Roads That Are On Your Bucket List Because of This Forum

Started by webny99, July 07, 2020, 01:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I had two: Breezewood, and I-95 from Richmond to DC

Finally checked the latter off the list yesterday, complete with traffic, construction, an accident, and a short detour on the nightmare of an alternate that some call US 1!

If you don't have any roads that are on your bucket list because of this forum, allow me to suggest the northern half of I-476 from Scranton to Allentown.

kphoger

It's not on my personal bucket list, but I'd never heard of the Moki Dugway before this forum.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SeriesE

Max Rockatansky

jmacswimmer

Corridor H/US 48, which I completed the first weekend of June. Some absolutely stunning views along the way, in particular between Moorefield & Davis!

(I plan to return if/when the entire thing is completed, but that may be a while yet.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

gonealookin

I have driven US 550 from Montrose to Ouray but didn't proceed any farther south.  Dumb.  Next time I'm in Ouray I'll continue on the Million Dollar Highway and head on to Silverton.  (I did at least hit Telluride via CO 145 and CO 62 as part of that trip.)

Flint1979

Max Rockatansky

One that I didn't think of now, Black Bear Pass Road east from Telluride.  That looks fun as hell in a 4x4 or on a mountain bike. 

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on July 07, 2020, 01:18:46 PM
I had two: Breezewood, and I-95 from Richmond to DC

I guess I could add I-70 in Kansas and I-80 in Nebraska.
Got I-90 in SD checked off, and I-94 through western ND was on the bucket list long before I joined this forum.

Thing 342

LA-23 and LA-1 in the Mississippi River Delta. Especially since it doesn't seem like they'll be around much longer...

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on July 07, 2020, 01:28:22 PM
It's not on my personal bucket list, but I'd never heard of the Moki Dugway before this forum.

I learned about it on this forum too and it was partly because of this forum that I made a point of visiting, and driving, the Dugway when we were in that area in 2015. It helped that I found an outstanding B&B right near the bottom of the Dugway.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any roads I'd list as "bucket list" roads right now (the key words there being "right now"). Maybe the Overseas Highway in Florida, but I knew about that long before I discovered this forum.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 10:48:14 PM
One that I didn't think of now, Black Bear Pass Road east from Telluride.  That looks fun as hell in a 4x4 or on a mountain bike.

I already knew about that one from the C.W. McCall song "Black Bear Road."

NWI_Irish96

Not sure how much of it is because of this forum or for other reasons, but here's the list:

US 1 from Miami to Key West
CA 1 from San Francisco to Malibu
MI 185
Blue Ridge Parkway
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

I've driven over Imogene Pass, and it requires a LOT less technical skill than Black Bear Pass would.  And the scenery is awesome.

Heck, I was so green at driving 4WD that, when the Jeep rental agent instructed me to just drive in fourth gear whenever using 4WD, it didn't even occur to me that lower gears would also work.  When I got close to Imogene Pass, the road became too steep, and I was stumped.  Finally it dawned on me to try first or second gear instead, and zoom! away we went.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ftballfan

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2020, 10:03:19 AM

I've driven over Imogene Pass, and it requires a LOT less technical skill than Black Bear Pass would.  And the scenery is awesome.

Heck, I was so green at driving 4WD that, when the Jeep rental agent instructed me to just drive in fourth gear whenever using 4WD, it didn't even occur to me that lower gears would also work.  When I got close to Imogene Pass, the road became too steep, and I was stumped.  Finally it dawned on me to try first or second gear instead, and zoom! away we went.

Hell I would be up for both if I was spending some time out in Telluride.  If I was headed that way from California I would probably add Devil's Backbone and Schafer Canyon Road in Utah.  I did much the latter on foot one time, I think in that case 2wd high clearance might handle it. 

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

sprjus4

Finally checked the latter off the list yesterday, complete with traffic, construction, an accident, and a short detour on the nightmare of an alternate that some call US 1!
Seems like a good day on I-95.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 10, 2020, 12:28:06 PM

Exactly the reason it was on my bucket list in the first place - I've heard so much about how terrible it is!

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on July 10, 2020, 12:33:11 PM

Exactly the reason it was on my bucket list in the first place - I've heard so much about how terrible it is!
The part between DC and Fredericksburg is especially fun.

Roadgeekteen

I've been on it once in 2015, I don't remember it being that bad but I was quite young.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 10, 2020, 04:17:55 PM

I've been on it once in 2015, I don't remember it being that bad but I was quite young.

It's not always terrible, but then it's also fair to recognize that what someone considers "terrible" will be influenced by what that person is used to on the roads. I've made umpteen trips on I-95 between Richmond and DC and some have been just fine, even within the past ten years. Other times it's slammed to a stop almost immediately after getting north of I-295 and I've just bailed out and taken other roads for the last 80 miles home. My rule of thumb is generally that if I must be in the Richmond area by a certain time, I don't rely on taking I-95 if it's a weekday–I'm more likely to use US-301 south through Maryland. (This worked really well the last time I needed to be down there at a specific time, and US-301 worked well for that because I was going to Richmond International Raceway to drive a race car and the speedway is east of the city, as is US-301.)

Call me crazy if you want, but one possible benefit to the ever-increasing traffic on that road is that it's forced the most extreme speeders to slow down. That is, in the 1990s traffic was heavy, but you could still do 90 mph a lot of the time if you wanted. Problem was, there was just enough traffic that if you tried to go that fast, you'd wind up being one of those people everyone hates who weaves in and out of traffic constantly like a maniac (the habit many Virginia drivers have of hogging the left lane didn't help). Nowadays, there's more traffic and it's just plain hard to find enough clear space to go that fast.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

When I was on that stretch of I-95 south last Friday morning, it had the usual jam southbound at the Occoquan, and then recurring stop-and-go to the Rappahannock. Once past Fredericksburg, what I quickly discovered was that the right lane was basically functioning as the passing lane, as most cars insisted on camping in the middle and left lanes :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me how insanely busy that whole stretch from Richmond to Springfield is (especially north of Fredericksburg).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.