AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How easy is/was it for school to be cancelled?  (Read 2879 times)

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 04:04:39 AM
    • Wikipedia
Re: How easy is/was it for school to be cancelled?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »

So it turns out it only takes 13 deaths and 70 cases from an outbreak to cancel all classes.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: July 12, 2021, 05:46:58 AM
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:10 PM »

Why would fog affect whether school is in session at all?

I can't speak for how the urban districts are affected by fog in Ohio, but here in the rural north central part of the state there are a lot of narrow township roads out in the boonies where the pavement is only one lane wide with a little bit of gravel berm on either side that allow for passing of opposing traffic. Driving those roads in low visibility can be dicey in any vehicle, much less a school bus.

vdeane

• Last Login: August 02, 2021, 09:28:58 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »

Why would fog affect whether school is in session at all?

I can't speak for how the urban districts are affected by fog in Ohio, but here in the rural north central part of the state there are a lot of narrow township roads out in the boonies where the pavement is only one lane wide with a little bit of gravel berm on either side that allow for passing of opposing traffic. Driving those roads in low visibility can be dicey in any vehicle, much less a school bus.
Good point.  I wasn't thinking about rural areas... more like urban/suburban roads with clearly marked lanes and speed limits around 30.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

• Left lane is for passing, not camping!

• Last Login: August 02, 2021, 09:07:32 PM
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »

Yeah, I guess kids in rural areas have to go to school too!
I can think of several areas in the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier where heavy fog might be problematic.
Not too much in the immediate Rochester area, though, except maybe parts of Irondequoit and some of the hillier areas to the south.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:14:46 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 01:46:01 AM »

In Florida and coastal Georgia, school buses just stick strobe beacons on top so they can be seen in the fog, and they run them whether there's fog or not.

I never saw that on any school buses on Long Island. You'd think they'd grab those in a heartbeat.

webny99

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »

I know this is a weather-related thread, but we're probably all thinking about the thread title in the context of coronavirus at this point.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 07:42:52 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »

I know this is a weather-related thread, but we're probably all thinking about the thread title in the context of coronavirus at this point.

That probably ought to be a different thread or stick to the existing one for Coronavirus...at least that’s my two cents.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: August 02, 2021, 09:23:19 PM
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »

2 feet to cancel classes? Most everywhere in WI they close on a whim now.  The map seems more appropriate historically - now tort laws and liability insurance have made school districts paranoid.  Nowadays schools in most 2'+ zones on this map close due to any amount over 4-5 inches.  Weather advisories are issued in the same areas (depending on definition) for lower amounts.  In WI - 1-3 is enough for a weather advisory these days.

Keep this thread focused on weather related closures, there is a separate thread for Coronavirus
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ssoworld-roads/

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ftballfan

• Last Login: July 18, 2021, 08:46:35 PM
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 09:16:46 AM »

2 feet to cancel classes? Most everywhere in WI they close on a whim now.  The map seems more appropriate historically - now tort laws and liability insurance have made school districts paranoid.  Nowadays schools in most 2'+ zones on this map close due to any amount over 4-5 inches.  Weather advisories are issued in the same areas (depending on definition) for lower amounts.  In WI - 1-3 is enough for a weather advisory these days.

Historically, kids generally walked to school and school districts covered less area. Also, budget cuts at the road commission level leads to it taking longer for roads to be cleared

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 02:04:12 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2020, 05:39:03 PM »

Rhode Island said that snow days might no longer happen because apparently remote learning there was a success (compared to Massachusetts, where remote learning was a disaster).

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/10/snow-days-rhode-island-virtual-learning-coronavirus-school/

Now, people losing power might be a problem.

SectorZ

• Last Login: August 02, 2021, 07:29:48 PM
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »

Rhode Island said that snow days might no longer happen because apparently remote learning there was a success (compared to Massachusetts, where remote learning was a disaster).

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/10/snow-days-rhode-island-virtual-learning-coronavirus-school/

It's a good idea. If a large-scale power outage hits the town/city/school system in question then they can punt the day, along with giving an excused absence to anyone out due to a minor outage if they do have a school-from-home day.

As long as schools don't use that option as an excuse to have 20 school-from-home days just because it's raining all day or something equally dumb that shouldn't ever cancel school.

SEWIGuy

• Last Login: August 02, 2021, 09:12:35 PM
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2020, 08:23:58 AM »

In general school is cancelled for weather much easier now than when I was a kid.  That's a good thing.

kphoger

• Last Login: August 02, 2021, 07:34:04 PM
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2020, 12:08:32 PM »

What have kids been doing these days if their families don't have internet?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »

Depends what age of kids we're talking: I-phones? Drugs?

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 02:04:12 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure that over 99% of the kids at my school have internet, but I'm sure it's different elsewhere.

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: Today at 01:28:43 AM
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2020, 01:10:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure that over 99% of the kids at my school have internet, but I'm sure it's different elsewhere.
My district has been providing mobile hotspots for this purpose, but it's so restricted that it's hard to do anything with it. For example: half a GB/DAY, social media and most YT videos are restricted.. so when my online classes have to do with searching stuff on the internet, that's a shot in the foot.

SM-G965U

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 06:32:35 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »

My district has been providing mobile hotspots for this purpose, but it's so restricted that it's hard to do anything with it. For example: half a GB/DAY, social media and most YT videos are restricted.. so when my online classes have to do with searching stuff on the internet, that's a shot in the foot.

SM-G965U

I believe that it's technically impossible for https sites to be blocked.

Also, remember agar.io?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E); CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.