News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Well since Virginia was brought up the things I hate about Virginia are radar detectors are illegal and driving over 85 mph is considered reckless driving.

texaskdog

Getting emails from unmonitored boxes.  Especially when they ask for a reply.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2021, 10:23:39 AM
2.  Cortana.

If you happen to have a good microphone, she's actually quite decent. It's kind of nice to be able to just shout at my computer certain commands when I'm getting dressed or something. But then I'm one of those hermits who works primarily out of one room.

Still, I use my Echo for most voice things.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 30, 2021, 12:46:29 PM

2.  Cortana.

If you happen to have a good microphone, she's actually quite decent. It's kind of nice to be able to just shout at my computer certain commands when I'm getting dressed or something. But then I'm one of those hermits who works primarily out of one room.

Still, I use my Echo for most voice things.

I don't want to ask my computer anything.  So accidentally clicking on Cortana is annoying.  But that's not the most bothersome thing.

I use Microsoft Outlook for my work e-mail.  Every few days, Cortana sends a "daily briefing" to my inbox.  It's worthless.  So I tried to create a rule that all e-mails from Cortana be automatically sent to a dedicated folder I created.  But that doesn't work, because they aren't actually e-mails.  They're really just notifications that look like e-mails, and therefore e-mail rules don't apply to them.  I once tried to unsubscribe from them, but I still get them.  I just now tried it again, and we'll see what happens.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

2.  Cortana.

What is with those stupid reminders?? Thanks for telling me what to do today.

texaskdog

Quote from: GaryV on April 30, 2021, 10:37:41 AM
People who delete their posts (particularly the OP) or edit out everything, so the thread no longer makes sense.

People who posts things like "what's the weather like there now" or "what do you like on your burger".

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 30, 2021, 08:51:10 AM
Quote from: I-55 on April 30, 2021, 12:39:53 AM
Word of the wise: If you can get AP credit for a college course but are considering retaking: don't. Take the credit and move on. My GPA would be higher if I didn't retake calc 2.
That's what current Purdue students are telling me too, so I'm going with it.

I'm not sure why you would want to take something you tested out of anyway. That would just make it longer to get your degree, wouldn't it? And if you don't have a scholarship, you're paying tuition you could have gotten for free.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on April 30, 2021, 12:19:23 PM
Getting emails from unmonitored boxes.  Especially when they ask for a reply.

On a related note, people who send you email and then their email service is screwed up enough that it rejects your reply to them. I've had a few of those with my business email where a possible customer sends me a question, and I am completely unable to respond because their email is apparently configured to reject all emails from Gmail, or their spam filter doesn't like that it's being sent from the Gmail server but carries an @denexa.com email address (which is what G Suite is for), or whatever.

Then they start sending me increasingly angry emails about why I'm not answering, and of course I can't reply to those either.

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2021, 03:46:41 PM
Word of the wise: If you can get AP credit for a college course but are considering retaking: don't. Take the credit and move on. My GPA would be higher if I didn't retake calc 2.
That’s what current Purdue students are telling me too, so I’m going with it.

I'm not sure why you would want to take something you tested out of anyway. That would just make it longer to get your degree, wouldn't it? And if you don't have a scholarship, you're paying tuition you could have gotten for free.

The only reason I can think of is if you wanted to make sure you had a full understanding of whatever material? But I agree it makes no sense. Colleges don't just hand out credit like candy - they make sure the credit you're trying to transfer (whether it's from AP tests or another college) matches up with a class at that college before they give it to you.

College classes are almost always harder than their high-school AP equivalents anyway because they're the same material taught over a semester as opposed to a full year, so you basically get half as much time to learn the same amount of material, and you don't understand it half as well because of it. I definitely developed a far better understanding of calculus from AP calc BC in high school than I ever would have from taking calc 1 and 2 in college, based on what I saw of those classes from my friends who were in them and didn't have AP credit. Which of course would defeat the entire purpose of retaking them.

Scott5114

And given that AP tests generally correspond to gen-ed requirements, which don't make a hill of difference to your actual degree, it often doesn't matter whether you understand the material or not. You basically get to skip part of the irrelevant part that's there to pad the university's profit margin.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 06:36:18 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 29, 2021, 06:32:24 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
When websites auto log you out even if you press the "remember me" button.

The one I'm thinking of even says "remember me for 60 days".  I get on once a week, and I have to log in every time.

What's worse is the sites that not only don't remember you, but they two-factor authenticate you, and then act like it's your fault with some sort of message about how they don't recognize you logging in from that browser before. I haven't even rebooted my computer since I logged in here last; if you don't recognize my browser that is strictly a you problem.

Crap.  I just got on Facebook for the first time in a while.  It didn't recognize my browser, so it had me verify my identity.  The only option for how to do so was to correctly identify five of my "friends".  I could only skip three times.

1.  I'm seriously glad I trimmed my friends list several years ago.  I can only imagine if I still had people on there whom I only knew for a week ten years ago.

2.  Have you ever labeled a statue as one of your friends?  Or a tree?  Yeah, you'd better hope you don't get one of those photos.  I did.

3.  I barely made it.  With no more skips available and four out of five friends correctly identified, I was a little nervous to see what #5 would be.
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Quote from: texaskdog on April 30, 2021, 03:44:46 PM
Quote from: GaryV on April 30, 2021, 10:37:41 AM
People who delete their posts (particularly the OP) or edit out everything, so the thread no longer makes sense.

People who posts things like "what's the weather like there now" or "what do you like on your burger".

"What do you like on your forum?"

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

1995hoo

I agree fully. It's been 30 years, but I went into college with basically a full year of credit (29 hours) due to AP credit. It made my third and fourth years a lot easier. I had to write a thesis as part of my major during the spring of my third year, so I took 13 hours that semester. Then I didn't feel like going back up to 15 hours my fourth year, so I took 12 hours both semesters, all based strictly on things I was interested in taking. Made for a great fourth year.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2021, 06:45:59 PM

I agree fully. It's been 30 years, but I went into college with basically a full year of credit (29 hours) due to AP credit. It made my third and fourth years a lot easier. I had to write a thesis as part of my major during the spring of my third year, so I took 13 hours that semester. Then I didn't feel like going back up to 15 hours my fourth year, so I took 12 hours both semesters, all based strictly on things I was interested in taking. Made for a great fourth year.

In my sophomore year, I started taking a class in the winter and summer. They're generally quick, small courses, not part of the major, and allowed me to get three credits out of the way, and only take 4 classes (12 credits) during the regular semester. I continued that through my senior year.

I-55

Quote from: US 89 on April 30, 2021, 03:58:11 PM

The only reason I can think of is if you wanted to make sure you had a full understanding of whatever material? But I agree it makes no sense. Colleges don't just hand out credit like candy - they make sure the credit you're trying to transfer (whether it's from AP tests or another college) matches up with a class at that college before they give it to you.

College classes are almost always harder than their high-school AP equivalents anyway because they're the same material taught over a semester as opposed to a full year, so you basically get half as much time to learn the same amount of material, and you don't understand it half as well because of it. I definitely developed a far better understanding of calculus from AP calc BC in high school than I ever would have from taking calc 1 and 2 in college, based on what I saw of those classes from my friends who were in them and didn't have AP credit. Which of course would defeat the entire purpose of retaking them.

That was the reasoning I had because when our HS went online during COVID, we didn't cover any new material through March, April, or May, so I figured there was at least one key topic I was missing. But, Calc II in college didn't really introduce anything I would've needed for Calc III this semester, so it ended up as a waste.

And yes, this is Purdue, where the general rule ought to be to take as few math classes as possible. They're all convoluted enough to get hefty curves. Take the credit and move on.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

SkyPesos

Quote from: I-55 on April 30, 2021, 08:18:55 PM
And yes, this is Purdue, where the general rule ought to be to take as few math classes as possible. They're all convoluted enough to get hefty curves. Take the credit and move on.
I'm going into engineering at Purdue next year, and it seems like most current/past students I've seen on Reddit agree to skip the Math/Physics/Chem classes with AP credit if possible (I don't have Physics C or Chem, so just maybe AB Calc after exams this year and score is high enough, so there's not much for me to choose anyways). Going to keep this in mind if my academic advisor says to retake them otherwise.

kkt

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 30, 2021, 11:01:03 PM
I'm going into FYE at Purdue next year

Think about your audience before you use an acronym.  If it's not in widespread use in the jargon of the forum, save the people who haven't been to Purdue from googling it.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kkt on May 01, 2021, 01:16:48 AM
Think about your audience before you use an acronym.  If it's not in widespread use in the jargon of the forum, save the people who haven't been to Purdue from googling it.
Ah thanks for reminding me. Fixed, hopefully it's more understandable now.

GaryV

Except now I had to Google it anyway, just cuz.   :-/

Roadgeekteen

College email spam. Shut up I have no interest in attending your school!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2021, 12:45:06 PM
I was ranting about this on the applyingtocollege subreddit about a week ago. I already marked some of them as spam, but I think Columbia is the worst offender. They're still emailing me to pay for their summer program after sending me a rejection letter. Not sure if you can get any lower than that.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 01, 2021, 12:55:42 PM
I was ranting about this on the applyingtocollege subreddit about a week ago. I already marked some of them as spam, but I think Columbia is the worst offender. They're still emailing me to pay for their summer program after sending me a rejection letter. Not sure if you can get any lower than that.
What would be the point of their summer program at this point?

US 89

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2021, 01:40:32 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 01, 2021, 12:55:42 PM
What would be the point of their summer program at this point?

To put it on your resume.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.