Meta > Suggestions and Questions

How to make your own forum

(1/25) > >>

tolbs17:
I wanna create my own forum and I need help.

US 89:
Google search is your friend.

Scott5114:
Most web forums run as a PHP application that uses a MySQL database (or a compatible DBMS like MariaDB). Usually the workflow will be something like ensuring PHP and MySQL are running the required versions, create a MySQL user for the forum to interface with the database, then upload the forum software package to the server, unzip it, set the file permissions as appropriate (assuming you're running a Linux server, which why wouldn't you), then run the software package's installer (which will ask you, among other things, details about how to access the database using the user account you just created for it).

If the thought in your head after reading that is not "Oh, that seems simple enough", I would recommend researching each step individually. It is not a difficult process to go through if you're familiar with the underlying technologies. If you're not, I'd suggest setting up Apache and MySQL on your computer as a test system and spending a weekend or two screwing around learning how they work before spending the money to secure hosting and find out you have no interest in proceeding further.

Additionally: are you sure you want to create your own forum? It is no fun at all to go through the trouble of painstakingly setting up a forum and have nobody show up. This forum was successful because AARoads was already an established website (thereby ensuring that it comes up highly-ranked in search engines) and there was latent demand (MTR sucked and people wanted to move somewhere else, but nobody had stepped forward to provide that space yet). To create a successful forum, you need a clear topic of interest that would bring everyone together (on AARoads, that's roads) and a compelling reason to engage in that forum (such as there being no existing place to discuss the subject topic, or one that currently exists and is flawed).

If you're just curious how forums work and what it is like to be on the admin side, you can do most of that simply by installing a forum on Apache as described above and tinker with it knowing that it is just on a test site on your computer, and not feel bad if nobody wants to actually post on it.

Alps:

--- Quote from: tolbs17 on February 28, 2021, 03:29:55 PM ---I wanna create my own forum and I need help.

--- End quote ---
I will say this - don't try creating another roads forum. Others have tried, but this is too well-established at this point. If it's something roads-related, ask yourself if it's worth requesting another subpage here for a topic that maybe isn't getting enough discussion. If it's not roads-related, that's different.

1:

--- Quote from: Alps on February 28, 2021, 09:31:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: tolbs17 on February 28, 2021, 03:29:55 PM ---I wanna create my own forum and I need help.

--- End quote ---
I will say this - don't try creating another roads forum. Others have tried, but this is too well-established at this point. If it's something roads-related, ask yourself if it's worth requesting another subpage here for a topic that maybe isn't getting enough discussion. If it's not roads-related, that's different.

--- End quote ---

Even if it's not a US/Canada forum?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version