter. no thanks

1995hoo

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 10:06:34 PM
« Reply #2165 on: June 13, 2021, 12:39:56 PM »

Improper comma usage.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 01:26:52 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #2166 on: June 13, 2021, 01:21:02 PM »

The thing that turns off the turn signal in my car when I go around a corner broke recently so I have to manually turn off the turn signal now.

GaryV

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 06:23:51 PM
« Reply #2167 on: June 13, 2021, 01:23:03 PM »

The thing that turns off the turn signal in my car when I go around a corner broke recently so I have to manually turn off the turn signal now.

How old are you?  That's not supposed to happen until you hit geezer status.  I mean, that must be the only explanation of people driving miles down the highway with the turn signal going.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 01:26:52 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #2168 on: June 13, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »

How old are you?  That's not supposed to happen until you hit geezer status.  I mean, that must be the only explanation of people driving miles down the highway with the turn signal going.

I drive a 12-year-old car, and have had it for 6 years at this point, since there's nothing else really wrong with it and I like it well enough that I'm not interested in trading it in and going back to having a car payment. Perhaps geezers have that same philosophy.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #2169 on: June 13, 2021, 03:26:47 PM »

It says how old he is on his profile.

formulanone

• Yet another reminder to get vaccinated

• Last Login: Today at 12:16:12 AM
« Reply #2170 on: June 13, 2021, 05:44:27 PM »

I drive a 12-year-old car, and have had it for 6 years at this point, since there's nothing else really wrong with it and I like it well enough that I'm not interested in trading it in and going back to having a car payment. Perhaps geezers have that same philosophy.

Might be a surprisingly cheap fix; probably just a bad turn signal stalk. Unless you drive something fancy...most vehicles are similar. It's not an extremely common issue, so even a used stalk much be a $30-50 part.

1) Disconnect the car's battery, 2) Remove about 6-8 screws that hold the upper and lower plastic shrouds of the steering column 3) it's pretty much a plug-and-play item from the little harness connector.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 05:47:26 PM by formulanone »

webny99

• Left lane is for passing, not camping!

• Last Login: August 02, 2021, 09:07:32 PM
« Reply #2171 on: June 13, 2021, 06:46:46 PM »

It says how old he is on his profile.

I think it was a joke. Making fun of the stereotype that it's usually old people driving with their blinker on for miles and miles.

kphoger

« Reply #2172 on: June 15, 2021, 10:36:33 AM »

Improper comma usage.

That bother's me a lot les's than erroneou's apostrophe's.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

• Last Login: August 04, 2021, 10:06:34 PM
« Reply #2173 on: June 15, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »

Improper comma usage.

Heh, I consider improper apostrophe usage to be a major error, at least in written work product related to my job.

I do recognize there is some room for debate on certain comma issues (the serial comma being the chief one) and certain apostrophe issues (for example, whether a singular word ending in an "s" should take 's or just an apostrophe, such as "Congress's" versus "Congress'").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

« Reply #2174 on: June 15, 2021, 12:19:27 PM »

Improper comma usage.

Heh, I consider improper apostrophe usage to be a major error, at least in written work product related to my job.

I do recognize there is some room for debate on certain comma issues (the serial comma being the chief one) and certain apostrophe issues (for example, whether a singular word ending in an "s" should take 's or just an apostrophe, such as "Congress's" versus "Congress'").

Also 1960s vs 1960's and the like.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.