News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Route 128 (solo section)

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 28, 2020, 09:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I was on MA 128 in Beverly, and it's quite sketchy. The speed limit drops to 50 for a bit, and the ramps are short and it felt kinda scary merging onto the highway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Does anyone know the purpose of Exit "21.1" northbound?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

shadyjay

Quote from: 1 on May 28, 2020, 09:14:10 PM
Does anyone know the purpose of Exit "21.1" northbound?

I'm assuming you mean this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5702085,-70.91197,3a,53.1y,108.58h,76.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJecheZgRyEii5yISMSjSfQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yeah, that doesn't look dangerous at all! 

Seriously, did MassDPW model that portion of the road off Connecticut's Merritt Parkway? 

noelbotevera

Quick glance at exit 21 shows that this part is a bastardized conversion from a divided highway. It's not even a Jersey freeway, like US 1 north of Boston, since those have actual interchanges at every road (but have driveways). "Converting" it to a freeway meant roads crossing it were separated or separated with RIROs put in. The I-95 section doesn't have this problem, probably because that had to be upgraded to Interstate standards.

I have no clue why MA 128 is like this, other than Mass DPW being lazy and only upgrading the I-95 section because they had to.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hotdogPi

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 28, 2020, 09:42:42 PM
Quick glance at exit 21 shows that this part is a bastardized conversion from a divided highway. It's not even a Jersey freeway, like US 1 north of Boston, since those have actual interchanges at every road (but have driveways). "Converting" it to a freeway meant roads crossing it were separated or separated with RIROs put in. The I-95 section doesn't have this problem, probably because that had to be upgraded to Interstate standards.

I have no clue why MA 128 is like this, other than Mass DPW being lazy and only upgrading the I-95 section because they had to.

Exit 21 itself is strange, but that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the exit right next to 21 that's unnumbered.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

shadyjay

noelbotevera

Quote from: 1 on May 28, 2020, 09:45:30 PM

Exit 21 itself is strange, but that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the exit right next to 21 that's unnumbered.
Taking a look at the opposite side reveals that until recently, you could enter or exit MA 128 from here. Now it's strictly an exit ramp. Also, in 1978, this was a roundabout (according to Historic Aerials). Except for those tidbits, I have no clue why this access exists - especially since exit 21 accesses the same neighborhood.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

shadyjay

Checking it out on Google Maps, it appears this is an isolated neighborhood, with the only access via either this way, or via Exit 21, and neither are anything close to freeway-grade.  According to sources, this portion of 128 was constructed in the 1950s, with at-grade intersections in some locations, and the roadway "upgraded" in the 1960s.  It was probably during that time that the Trask Lane/Folly Hill neighborhood was built (the 50s) and when 128 was upgraded, it was left with no other option but to retain access. 

Not sure how you could tie "Folly Hill" back into the rest of town in a more civilized / safer manner.  It looks like some of those cul-de-sacs come close to the outside world, but it looks like a tight residential community all around, and you've got a business park and apartment complex in part of the isolated section.  Not sure how an increase of traffic through the adjoining neighborhoods would go over.  Maybe a bridge over to the north side, and some better ramps. 

webny99

Why is MA 128 unnumbered on Google Maps? It's marked only as "Yankee Division Highway", with no shield markers.

STLmapboy

Quote from: 1 on May 28, 2020, 09:45:30 PM

Looks like one of those "authorized vehicle only" turnpike roads to maintenance sheds.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

PurdueBill

My understanding from asking about it when I lived around there is that originally Trask Lane and the entrance to the neighborhood didn't connect in any way but they did soon enough so that the two entries from 128 became redundant to a degree but were left in case one were to be blocked.

CapeCodder

Good to see the old Kings Grant Inn.

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on May 28, 2020, 10:40:49 PMAccording to sources, this portion of 128 was constructed in the 1950s, with at-grade intersections in some locations, and the roadway "upgraded" in the 1960s.
As mentioned in other-related threads, this stretch of 128 is probably one of the oldest stretches built; some of which dates back to even the late 1940s.  As a result, many abnormalities with respect to modern highway design were built.  Such are the reasons why the Peabody to Gloucester stretch of 128 will never receive an I-x95 designation.

Another oddball example that's now long gone: prior to 1976, the Forest St. intersection in Peabody was signalized.

Another oddball that's still present: the cemetery entrance along 128 northbound in Peabody.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 12, 2020, 09:14:20 AM
Quote from: shadyjay on May 28, 2020, 10:40:49 PMAccording to sources, this portion of 128 was constructed in the 1950s, with at-grade intersections in some locations, and the roadway "upgraded" in the 1960s.
As mentioned in other-related threads, this stretch of 128 is probably one of the oldest stretches built; some of which dates back to even the late 1940s.  As a result, many abnormalities with respect to modern highway design were built.  Such are the reasons why the Peabody to Gloucester stretch of 128 will never receive an I-x95 designation.

Another oddball example that's now long gone: prior to 1976, the Forest St. intersection in Peabody was signalized.

Another oddball that's still present: the cemetery entrance along 128 northbound in Peabody.

I'm just old enough to remember "Exit 27" in its last form, including a northbound entrance via Summit Street that is now obliterated by the northbound exit for Lowell Street that was added to get rid of the way-too-tight loop ramp.  Somewhere I may have saved (but probably don't have) a Peabody Times with the old loop ramp pictured blocked off with very elementary old barricades by DPW when the state and the city finally had enough crashes.

The ramps on the southbound side are unchanged all these years later, but at least have maybe a little better sight distance for merging?

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 17, 2020, 11:11:28 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 12, 2020, 09:14:20 AM

I'm just old enough to remember "Exit 27" in its last form, including a northbound entrance via Summit Street that is now obliterated by the northbound exit for Lowell Street that was added to get rid of the way-too-tight loop ramp.  Somewhere I may have saved (but probably don't have) a Peabody Times with the old loop ramp pictured blocked off with very elementary old barricades by DPW when the state and the city finally had enough crashes.

The ramps on the southbound side are unchanged all these years later, but at least have maybe a little better sight distance for merging?
The biggest issue with 128 from Lowell St. (Peabody) to MA 1A (Beverly) is the mainline overpasses.  Many of them are not only original but such do not offer a right-hand shoulder lane.  This was the reason why the MA 35 & MA 62 cloverleaf interchanges were reconfigured to their current diamond-style ramps (that change eliminated the remaining direction-based (N,S,E,W) suffixes for the exit numbers).  Upgrading those cloverleaf ramps would've meant reconstructing & widening the mainline overpasses in order to accommodate proper ramp tapering distances.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.