News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2021, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2021, 01:10:37 AMJust now I was reading the analog thread and decided I wanted to look up how manual film development works, so I type "film development" into Google...and get a bunch of companies offering to develop film for me. No, I just want to know how film is developed!

I have developed my own black-and-white film, so I remember in general terms how the process works.  In absolute dark, all by feel, film is unspooled from the cartridge and rolled onto a developing reel that is then loaded into a light-tight developing tank.  Then the lights are turned on and three solutions are cycled in and out in succession:  developer (many kinds are available and your choice has an effect on the grain; I dimly remember that 20° C is the standard temperature), stop bath, and fixer.

In movies, TV shows, and other mass media, you sometimes see someone working in a darkroom in red light.  This is typically necessary only when printing from negatives onto photographic paper.  You need to be able to see to position the paper under the enlarger, and red light is safe because the emulsions used on photographic paper are very "slow" (less sensitive to light in general--the tradeoff is much finer grain) and also insensitive to red.  Compared to paper, film is much faster and usually has full red sensitivity, which is why it has to be handled in absolute dark until it is developed.

You summarized the process pretty well, although in a pinch you can skip the stop bath and go directly from developer to fixer if you wash the film with water thoroughly. I ran a few hundred rolls of Tri-X or T-Max through the soup back in the 1980s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

There's a stretch of "road construction" on I-135, on my way to work.  The speed limit drops from 60 to 50, and fines are doubled within the work zone.  Except there's literally nothing happening.  Not so much as an orange cone.  And it's been this way for a couple of weeks.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 09:05:08 AM
There's a stretch of "road construction" on I-135, on my way to work.  The speed limit drops from 60 to 50, and fines are doubled within the work zone.  Except there's literally nothing happening.  Not so much as an orange cone.  And it's been this way for a couple of weeks.

They're constructing infractions to fill the hole in their budget.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on May 06, 2021, 01:17:55 PM

Haven't seen a single cop there yet.  Most people don't even slow down, honestly.  But it bothers me nonetheless.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

It could be worse.  They could have put up barrels to block off a lane and still not be doing any work.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 01:19:05 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 06, 2021, 01:17:55 PM

Haven't seen a single cop there yet.  Most people don't even slow down, honestly.  But it bothers me nonetheless.

Illinois also seemed to be a fan of phantom work zones if I recall.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on May 06, 2021, 01:19:55 PM
It could be worse.  They could have put up barrels to block off a lane and still not be doing any work.

I don't know.  At least, then, there'd be a smallest shred of evidence they're even planning to do something.
Male pronouns, please.

bm7

Whenever I've encountered "road closed to thru traffic" construction signs on rural gravel roads, I've just gone past them. Only once has there been anything preventing me from driving through as usual.

kphoger

It's usually due to grading.  Just the other day, I chose to go around instead on my way to my destination.  Then, not seeing any grading equipment, I chose to go through on my way back.  It was slow going, because they were only half-done with the work.  Lots of loose, large gravel.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

When you're waiting for a workman to show up (HVAC service in this morning's case) and you need to take a crap but you don't want to because you know as soon as you start to go that's when the doorbell will ring.

(I suppose this is a major annoyance when it happens and minor otherwise.)

As I typed this post, they called to say the man is on his way. So I guess I really need to hold it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

When you get a notification that your package has been delivered, and then the delivery driver shows up ten minutes later with your package.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2021, 08:05:26 AM
When you're waiting for a workman to show up (HVAC service in this morning's case) and you need to take a crap but you don't want to because you know as soon as you start to go that's when the doorbell will ring.

As I typed this post, they called to say the man is on his way. So I guess I really need to hold it.

Same is true when you're waiting on a phone call or other instant contact method. I had something similar happen yesterday–got in a virtual doctor's appointment and it said "9 patients are ahead of you" and showed my ugly mug on screen, and I realized, hey, I haven't shaved in a while... so since there were 9 patients ahead of me, I went off to the bathroom and shaved, hoping that the doctor wouldn't pop on screen before I was done. Fortunately there were still 3 ahead of me by the time I was done shaving.

Quote from: kphoger on May 07, 2021, 12:58:44 PM
When you get a notification that your package has been delivered, and then the delivery driver shows up ten minutes later with your package.

Of course, that's because the driver is pressing the "package delivered" button on their phone/tablet before they actually deliver the package. Who knows what incentive they might have to do this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 11, 2021, 07:45:48 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 07, 2021, 12:58:37 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 07, 2021, 12:25:52 PM
I know this is an old game, but shouldn't it be in Traffic Control now?
Yes, can a mod move it?

This is becoming a candidate for the "minor things that bothers you" thread...
When threads on AAroads are sitting in the wrong board forever.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2021, 04:27:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2021, 08:05:26 AM

Same is true when you're waiting on a phone call or other instant contact method. I had something similar happen yesterday–got in a virtual doctor's appointment and it said "9 patients are ahead of you" and showed my ugly mug on screen, and I realized, hey, I haven't shaved in a while... so since there were 9 patients ahead of me, I went off to the bathroom and shaved, hoping that the doctor wouldn't pop on screen before I was done. Fortunately there were still 3 ahead of me by the time I was done shaving.

Quote from: kphoger on May 07, 2021, 12:58:44 PM

Of course, that's because the driver is pressing the "package delivered" button on their phone/tablet before they actually deliver the package. Who knows what incentive they might have to do this.

Or they don't deliver at all. 

US 89

When people abbreviate time zones xST but meant xDT.

kphoger

1.  When the trimmer runs out of string partway through doing the lawn.

2.  Re-stringing the trimmer.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

When people make vast, oversimplifying claims about complex subjects they don't know enough about. (Talking about an area that borders the Mediterranean Sea...)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 01:41:20 PM
When people make vast, oversimplifying claims about complex subjects they don't know enough about. (Talking about an area that borders the Mediterranean Sea...)

I assume you're referring to Titus 1:12.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2021, 01:54:27 PM

Nah I have nothing against Crete.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 01:57:53 PM

Ah, OK.  Gotcha.  I hate it when people say all Sicilians are the mafia too.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2021, 01:59:26 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 01:57:53 PM

Ah, OK.  Gotcha.  I hate it when people say all Sicilians are the mafia too.
Eastern part of the sea. A country that borders Egypt, Jordan, and Lebanon.

kphoger

Oh, Israel.

Why didn't you just say that, instead of "an area"?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2021, 02:25:48 PM
Oh, Israel.

Why didn't you just say that, instead of "an area"?
I thought people would know what I meant, and I wanted to avoid saying Israel because of the politics rule.

kphoger

Israel is no more political than Ecuador, unless you make it so.
Male pronouns, please.

doorknob60

Quote from: US 89 on May 14, 2021, 12:55:42 PM
When people abbreviate time zones xST but meant xDT.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like literally 80-90% of people get this wrong. They'll say "Eastern Standard Time", without stopping to think for a second what standard means. If you don't want to think about it, just say ET, PT, etc.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.