News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: texaskdog on June 03, 2021, 09:01:44 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2021, 11:52:57 AM
When you drive behind a slowpoke you can't pass, and feel relief up the road as you will be turning off the road so you don't have to deal with it anymore.  However, the SOB decides to turn at that cut off as well, so you still with the idiot again.

Conversely when you know that road has an extra lane and you pass their sorry ass in about 2 seconds, and you look just to see whether they are old or stupid.

Not near as bad as the people who drive one speed the whole time.  It's 70 mph in a rural area and this guy is doing 60.  You pass him, only to enter a small town.  The speed limit drops to 55, then 45.  This asshat continues to blow though this small town at 60, and by the grace of God he doesn't encounter Smokey (of course if you were going 60 you would).  So now he blows by you in the town.  Now you get through the town, and of course he is still driving.  Now the speed limit is back up to 70, he is still driving 60.  It's a 2 lane highway so it takes you 10 miles to find the best opportunity to pass him.  You pass him, only to then enter yet another small town and repeat the above process.  so basically he held you to 60 on a 70 mph road.  Good job.

texaskdog

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 03, 2021, 10:21:46 AM
When you drive behind a slowpoke you can’t pass, and feel relief up the road as you will be turning off the road so you don’t have to deal with it anymore.  However, the SOB decides to turn at that cut off as well, so you still with the idiot again.

Conversely when you know that road has an extra lane and you pass their sorry ass in about 2 seconds, and you look just to see whether they are old or stupid.

Not near as bad as the people who drive one speed the whole time.  It's 70 mph in a rural area and this guy is doing 60.  You pass him, only to enter a small town.  The speed limit drops to 55, then 45.  This asshat continues to blow though this small town at 60, and by the grace of God he doesn't encounter Smokey (of course if you were going 60 you would).  So now he blows by you in the town.  Now you get through the town, and of course he is still driving.  Now the speed limit is back up to 70, he is still driving 60.  It's a 2 lane highway so it takes you 10 miles to find the best opportunity to pass him.  You pass him, only to then enter yet another small town and repeat the above process.  so basically he held you to 60 on a 70 mph road.  Good job.

Also goes for those people you pass going 55 in a 70.  Then a few miles down the road they pass you at 80, and continually do this. I don't get it.

doorknob60

Quote from: texaskdog on June 03, 2021, 08:57:59 AM
Quote from: frankenroad on May 14, 2021, 03:34:48 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on May 14, 2021, 02:56:05 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 14, 2021, 12:55:42 PM
When people abbreviate time zones xST but meant xDT.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like literally 80-90% of people get this wrong. They'll say "Eastern Standard Time", without stopping to think for a second what standard means. If you don't want to think about it, just say ET, PT, etc.

This drives me nuts as well.   It was really bad about 15 years ago when I worked for a company with major offices in both Cincinnati and Indianapolis (which are only about 100 miles apart).   In the winter, we were all on EST, but in the summer, Cincinnati was on EDT, while Indianapolis remained on EST.  More people missed meetings because they did not understand the difference between EST and EDT.   In recent years, Indiana began observing DST, so I assume this problem has been reduced.

Every state should be required to be on the same time, completely

Strongly disagree there. Would mess up Idaho.

1. SE Idaho is on the same time as Utah (MT)
2. North Idaho is on the same time as Spokane, WA (PT)
3. Ontario, OR is on the same time at Boise (MT)

If any of those were mismatched it would be inconvenient and a downgrade to what it is today. Nobody cares that it switches between MT and PT near Riggins, ID, because that's in the middle of nowhere. Same for switching near Huntington, OR. But switching at state lines would not be in the middle of nowhere and would be annoying to anyone living near that.

kkt

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like literally 80-90% of people get this wrong. They'll say "Eastern Standard Time", without stopping to think for a second what standard means. If you don't want to think about it, just say ET, PT, etc.

This drives me nuts as well.   It was really bad about 15 years ago when I worked for a company with major offices in both Cincinnati and Indianapolis (which are only about 100 miles apart).   In the winter, we were all on EST, but in the summer, Cincinnati was on EDT, while Indianapolis remained on EST.  More people missed meetings because they did not understand the difference between EST and EDT.   In recent years, Indiana began observing DST, so I assume this problem has been reduced.

Lots of states have part of the state function as part of the metropolitan area of another state.  State lines are generally not the best place to put time zone divisions.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 03, 2021, 11:06:13 AM

Strongly disagree there. Would mess up Idaho.

1. SE Idaho is on the same time as Utah (MT)
2. North Idaho is on the same time as Spokane, WA (PT)
3. Ontario, OR is on the same time at Boise (MT)

If any of those were mismatched it would be inconvenient and a downgrade to what it is today. Nobody cares that it switches between MT and PT near Riggins, ID, because that's in the middle of nowhere. Same for switching near Huntington, OR. But switching at state lines would not be in the middle of nowhere and would be annoying to anyone living near that.

The difference between standard time and daylight savings time is very important if you are dealing with Arizona.  Either driving thorough or doing business with them.  Being central myself, I have to think of what time of year it is to know if they are one hour or two hours behind my time. 

I also hate when people call the event in the year in which the time changes "daylight savings day" or "daylight saving time day".  The spring version is almost true to this, although it is in reality the switch to daylight savings time.  Calling it daylight savings day sounds like we are saving daylight just that one day.  No one understands that the fall time change is actually the switch to standard time, yet everyone calls it daylight savings time day.  We are leaving daylight savings time.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 03, 2021, 01:59:47 AM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2021, 01:04:51 AM
The fact that you can't tell if others talk about you behind your back.

My experience in life is that everybody gets talked about behind their back. It sucks and almost everyone is also guilty of doing it, but it is what it is.

Of course people talk about you behind your back.  What else do expect?  Nobody to have any conversation about you unless you're in the room with them?  That would be ridiculous.  Heck, if you move out of town, that would really make it difficult for people to bring you up in conversation!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2021, 11:55:47 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 03, 2021, 01:59:47 AM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2021, 01:04:51 AM
The fact that you can't tell if others talk about you behind your back.

My experience in life is that everybody gets talked about behind their back. It sucks and almost everyone is also guilty of doing it, but it is what it is.

Of course people talk about you behind your back.  What else do expect?  Nobody to have any conversation about you unless you're in the room with them?  That would be ridiculous.  Heck, if you move out of town, that would really make it difficult for people to bring you up in conversation!
I'm more talking about negative back talk, not just bringing me up.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

So you really want to be present for everything bad anyone says about you?

I'd rather people get that stuff out of their system between themselves, then get over it before interacting with me.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2021, 12:12:02 PM
So you really want to be present for everything bad anyone says about you?

I'd rather people get that stuff out of their system between themselves, then get over it before interacting with me.
I don't care that much, hence why I posted it in "Minor things that bother you".

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

Even the nicest and most well respected people get talked about. It's part of our human nature, to judge and I am sure you never spoke a bad word about someone in your life.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2021, 02:27:03 AM
Even the nicest and most well respected people get talked about. It's part of our human nature, to judge and I am sure you never spoke a bad word about someone in your life.
I've totally talked about others behind their back before. I think we all do.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

allniter89

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 03, 2021, 10:21:46 AM
When you drive behind a slowpoke you can't pass, and feel relief up the road as you will be turning off the road so you don't have to deal with it anymore.  However, the SOB decides to turn at that cut off as well, so you still with the idiot again.

!* wheelers that were speed governed did that back when I drove. We passs them on the open road then when we enter a constucrtion zone they dont slow. We guessed they were trying to make up time. Pretty stupid cuz alot (all?) states double the fine in construction zones plus its just damn stupid to put the workers in danger.
I worked hwy construction many many years ago & when those Model Ts went by it was hair raising. I only worked a couple wks, thats some hard work hotter the hell summer & freeze your ball of in winter. no thanks
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

The thing that turns off the turn signal in my car when I go around a corner broke recently so I have to manually turn off the turn signal now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2021, 01:21:02 PM
The thing that turns off the turn signal in my car when I go around a corner broke recently so I have to manually turn off the turn signal now.

How old are you?  That's not supposed to happen until you hit geezer status.  I mean, that must be the only explanation of people driving miles down the highway with the turn signal going.

Scott5114

Quote from: GaryV on June 13, 2021, 01:23:03 PM

How old are you?  That's not supposed to happen until you hit geezer status.  I mean, that must be the only explanation of people driving miles down the highway with the turn signal going.

I drive a 12-year-old car, and have had it for 6 years at this point, since there's nothing else really wrong with it and I like it well enough that I'm not interested in trading it in and going back to having a car payment. Perhaps geezers have that same philosophy.

Roadgeekteen

It says how old he is on his profile.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2021, 03:22:47 PM

I drive a 12-year-old car, and have had it for 6 years at this point, since there's nothing else really wrong with it and I like it well enough that I'm not interested in trading it in and going back to having a car payment. Perhaps geezers have that same philosophy.

Might be a surprisingly cheap fix; probably just a bad turn signal stalk. Unless you drive something fancy...most vehicles are similar. It's not an extremely common issue, so even a used stalk much be a $30-50 part.

1) Disconnect the car's battery, 2) Remove about 6-8 screws that hold the upper and lower plastic shrouds of the steering column 3) it's pretty much a plug-and-play item from the little harness connector.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 13, 2021, 03:26:47 PM

It says how old he is on his profile.

I think it was a joke. Making fun of the stereotype that it's usually old people driving with their blinker on for miles and miles.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 13, 2021, 12:39:56 PM
Improper comma usage.

That bother's me a lot les's than erroneou's apostrophe's.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 10:36:33 AM
Improper comma usage.

Heh, I consider improper apostrophe usage to be a major error, at least in written work product related to my job.

I do recognize there is some room for debate on certain comma issues (the serial comma being the chief one) and certain apostrophe issues (for example, whether a singular word ending in an "s" should take 's or just an apostrophe, such as "Congress's" versus "Congress'").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 15, 2021, 10:43:17 AM

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 10:36:33 AM

Improper comma usage.

Heh, I consider improper apostrophe usage to be a major error, at least in written work product related to my job.

I do recognize there is some room for debate on certain comma issues (the serial comma being the chief one) and certain apostrophe issues (for example, whether a singular word ending in an "s" should take 's or just an apostrophe, such as "Congress's" versus "Congress'").

Also 1960s vs 1960's and the like.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2021, 11:58:48 PMI use Okular (which comes with the KDE software collection on Linux, but is available for Windows) for my PDF-viewing needs. Having used both it and name-brand Acrobat Reader on Windows, I find I prefer the less noxious interface in Okular. I rarely do much with PDFs other than view, fill out forms, and copy from them for pasting elsewhere, so I am not sure if it would be useful for what you do with it.

One month later, I've had to abandon Acrobat Reader.  The hurdle I couldn't get past came when it started taking multiple seconds to open and close PDF documents regardless of size.  This issue has triggered multiple threads on Adobe's support forum (a sign it is a running sore), with suggested solutions ranging from disabling opening in AppContainer, turning off various enhanced security settings, checking for updates and installing newest version, etc.  None has worked for me.  Many other users have reported having to uninstall and reinstall to solve the problem, which of course necessitates rebuilding preferred defaults.  I tried that at the end of last month, telling myself I would uninstall--probably for good--if the problem came back.  In the past 24 hours it has.  (In the past I have found that slow-to-launch/slow-to-close behavior often results from internal caches or search indexes getting too full, and can be solved simply by deleting them.  However, I have not found any whose deletion results in visible performance improvement.)

I tried Okular, which is available through the Microsoft Store.  It has a clean interface and opens PDF files quickly.  However, I have not made it my default PDF viewer since it lacks some functionality I use heavily when looking for signing sheets in PDF files:

*  Keystroke combination to zoom back to Fit Page (Ctrl + 0 in Adobe products and Foxit Reader zooms back to this level, but on Okular it zooms back to 100%)

*  The ability to show more than one column of page thumbnails in the side panel (varying panel width changes thumbnail size, not the number of thumbnails shown in a row)

*  True full-screen view (Ctrl + Shift + F strips some chrome instead of displaying the page and nothing but the page, as Ctrl + L does in Adobe and F11 in Foxit Reader)

At the moment I have Foxit Reader set as my default PDF viewer and plan to see how things go over the next few weeks.  Most of the keystroke combinations (e.g., F4 to open side panel) carry over from Adobe, though there are some annoying quirks, such as it not remembering side panel width from session to session.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

^ I would suggest filing feature requests for the features you're missing in Okular. KDE developers are generally pretty responsive to them, especially if there's evidence of prior art in a competing software package. They also tend to be much more open to adding options to configuration dialogs than commercial developers are (there is no cultural sensitivity around presenting "too many" options to users). Even "Obey DRM limitations" is a checkbox that can be turned off.

As for the hotkey issue: my Okular allows you to configure hotkeys for every command on the menu from Settings > Configure Keyboard Shortcuts... You could theoretically set the entire hotkey configuration to be identical to what you're used to from Acrobat, so far as Okular has the corresponding feature. Is this functionality present in the Windows version?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.