News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite turnpike system in the Northeast?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 13, 2020, 04:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one?

New Hampshire
2 (2.4%)
Maine
4 (4.8%)
Massachusetts
6 (7.1%)
New York
11 (13.1%)
New Jersey
31 (36.9%)
Pennsylvania
21 (25%)
Connecticut
9 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

jmacswimmer

I'm torn between a couple different ones:

-Ohio Turnpike for the service plazas (not northeast, but still)
-PA Turnpike for the history (speed limit 70 is a plus too)
-NJ Turnpike for the dual-carriageway design (they also seem to have the fastest EZPass transaction turnaround time, FWIW)
-Mass Pike for being the first ones to go entirely all-electronic (which happened while I was nearby attending college in Worcester)

Ultimately, I think my vote will go to PA (ever-inflating tolls notwithstanding).

Also, as 1995hoo noted I too make a conscious effort to avoid the Conn Tpke when heading to New England, and typically take the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkways.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2020, 12:32:39 PM
Yep. While PA always wins the prize for the most expensive Turnpike in total, it has a lot to do with its length.  When you compare it on a per-mile basis, the NJ Turnpike isn't that far off. 

The excessive tolls on the Penn Pike are directly related to Act 44 and Act 89, mandating that customers of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission be required to pay billions of subsidy dollars to Pennsylvania's transit agencies (especially SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County) - none of the transit agencies have anything to do with the markets served by the PTC's roads.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

KEVIN_224

CT may be my native and present home state, but I'll always play favorites to I-95/Maine Turnpike. I once lived west of Exit 19 (then Exit 2) in Wells and later in Old Orchard Beach, about 2 miles down I-195 East to ME Route 5. (Then Exit 5 and now Exit 36.)

shadyjay

I can't pick a favorite.  I am too a fan of the Maine Turnpike, perhaps because it hasn't lost its turnpike identity.  The Maine Turnpike shield is proudly posted on all I-95 reassurance shields and on guide signs, while other turnpikes no longer post shields as often.  And since they widened it up to the Portland area, it is a nice road to drive.  I do miss the unique signs the road used to have in its median, such as "Are your tires safe?".  There also used to be an oversized shield posted with a traffic info phone #.

The New Jersey Turnpike is unique with its dual-dual setup and the eastern and western spurs.  Its signage was also very unique.

But the Connecticut Turnpike will always hold a ranking near the top for me.  I remember the last vestiges of its original signage which held on until 1992/1993.  I have vague recollections of the toll booths.  I was present for the 1993 opening of the Baldwin Bridge.  And, of course, have sat in traffic many times on that road. They also have really nice modern service plazas as well.

ixnay

I give honorable mention to the PA Pike, having been born and raised in the Commonwealth.

And yes,  I like the  ME Tpk. reassurance shield touch, having seen  them in person a couple of times.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

webny99

I might pick the Maine Turnpike as my #2 choice. They have a built-in advantage of almost all visitors entering/leaving the state on their turnpike, and it is a super nice road, especially the six-lane section between the NH line and Portland.

KEVIN_224

Let's not forget the badly-needed widening it got in the 2000s. The lane drop used to be in York, heading towards the Ogunquit town line.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on May 17, 2020, 12:00:47 PM
I might pick the Maine Turnpike as my #2 choice. They have a built-in advantage of almost all visitors entering/leaving the state on their turnpike, and it is a super nice road, especially the six-lane section between the NH line and Portland.
It certainly was a nice drive the last time I was one it... two minuses, though:
1. They do the same thing MA does and post absurdly low regulatory speed limits (not warning) on many exit ramps.
2. They have a particularly perverse form of transponder discrimination where people with an out of state transponder don't get to use the virtual ticket system they set up for Maine E-ZPass holders.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bluecountry

NJ is the best since the 6-9 project finished, very smooth.

MA has great rest stops and scenery but not as great shoulders.

PA lacks a median.

CT is the worst, not high speed.

Conn. Roads

My vote was for Connecticut. I95 is really now the Turnpike, but I had the Merritt and Wilbur Cross more in mind.

ekt8750

For me it was a coin-flip between PA and NJ but PA's 70 MPH speed limit gave it the slight nod.

Delaware and Maryland are missing from the poll (I think for this exercise they should be considered northeastern states). We all know DE's cost per mile is obnoxious and easily shunpiked but the road is a very wide, high quality freeway. MD's Turnpike is equally of good quality and generally wide. Now that they've finally finished modernizing the southern end (after 20+ years), I enjoy driving that stretch of road.

Ben114

My vote has go to to MA because of the all-electronic tolling.

(Note: Have not been on NJ or PA.)

sbeaver44

Maryland narrowly over NJ.  I do like the new service plazas and I've never had an issue with that section of 95.  Maryland generally takes care of their roads.  NJ does great with the dual configuration, but I don't always care for the service plazas.

I love my home PA turnpike and all but the cost and some design issues prohibit me from voting for it.

If I'm allowed to go outside the NE, it's Ohio no question.  3 lanes each way Toledo to Youngstown, 70, and the most beautiful and clean service plazas.  Tolls look cheap compared to PA!

Ketchup99

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 25, 2020, 07:43:08 PM
Maryland narrowly over NJ.  I do like the new service plazas and I've never had an issue with that section of 95.  Maryland generally takes care of their roads.  NJ does great with the dual configuration, but I don't always care for the service plazas.

I love my home PA turnpike and all but the cost and some design issues prohibit me from voting for it.

If I'm allowed to go outside the NE, it's Ohio no question.  3 lanes each way Toledo to Youngstown, 70, and the most beautiful and clean service plazas.  Tolls look cheap compared to PA!

Maryland Turnpike...?????????????

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 27, 2020, 02:56:43 PM

Northeastern Expressway/John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway, aka the ~50-mile stretch of I-95 from Baltimore to Delaware.  To be fair, it can seem more like a freeway with a toll bridge as opposed to a turnpike (there used to be ramp tolls, I believe), but the 2 service plazas are still a turnpike feature. 
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 27, 2020, 03:06:33 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 27, 2020, 02:56:43 PM

Northeastern Expressway/John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway, aka the ~50-mile stretch of I-95 from Baltimore to Delaware.  To be fair, it can seem more like a freeway with a toll bridge as opposed to a turnpike (there used to be ramp tolls, I believe), but the 2 service plazas are still a turnpike feature.
Non toll roads can have service plazas, like MA 3 and MA 24.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

STLmapboy

Favorite is NJT for the central part; new bridges, 3-3-3-3 lane configuration (separation from trucks!), interesting exit signage, and more.

Least favorite is Penna Turnpike because no one should have to shell out $50 for a drive between Philly and Pittsburgh on a narrow four-lane road with very few exits and absolutely arcane interchanges (Breezewood, anyone?). There are a few redeeming qualities (revolutionary for its time, ample climbing lanes when needed, not-too-ancient bridges) but among the northeast I believe it to be the worst.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

sprjus4

To be fair, it can seem more like a freeway with a toll bridge as opposed to a turnpike (there used to be ramp tolls, I believe), but the 2 service plazas are still a turnpike feature.
That $8 toll bridge going northbound is what hits. Granted, while it's only for the bridge, it "technically" covers the entire 60+ mile Turnpike.

Ketchup99

Does Maryland count? It's not a turnpike, and it's arguably not in the Northeast.

STLmapboy

Maryland's I-95 (mostly untolled) has better service plazas than the Penna Turnpike. Maryland and Chesapeake Houses are great (I've been through).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

cpzilliacus

To be fair, it can seem more like a freeway with a toll bridge as opposed to a turnpike (there used to be ramp tolls, I believe), but the 2 service plazas are still a turnpike feature. 

1. All of it is maintained by the Maryland Transportation Authority. MDTA is an "unbudgeted agency," which means it does not normally get tax dollars from the state's general fund or the transportation trust fund.

2. There were ramp tolls at all of the interchanges north of (but not including) MD-43, present-day Exit 67 at White Marsh to south of (but not including) MD-279 Exit 109 at Elkton.  The JFK Highway ramp tolls were never staffed, were exact change/coin drop only. 

Only traffic that did not pass through the main toll barrier (then two-way) at U.S. 222 (now MD-222) Exit 93 at  Perryville had to pay a ramp toll.

The ramp tolls went away when the construction bonds to build the Northeast Expressway (JFK Highway now) were paid-off in the early 1980's.   The Delaware Turnpike also had ramp tolls, but they were removed in the 1970's.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 27, 2020, 06:46:05 PM
Does Maryland count? It's not a turnpike, and it's arguably not in the Northeast.

Maryland is certainly in the northeast. I consider it the northeast up to the Potomac River. As for I-95, I think the only toll is the Susquehanna River Bridge, heading north.

Rothman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 29, 2020, 10:58:46 PM

Maryland is certainly in the northeast. I consider it the northeast up to the Potomac River. As for I-95, I think the only toll is the Susquehanna River Bridge, heading north.
No.  No, it is not.  It is even below the Mason-Dixon Line.  It definitely has a more southern feel.

It's in the Mid-Atlantic, along with PA.

Northeast is NY and New England.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on May 31, 2020, 12:14:18 PM

No.  No, it is not.  It is even below the Mason-Dixon Line.  It definitely has a more southern feel.

I consider Maryland northeast.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on May 31, 2020, 12:14:18 PM

Northern NJ is Northeast, southern NJ is Mid-Atlantic. For that matter, western NY and western PA are more "Old Northwest" or whatever term you would use for Ohio. Regional lines don't follow state boundaries.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.