News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

The fact that Google's algorithm has gotten so clogged with commercial offerings you have to scroll before you are given any other options.

Just now I was reading the analog thread and decided I wanted to look up how manual film development works, so I type "film development" into Google...and get a bunch of companies offering to develop film for me. No, I just want to know how film is developed!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: bm7 on May 04, 2021, 12:14:59 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 07:15:43 PM
When people are still scared of covid after getting the vaccine.
I agree, I don't understand it. Why did they even bother to get vaccinated if they don't think it does anything?
It greatly lessens chances of getting sick or dying, but doesn't eliminate it.  A healthy respect for those small chances is not irrational.  Also a vaccinated person has the possibility of being a carrier (how much of a possibility is still being debated), so being cautious is being considerate of others who have not had the opportunity to be vaccinated.

texaskdog

Quote from: texaskdog on April 30, 2021, 12:19:23 PM
Getting emails from unmonitored boxes.  Especially when they ask for a reply.

Just happened again.....

Waze Map Editor <no-reply@waze.com>

Tue, May 4 at 5:20 AM

Hi texaskdog,

You received a comment on the map issue you reported, from 05.03.2021 on Seneca Lp, Kyle - "You cannot go westbound either until may 19th please fix" . An editor from the Waze mapping community wants to solve the problem, but needs some more information.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 07:15:43 PM
When people are still scared of covid after getting the vaccine.

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 03, 2021, 10:06:58 PM
They need to get the damn vaccine and move on!

When people don't read before posting.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2021, 01:10:37 AMJust now I was reading the analog thread and decided I wanted to look up how manual film development works, so I type "film development" into Google...and get a bunch of companies offering to develop film for me. No, I just want to know how film is developed!

I have developed my own black-and-white film, so I remember in general terms how the process works.  In absolute dark, all by feel, film is unspooled from the cartridge and rolled onto a developing reel that is then loaded into a light-tight developing tank.  Then the lights are turned on and three solutions are cycled in and out in succession:  developer (many kinds are available and your choice has an effect on the grain; I dimly remember that 20° C is the standard temperature), stop bath, and fixer.

In movies, TV shows, and other mass media, you sometimes see someone working in a darkroom in red light.  This is typically necessary only when printing from negatives onto photographic paper.  You need to be able to see to position the paper under the enlarger, and red light is safe because the emulsions used on photographic paper are very "slow" (less sensitive to light in general--the tradeoff is much finer grain) and also insensitive to red.  Compared to paper, film is much faster and usually has full red sensitivity, which is why it has to be handled in absolute dark until it is developed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

When I'm using a virtual desktop, ⊞+R doesn't open the "Run Program Or File" window of my actual desktop.  I can't seem to get this through my head, and it irritates me every time.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Using a VDI to chain in a remote desktop session to my work computer is annoying.  It often lags or disconnects (things like Google Earth do not work well in it) and if I need to type all caps, I have to hit shift separately each time as if I were typing on a phone - simply holding shift down or using caps lock doesn't work.  Using the Pulse remote desktop solution was much nicer, but that was updated recently and Windows 7 support was dropped, so I needed to switch to the method that doesn't require Windows 10 (or, as it happens, Windows at all, which I guess would be the plus side for the VDI).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Angelo71

When you can't watch a tv show without having politics shuved down your throat.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2021, 04:26:46 PM
When I'm using a virtual desktop, ⊞+R doesn't open the "Run Program Or File" window of my actual desktop.  I can't seem to get this through my head, and it irritates me every time.

The ⊞ key in general is a minor thing that bothers me. I don't use the start menu often enough to need a key for it, and everything it's used for on Windows can be done with Alt+F-key combinations on Linux (for example, the equivalent of the "Run Program or File" window is summoned with Alt+F2). My daily-driver keyboard is a Model M, so I have no ⊞ key on it. When it is present, I usually reprogram it (or the similarly-useless menu key) to be a Compose key, but I kind of resent Microsoft's territorial stamp on hardware that can be perfectly well used without their products.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I have noticed newer computers designed for Windows 10 seem not to have Break keys.  If I did not have a detachable keyboard, I would find this a nuisance when configuring a new machine, since I rely on the system dialog (accessed via WinKey+Break, with an easy mnemonic:  "Break Windows") to access the environment variables.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

STLmapboy

I play water polo, and we have to wear masks on the bench. It´s rarely enforced, but annoying when it is.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 11:56:04 AM
Zoom

I wonder what someone reading this in 2019 would have thought.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on May 05, 2021, 01:16:26 PM
Zoom

I had used Zoom, GoToMeeting, and WebEx at least once before 2020.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on May 05, 2021, 01:17:58 PM
Zoom

I had used Zoom, GoToMeeting, and WebEx at least once before 2020.

OK, 2015 then.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Zoom

"Wasn't that a TV show when I was a kid?"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

When the [Tab] key goes somewhere other than the next field.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2021, 04:17:03 PM

Is something wrong with autocompletion?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on May 05, 2021, 04:17:20 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2021, 04:17:03 PM

Is something wrong with autocompletion?

My daily occurrence of this is while signing into a VPN at work, using two-factor authentication, so autocompletion wouldn't be very helpful.  I am prompted twice for my username and password:  once without the six-digit token code and once with it.  On the first popup, [Tab] goes from the username field to the password field.  On the second popup, it doesn't.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 05, 2021, 01:36:01 PM
Zoom

"Wasn’t that a TV show when I was a kid?"

I don't remember anything at all from that show, but I do remember that WGBH [Moog-synth noise] Boston produced it for PBS.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

kkt

Zoom

Exactly!  Where do they get off stealing the name of a cool TV show for their derivitive app?

1995hoo

Quote from: kkt on May 05, 2021, 05:52:49 PM
Zoom

Exactly!  Where do they get off stealing the name of a cool TV show for their derivitive app?

I don't remember the show, just the name.

The license plate on my Mazda includes the letters "ZMZM" in reference to their well-known slogan.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.