News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Full Screen Ads

Started by webny99, December 08, 2020, 12:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Something that I've noticed recently: When I click on a thread, I'll get a full-screen ad instead of the thread I clicked on.
Is this new? something that's been happening to others as well?

It seems to mostly happen in the "Recent Posts" section at the bottom of the main page, but I've had it elsewhere occasionally, too.
It's not a big deal (no pun intended); I'm just curious.

hotdogPi

I've been getting full-screen ads on other websites recently, but not this one. There is an X in the top right corner that can be clicked.

This website should have ads unless you're logged in with 3 or more posts. While you recently reached 5,000 (which would be a programming bug if this was the cause), I don't think that's the issue, as I am the same rank you are.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

US 89

webny99

Quote from: 1 on December 08, 2020, 12:28:20 PM
This website should have ads unless you're logged in with 3 or more posts. While you recently reached 5,000 (which would be a programming bug if this was the cause), I don't think that's the issue, as I am the same rank you are.

Yeah, it's been happening when I'm logged in. I first noticed it well before I reached 5,000.

Elm

I think those are Google "vignette ads" (see the "ad formats" table here), which used to be mobile-only but recently expanded to desktop pages ("on wider screens"). The wide release seems to have been November 3.

I do a fair amount of my skimming logged out on my phone and get them often there (figured it was my penalty for not logging in), and I get them on desktop now, too, although I'm not sure exactly when that started for me. They come up the same way you described.

Scott5114

As mentioned before, if you're logged in, you should see no ads on this site. If you do, and you're using Windows, you probably have a virus causing it.

If you're on desktop, an ad-blocking extension (plus a script-blocking extension to deal with pissbaby sites that detect ad blockers and refuse to show content) is a thing of beauty.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Elm on December 08, 2020, 08:06:38 PM
The wide release seems to have been November 3.

The page says they started after November 3. Starting on November 3 would have been a really bad idea.

That said, I don't think I started seeing them until about a week ago (and definitely not on this site).

Roadgeekteen

I use Adblock and have been for a while, it's great. It even works on youtube.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

Do you see additional ads on other sites, as well? This was most certainly the case when I accidentally installed adware on an old computer (many of them were full-screen, as well).

On the topic of ads on this site, does AAROADS, or its associates, get any money from the ads seen when browsing as a guest? I would imagine that if the answer is yes, much of it goes to server maintenance.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2020, 12:08:41 PM
Something that I've noticed recently: When I click on a thread, I'll get a full-screen ad instead of the thread I clicked on.
Is this new? something that's been happening to others as well?

It seems to mostly happen in the "Recent Posts" section at the bottom of the main page, but I've had it elsewhere occasionally, too.
It's not a big deal (no pun intended); I'm just curious.

Are you Tap-a-talk?  Because there shouldn't be ads showing up if you use a browser & you're logged into the site.

webny99

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 09, 2020, 02:17:14 PM
Do you see additional ads on other sites, as well?

Not in this fashion, no. But then again, there's not many sites I use regularly besides this one, Google Maps, and a few others intermittently.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 09, 2020, 10:06:36 PM
Are you Tap-a-talk?  Because there shouldn't be ads showing up if you use a browser & you're logged into the site.

Nope, I'm on Chrome on my laptop, usually in incognito mode.

It seems to happen right when I first log in or within the first few clicks thereafter.
Trying to remember if it's ever happened multiple times in the same session. The fact that I can't remember makes me think maybe not.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I see an full page ad when I go between the AAroads homepage and the forum page.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hotdogPi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 10, 2020, 12:34:01 AM
I see an full page ad when I go between the AAroads homepage and the forum page.

The documentation says that it appears when you leave a page, not when you enter one. If the main AAroads homepage has ads, this could occur.

kphoger

I've never seen one on here.

I also never visit the main AARoads page, except occasionally by mistake.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on December 10, 2020, 07:23:36 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 10, 2020, 12:34:01 AM

The documentation says that it appears when you leave a page, not when you enter one. If the main AAroads homepage has ads, this could occur.

Actually it seems to mostly occur when I leave the forum homepage for a specific board or thread.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've been to regular old aaroads.com; I just use .../forum and come straight here.

kphoger

So, it happens when you're on the main forum page and click on a link to thread or topic category within the forum?

Never had that happen, personally.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on December 09, 2020, 11:37:59 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 09, 2020, 10:06:36 PM

Nope, I'm on Chrome on my laptop, usually in incognito mode.

It seems to happen right when I first log in or within the first few clicks thereafter.
Trying to remember if it's ever happened multiple times in the same session. The fact that I can't remember makes me think maybe not.

If you open new tabs, maybe the cookie doesn't transfer over properly when you're in incognito mode?  That's about all I can think of that could be happening.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2020, 01:38:13 PM
So, it happens when you're on the main forum page and click on a link to thread or topic category within the forum?

Yep.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 11, 2020, 02:32:07 AM
If you open new tabs, maybe the cookie doesn't transfer over properly when you're in incognito mode?  That's about all I can think of that could be happening.

Hmm, OK. Since I posted that, it's happened once while logged out, but not while logged in.
We'll see if it keeps happening, maybe it was just a fluke.

Henry

Same thing is happening to me, and it's annoying as hell.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.