News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite turnpike system in the Northeast?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 13, 2020, 04:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one?

New Hampshire
2 (2.4%)
Maine
4 (4.8%)
Massachusetts
6 (7.1%)
New York
11 (13.1%)
New Jersey
31 (36.9%)
Pennsylvania
21 (25%)
Connecticut
9 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

D-Dey65

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 27, 2020, 06:23:31 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 27, 2020, 03:06:33 PM
To be fair, it can seem more like a freeway with a toll bridge as opposed to a turnpike (there used to be ramp tolls, I believe), but the 2 service plazas are still a turnpike feature.
That $8 toll bridge going northbound is what hits. Granted, while it's only for the bridge, it "technically" covers the entire 60+ mile Turnpike.
Still cheaper than most of the bridges of New York City.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on May 31, 2020, 01:05:51 PM
For that matter, western NY and western PA are more "Old Northwest" or whatever term you would use for Ohio.

Probably "Rust Belt"?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on May 31, 2020, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 29, 2020, 10:58:46 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 27, 2020, 06:46:05 PM
Does Maryland count? It's not a turnpike, and it's arguably not in the Northeast.

Maryland is certainly in the northeast. I consider it the northeast up to the Potomac River. As for I-95, I think the only toll is the Susquehanna River Bridge, heading north.
No.  No, it is not.  It is even below the Mason-Dixon Line.  It definitely has a more southern feel.

It's in the Mid-Atlantic, along with PA.

Northeast is NY and New England.

Northern NJ is Northeast, southern NJ is Mid-Atlantic. For that matter, western NY and western PA are more "Old Northwest" or whatever term you would use for Ohio. Regional lines don't follow state boundaries.

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

Mid-Atlantic is kinda like Central NJ. It exists only because there's too much disagreement if the states, generally DE, MD and VA, are northeast or southeast states.

Gnutella

Does Maryland count? It's not a turnpike, and it's arguably not in the Northeast.

Maryland is certainly in the northeast. I consider it the northeast up to the Potomac River. As for I-95, I think the only toll is the Susquehanna River Bridge, heading north.
No.  No, it is not.  It is even below the Mason-Dixon Line.  It definitely has a more southern feel.

Northern NJ is Northeast, southern NJ is Mid-Atlantic. For that matter, western NY and western PA are more "Old Northwest" or whatever term you would use for Ohio. Regional lines don't follow state boundaries.

Western Pennsylvania was never part of the Northwest Territory. In fact, the Mason-Dixon survey placed Pittsburgh firmly in Pennsylvania by 1780, during the American Revolution. This idea that everything west of I-81 is part of the Midwest is absurd, especially when you consider that Pittsburgh is a) longitudinally east of the entire state of Florida, and b) closer to New York City than Chicago, both in a straight line and by vehicle. There's nothing "mid-" about that at all. Western Pennsylvania and western New York are interior Northeast. In fact, you can probably include Vermont as well, since it has no coastline. If the South and the West can have interior regions, then so can the Northeast, pop/soda line be damned.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 31, 2020, 02:14:34 PM

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

Mid-Atlantic is kinda like Central NJ. It exists only because there's too much disagreement if the states, generally DE, MD and VA, are northeast or southeast states.

In political terms, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are all now Northeast states, and I do not see that changing, even if a majority of the counties of Maryland and Virginia are red or deep-red. 

The counties with the large populations are either purple or light blue or deep blue, and so go the states.

Culturally, there are large parts of all three states that are Southern (I suppose in Delaware that means Sussex County).

Moderate Republicans can win in these states, as Maryland's Gov. Larry Hogan Jr. (R) demonstrates.  But I think even in Virginia, hard-right GOP candidates have no chance statewide.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 07, 2020, 08:52:04 PM

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

In political terms, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are all now Northeast states, and I do not see that changing, even of a majority of the counties of Maryland and Virginia are red or deep-red. 

The counties with the large populations are either purple or light blue or deep blue, and so go the states.

Culturally, there are large parts of all three states that are Southern (I suppose in Delaware that means Sussex County).

Moderate Republicans can win in these states, as Maryland's Gov. Larry Hogan Jr. (R) demonstrates.  But I think even in Virginia, hard-right GOP candidates have no chance statewide.

While I mostly agree, what region is the I-88 corridor in New York part of? It's a red area except when there's a popular incumbent, but I can't imagine it being considered anything that's not the Northeast.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on June 07, 2020, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 07, 2020, 08:52:04 PM

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

In political terms, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are all now Northeast states, and I do not see that changing, even of a majority of the counties of Maryland and Virginia are red or deep-red. 

While I mostly agree, what region is the I-88 corridor in New York part of? It's a red area except when there's a popular incumbent, but I can't imagine it being considered anything that's not the Northeast.
The Northeast.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CapeCodder

PA. Yes, the road is insanely long, but the service plazas are nice. Sideling Hill is my favorite one. Cleanest Burger King I've eaten at. The view of the mountain is stunning.

Roadrunner75

The PA turnpike serves its purpose and I respect its historical significance, but it drives me crazy with a bad combination of an incredibly boring ride at high speeds on a narrow roadway with lots of truck traffic - at least the eastern half which I drive every so often to visit family.  They can't widen it soon enough.

Flint1979

Rothman

I think it's silly to associate Dems with the Northeast and therefore shove MD into the Northeast per that idea.

The cultural and ecological differences are many between MD and MA, for example.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on June 08, 2020, 10:20:47 AM
I think it's silly to associate Dems with the Northeast and therefore shove MD into the Northeast per that idea.

The cultural and ecological differences are many between MD and MA, for example.
If we use politics, then parts of upstate NY would be in the deep south and Miami would be in the northeast.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 08, 2020, 10:38:06 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 08, 2020, 10:20:47 AM

If we use politics, then parts of upstate NY would be in the deep south and Miami would be in the northeast.
Precisely why it's absurd to do so.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Been on all of them except Maine. Voted for New Jersey, mostly for the unique signage that's mostly a distant memory now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Gnutella

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 07, 2020, 11:09:44 PM
The PA turnpike serves its purpose and I respect its historical significance, but it drives me crazy with a bad combination of an incredibly boring ride at high speeds on a narrow roadway with lots of truck traffic - at least the eastern half which I drive every so often to visit family.  They can't widen it soon enough.

The upgraded six-lane segments of the Pennsylvania Turnpike are excellent, though.

bluecountry

Quote from: Gnutella on June 07, 2020, 07:04:36 PM

Western Pennsylvania was never part of the Northwest Territory. In fact, the Mason-Dixon survey placed Pittsburgh firmly in Pennsylvania by 1780, during the American Revolution. This idea that everything west of I-81 is part of the Midwest is absurd, especially when you consider that Pittsburgh is a) longitudinally east of the entire state of Florida, and b) closer to New York City than Chicago, both in a straight line and by vehicle. There's nothing "mid-" about that at all. Western Pennsylvania and western New York are interior Northeast. In fact, you can probably include Vermont as well, since it has no coastline. If the South and the West can have interior regions, then so can the Northeast, pop/soda line be damned.

1.  West PA is not the mid-west, lol.  The mid west is based of flat farmland.  That ain't WPA.
2.  What WPA/WNY/NE OH are...they are the mid east. 

Revive 755

Quote from: bluecountry on August 02, 2020, 09:39:59 PM
1.  West PA is not the mid-west, lol.  The mid west is based of flat farmland.  That ain't WPA.

The Midwest is not all flat.

And there is some relatively flat farmland in western Pennsylvania.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 02, 2020, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 02, 2020, 09:39:59 PM

The Midwest is not all flat.

Um, yeah, that's flat. I don't think anyone thinks that flat means no small rolling hills or an embankment off a roadway.

Gnutella

Bottom line, if it's located in one of the 13 original colonies, then it's categorically not in the Midwest.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Gnutella on August 05, 2020, 11:23:30 AM
Bottom line, if it's located in one of the 13 original colonies, then it's categorically not in the Midwest.

The 13 colonies extended farther than they do now. Kentucky was originally part of Virginia, and it's in line with Indiana and Ohio.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

zachary_amaryllis

i have to say, the nj turnpike.. its not just a road, its an adventure

i find it absolutely bananas how you have to plan where you're going in new york like 20 miles out from the GWB.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Gnutella

Quote from: 1 on August 05, 2020, 11:41:05 AM

The 13 colonies extended farther than they do now. Kentucky was originally part of Virginia, and it's in line with Indiana and Ohio.

Pittsburgh was settled by British settlers in 1758, incorporated in 1771, and placed in Pennsylvania by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in 1780. Stop placing it in the Midwest, where it doesn't belong. Same goes for Buffalo and Rochester, for that matter. The Northeast doesn't end at I-fucking-81.

J3ebrules

I'm honestly surprised to see the NJ Turnpike currently topping the list. While it will always hold a very special, dear place in my heart, in terms of scenic quality and historicity (The FIRST modern American Turnpike), Pennsylvania Turnpike wins my vote. I've never been the full length of the Tunnel Turnpike, but boy would I love to do that when I have time and money. It even has the cool Abandoned section!!
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Ned Weasel

Quote from: J3ebrules on August 06, 2020, 12:22:39 AM
I'm honestly surprised to see the NJ Turnpike currently topping the list. While it will always hold a very special, dear place in my heart, in terms of scenic quality and historicity (The FIRST modern American Turnpike), Pennsylvania Turnpike wins my vote. I've never been the full length of the Tunnel Turnpike, but boy would I love to do that when I have time and money. It even has the cool Abandoned section!!

Clinching the PA Turnpike mainline was probably my favorite clinch!  I wish I had a chance to clinch the whole NJ Turnpike, TBH.  I think I'm only missing the eastern spur and the Newark Bay Extension.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Gnutella on August 05, 2020, 07:17:53 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 05, 2020, 11:41:05 AM

Pittsburgh was settled by British settlers in 1758, incorporated in 1771, and placed in Pennsylvania by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in 1780. Stop placing it in the Midwest, where it doesn't belong. Same goes for Buffalo and Rochester, for that matter. The Northeast doesn't end at I-fucking-81.

And slightly a bit before by the French in 1754 as Fort Duquesne.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.