News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 03:31:32 PM
People who say, for example, "Two thousand and nineteen" instead of "Twenty nineteen."

The "Two thousand and ... " should be for 1 thru 9, not for 10 and above. 

Mercy, we are 19 years into this century and I still frequently hear this!

Have Barbara Walters bitch slap them. It'd be a reminder to say it the proper way: "THIS...is Twenty-twenty!"  :D

I also hate "the" before any road or interstate in California.  :banghead:

Also, when "and" is used by anybody running a cash register. No, lady. My total today was Two dollars, eighty nine cents. That's it.  :rolleyes:

Don't get me started with the push for Halloween before Christmas in some circumstances.  :no:

I'll throw in one major one for me: The use of "Eve" before Christmas Day and New Year's Day. These people treat December 24th and 31st as if they're their own standalone holidays themselves. Does anybody say "Happy July 4th Eve!"? Um...NO!!

Beltway

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 27, 2019, 04:10:35 PM
Certain American customs that bother me are too major for this thread.

Like referring to American football as "football"?  :-)
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 27, 2019, 04:15:18 PM
Also, when "and" is used by anybody running a cash register. No, lady. My total today was Two dollars, eighty nine cents. That's it.  :rolleyes:

The "and" doesn't convey any inaccurate information.  If you have two dollars and you also have eighty-nine cents, then you have $2.89.

(Apparently it must not bother you when people don't use a hyphen when writing out compound numbers.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KEVIN_224

Thank you! I always thought "AND" was some mystery 75 cent piece which nobody knew existed!

Quarter...
Half Dollar...
AND...
Dollar bill or gold dollar coin.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 04:15:44 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 27, 2019, 04:10:35 PM
Certain American customs that bother me are too major for this thread.

Like referring to American football as "football"?  :-)

Harder work means better work always gotten under my skin and seems to be almost an exclusively American custom. 

TheGrassGuy

"Me and Joey went to the park." Hel-lo! It's "Joey and I went to the park."
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

GaryV

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 27, 2019, 04:33:02 PM
"Me and Joey went to the park." Hel-lo! It's "Joey and I went to the park."

Yes, but the ball that we played with in the park belongs to Joey and me.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 04:20:11 PM

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 27, 2019, 04:15:18 PM

The "and" doesn't convey any inaccurate information.  If you have two dollars and you also have eighty-nine cents, then you have $2.89.

(Apparently it must not bother you when people don't use a hyphen when writing out compound numbers.)

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 27, 2019, 04:22:43 PM
Thank you! I always thought "AND" was some mystery 75 cent piece which nobody knew existed!

Quarter...
Half Dollar...
AND...
Dollar bill or gold dollar coin.

I think you misunderstood my post.  I meant that there's no real reason to dislike the "and".  It doesn't mess up the meaning one bit.

Does it bother you when people put "and" in other things? such as...
"It's eleven months, sixteen days, five hours, and twenty minutes until Christmas."
"I want all of them cut to exactly six feet and two inches long."
"Ah, but there are three hundred and sixty-four unbirthdays!" (sang the Mad Hatter)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KEVIN_224

I forgot about the hyphen in numbers spelled out. Shows you I don't spell them out often!  :paranoid:

My current age is 48 years, 9 months and 3 days. I only used "and" there since there was no second comma used. However, I think that was just mentioned in another thread.  :-D

Brandon

People who have no idea that an "r"  is supposed to be pronounced in words and isn't a placeholder.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Beltway

How about using slashes instead of hyphens in dates, and leaving out the century?

11/27/19  instead of  11-27-2019

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 07:27:17 PM
How about using slashes instead of hyphens in dates, and leaving out the century?

Or you could use the DOD format of; 27NOV2019.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2019, 07:48:38 PM
Or you could use the DOD format of; 27NOV2019.

I actually have my own brand: 11.27.2019

I dislike dashes because it's hard to make them look good when hand writing.

1995hoo

I don't like "dot dates"  or "dot phone numbers"  because they look too much like IP addresses.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

For computer file names, slashes can't be used so I tend to use dashes all the time. Or, simply 112919.

I do get annoyed though when I need to type all 4 digits of the year. For most things, I'm not talking about 1919!!

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 27, 2019, 09:05:08 PM
For computer file names, slashes can't be used so I tend to use dashes all the time. Or, simply 112919.
I do get annoyed though when I need to type all 4 digits of the year. For most things, I'm not talking about 1919!!
True, but 12-11-19 could be 2019 or 2012 depending on where the writer was placing the year.

With me it is a post-Y2K thing.  Back when the year was 32 or higher, confusion was not possible, so I usually did not show the century.  Ex.: 7-21-92.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

DaBigE

• People who ignore the Oxford comma
  • People who call custard "ice cream"
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

hotdogPi

Putting the year first allows for chronological file sorting.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2019, 09:56:12 PM

The convention I use is; Year, month, date and topic.  Example; 2019 11 27 maps. 

vdeane

Quote from: DaBigE on November 27, 2019, 09:49:24 PM

I'm not going to lie, the only time I've EVER heard "custard" (the food item, not the general) is on Doctor Who.  Knowing that custard is ice cream, that explains so much about The Eleventh Hour.  I was wondering why Amelia Pond was eating directly out of an ice creme container while the Doctor had his fish fingers and custard!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Big John

^^ The difference between ice cream and frozen custard are the eggs.  Custard contain eggs and ice cream doesn't.

jeffandnicole

So does using the leading 0 for months Jan thru Sept when only concerned about one year.  Aug 13, 2019 is 081319. Oct 18, 2019 is 101819. Aug will show up first.

Since I use folders based on the year, I don't need to worry about multi year issues.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 28, 2019, 12:11:16 AM
So does using the leading 0 for months Jan thru Sept when only concerned about one year.  Aug 13, 2019 is 081319. Oct 18, 2019 is 10182019. Aug will show up first.
Computer data has the leading zero, such as the 081219.

I agree that 08-12-2019 looks awkward.  When printing out on a report normally the leading zero would be suppressed -- 8-12-2019.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on November 27, 2019, 10:40:49 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on November 27, 2019, 09:49:24 PM

I'm not going to lie, the only time I've EVER heard "custard" (the food item, not the general) is on Doctor Who.  Knowing that custard is ice cream, that explains so much about The Eleventh Hour.  I was wondering why Amelia Pond was eating directly out of an ice creme container while the Doctor had his fish fingers and custard!

Frozen custard (similar to ice cream, but made with eggs), and custard are two different things.  You don't freeze regular custard; it goes into the fridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_custard
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.