News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

One Way Concurrencies

Started by roadman65, March 22, 2021, 10:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that in Lancaster, PA that the Westbound alignments of PA routes 23 and 462 concur through Downtown on a one way street while their EB counterparts are on separate one way streets not even intersecting each other.

US 221 does it NB in Hazelhurst, GA where it concurs with US 23/ 341 NB, but SB it intersects without an overlap due to the one way couplets of US 221 ending at US 23 & 341 requiring it to return to its SB counterpart via the other US routes.

Are there any other situations where only one direction has a concurrency with another route the other direction does not?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

vdeane

I-87 and NY 7; they overlap northbound/eastbound between Northway exits 6 and 7, but westbound NY 7 is on a c/d road rather than the I-87 southbound mainline.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dirt Roads

The crazy loop intersection of US-60 and WV-25 at the west end of Charleston, West Virginia may still have a one-way concurrency.   

US-60 westbound comes in from Washington Street, turns south on Iowa Street at the intersection with Sissonville Road (formerly US-21), intersects with Seventh Avenue (WV-25, formerly US-35), and proceeded down Iowa Street multiplexed with WV-25 eastbound and turns left onto Fifth Avenue to meet up with Patrick Street.  WV-25 eastbound ended at Patrick Street, whereas US-60 westbound turned right and headed across the Patrick Street Bridge across the Kanawha River.

US-60 eastbound comes in from Patrick Street, passes Fifth Avenue and unexplicably turns left on Seventh Avenue for a very short block to the intersection with Rebecca Avenue.  This intersection was the start point for WV-25 westbound, which continued on Seventh Avenue, whereas US-60 turns right (north) onto Rebecca Avenue and then turns right onto Washington Street.  Most of US-60 traffic stays on Patrick Street and avoids the loopover, but there is a steep section on Patrick that made it necessary to reroute trucks onto Rebecca.

I'm not sure, but I rented a U-Haul near there about 5 years ago and I vaguely recall that WV-25 may have been cut back to Iowa Street.

wanderer2575

Pontiac, MI.  BL I-75 and BL US-24 have a two-way, same-way concurrency along Woodward Avenue.  But along the counterclockwise Woodward Loop downtown, there is a two-block wrong-way concurrency of southbound BL I-75 and northbound BL US-24 between the two points where the routes split from the loop.

https://goo.gl/maps/KQ5WJUPM4iCS1naT6

SkyPesos

I made a thread on this before, but it died before getting that many replies, so I'll just paste my op there into here.
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 19, 2021, 10:06:13 PM
I was looking at the I-68/I-70 interchange earlier and found something interesting between US 40 and US 522. In the EB direction, US 522 exits off I-70 on the left before US 40 joins I-70 on the right, so those two routes avoided a concurrency in the EB direction. But in the WB direction, US 522 joins the I-70/US 40 mainline on the left for about 1500 feet, before US 40 and I-68 exits on the left, which means that US 40 WB/US 522 NB were concurrent for a bit, but their EB/SB counterparts weren't concurrent at all.

paulthemapguy

This one is a little different; instead of two routes sharing a pair of one-way streets, one route uses a pair of one-way streets and uses a state route to get back to a two-way street.  I'm talking about IL-14 and IL-142 in McLeansboro, IL. The concurrency only lasts for one block, but it counts.  SB IL-142 is concurrent with IL-14, but NB IL-142 crosses straight through.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0896328,-88.5376687,17z
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

GaryV

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 23, 2021, 07:32:32 AM
Pontiac, MI.  BL I-75 and BL US-24 have a two-way, same-way concurrency along Woodward Avenue.  But along the counterclockwise Woodward Loop downtown, there is a two-block wrong-way concurrency of southbound BL I-75 and northbound BL US-24 between the two points where the routes split from the loop.

https://goo.gl/maps/KQ5WJUPM4iCS1naT6
To add to that, wb M-59 has a concurrency with those other routes along the north part of the Woodward loop.  But eb M-59 stays on Huron St and does not have a concurrency.

Takumi

US 460 and US 460 Business in Petersburg, VA. Mainline 460 eastbound follows the long access road from I-85 to I-95, while 460 Business joins it between US 301 and the fork where Business 460 heads left to County Drive and mainline 460 heads right to join I-95. This is also one of the few concurrencies between a mainline route and its own bannered route.

Westbound, 460 mainline is on I-95 northbound and 460 Business follows Winfield Road between County Drive and 301.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kenarmy

US 90, 98, and 98 BUS have such messy routings in Pensacola I'm sure at one point there was (is) a one way concurrency.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

hbelkins

Take a look at the intersections of US 31E, US 31W, US 31, and US 60; and US 31W, US 60, and US 150; all in Louisville, and try to figure something out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jmacswimmer

This one technically no longer exists following MD 355's truncation to the south side of Frederick, but the signage still exists so:

MD 144 east & MD 355 south on South St in Frederick - 355 south used South St to jog over from Bentz St (its one-way route south thru downtown) to rejoin 355 north on Market St (which is one-way north thru downtown).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on March 23, 2021, 09:24:36 AM
US 460 and US 460 Business in Petersburg, VA. Mainline 460 eastbound follows the long access road from I-85 to I-95, while 460 Business joins it between US 301 and the fork where Business 460 heads left to County Drive and mainline 460 heads right to join I-95. This is also one of the few concurrencies between a mainline route and its own bannered route.

Westbound, 460 mainline is on I-95 northbound and 460 Business follows Winfield Road between County Drive and 301.

Petersburg is full of these involving various combinations of US 1, US 301, US 301 ALT, US 460 Bus and VA 36

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 23, 2021, 08:59:00 AM
This one is a little different; instead of two routes sharing a pair of one-way streets, one route uses a pair of one-way streets and uses a state route to get back to a two-way street.  I'm talking about IL-14 and IL-142 in McLeansboro, IL. The concurrency only lasts for one block, but it counts.  SB IL-142 is concurrent with IL-14, but NB IL-142 crosses straight through.

I never thought about that one.  Probably because I've only ever driven through town on IL-14 one time, but I've driven through it on IL-142 several times.

And that's not all that makes downtown McLeansboro weird.  Also unusual for that part of the country is this parking setup.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Huntington, West Virginia has something similar.  The "new" Robert C. Byrd Bridge (WV-527) completed in 1994 splits the route such that northbound is on Sixth Street and southbound is on Fifth Street.  Railroad crossings for both Sixth and Fifth were closed many years ago (the C&O was quadruple main tracks plus the loopback track for the B&O Ohio River Line when I worked there many moons ago).  WV-527 southbound turns left on US-60 eastbound (Fifth Avenue), then turns right onto Sixth Street meeting back up with the northbound lanes.  Then everything has to zig and zag to find the Eighth Street underpass beneath the railroad.  I recall that there was also a different one-way concurrency back in the days when US-52 crossed the old Sixth Street Bridge, but both northbound and southbound lanes of US-52 were paired with US-60 way back as far as 1947.  Will keep looking.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2021, 01:49:24 PM
Take a look at the intersections of US 31E, US 31W, US 31, and US 60; and US 31W, US 60, and US 150; all in Louisville, and try to figure something out.

From looking at Google Maps, here's my best attempt to untangle the situation in Louisville.

Some background: The main east-west streets through downtown Louisville are as follows, from north to south: Main (westbound), Market (eastbound), Jefferson (westbound), and Liberty (eastbound). Anyway, based on what the Google map tells me, here's what I can determine.

The point at which US 31 splits into 31E and 31W is at the intersection of 2nd and Main. After 31 crosses the river from Indiana and enters downtown on 2nd, 31W southbound goes west on Main, with northbound 31W following Market eastbound. Meanwhile, southbound 31E goes a few blocks south on 2nd before turning east on Liberty, which it follows before turning south on Baxter Avenue. Northbound 31E, on the other hand, goes a little further north on Baxter before turning west on Main, which it then follows to the split/merge point at 2nd.

As for US 60: after entering the city from the southwest on Dixie Highway, it turns east on Broadway and then north on 9th Street. From 9th, eastbound 60 follows Liberty through downtown, then turns north on Baxter and then east on Main (yes, Main reverses directions here; it's complicated). A little further on, after crossing South Fork Beargrass Creek, Main turns into Mellwood Avenue; soon thereafter, 60 turns east onto Frankfort Avenue. Meanwhile, as for westbound 60 coming in from the east on Frankfort, it crosses the creek and turns west on Story Avenue; soon, this merges into Main, which 60 follows into downtown. From there, 60 turns south on 1st Street for a couple blocks, and then west on Jefferson before turning south on 9th and reuniting with the other direction of travel. (Why not just follow Main westbound all the way to 9th? If I were KYTC, that's what I would have done.)

Last but not least, US 150 simply steers clear of the downtown mess, coming into the city from the west on I-64 before splitting off at 22nd Street, which it follows south; from there, 150 turns east onto Broadway and follows that before turning south onto Baxter.

Are you following all that? Anyway, here's a map of the area; you will have to zoom in to see all the route numbers, though.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/LxEQtDEMgL8EomVQ8
This don't make sense as it shows US 31E going west on Main with US 31W.

Market at Baxter. https://goo.gl/maps/ugKwHY5qcsPkiTBn6
So your Liberty theory is out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 23, 2021, 08:51:14 PM
Huntington, West Virginia has something similar.  The "new" Robert C. Byrd Bridge (WV-527) completed in 1994 splits the route such that northbound is on Sixth Street and southbound is on Fifth Street.  Railroad crossings for both Sixth and Fifth were closed many years ago (the C&O was quadruple main tracks plus the loopback track for the B&O Ohio River Line when I worked there many moons ago).  WV-527 southbound turns left on US-60 eastbound (Fifth Avenue), then turns right onto Sixth Street meeting back up with the northbound lanes.  Then everything has to zig and zag to find the Eighth Street underpass beneath the railroad.  I recall that there was also a different one-way concurrency back in the days when US-52 crossed the old Sixth Street Bridge, but both northbound and southbound lanes of US-52 were paired with US-60 way back as far as 1947.  Will keep looking.

Digging through several maps, I couldn't find any more instances of one-way concurrencies here.  After US-52 was relocated to the West Huntington Bridge in 1979, the Sixth Street Bridge was renumbered as WV-527 (and OH-527 on the other side).  In the 1980 state map, WV-152 is shown as multiplexed with the US-60 one-way pair (Third Avenue westbound and Fifth Avenue eastbound) up to Eighth Street, then south to the railroad underpass.  That's pretty much the same as the US-52 routing in 1947.  But when I worked in West Huntington back in the mid-1980s, it seemed like WV-527 was tangled up on the downtown side more like what you see today.

Just noticed that US-60 westbound is no longer routed along Third Street in this area.  There is a one-way "bypass" of the south abutment for the Robert C. Byrd Bridge, and it is aptly named Second Avenue.  There's another section of Second Avenue in the industrial section to the east of downtown, but this section appears to be new.  Anyhow, for this thread it means that it is impossible to ever create a two-way concurrency between WV-152 and US-60.  For another thread, I haven't had US-60 clinched in West Virginia since the bridge opened in 1994.  Ouch!

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2021, 02:11:56 AM
This don't make sense as it shows US 31E going west on Main with US 31W.

According to this (scroll way in) https://maps.kytc.ky.gov/generalhighway/

US 31 begins at 2nd at Market.  This is where 31W northbound ends and US 31E southbound begins and stays on Market to Baxter.  Their reverse direction endpoints are 2nd and Main.

The problem is that coming off the 2nd St bridge there is an assembly that says both US 31E and US 31W turn onto Main WB - https://goo.gl/maps/VzQNtww5qYLuEnrk9

hbelkins

When I go to conferences in downtown Louisville, I frequently drive across the river to eat (there's a Culver's over there now) and it's more convenient to take the old bridge than to get on the interstate (it's also free now, too). Last time I did so, the "31E-31W right" assembly was gone.

Louisville's signed route numbers are terribly marked in downtown. There used to be a lot of old signage along Main, but it's gone now.

And US 60 runs on the Main-Market pair, not Liberty.

Basically, eastbound US 60 follows US 31W to the point where it becomes US 31E, then does that jog at the east end of Main Street (where US 42 comes in).

Mapmikey's description of the routes sounds about right, despite the former presence of the "both suffixes turn right" sign. There should be a description of the routes at the Jefferson County SPRS listing on the "printable maps" page.

CardInLex

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 24, 2021, 08:49:37 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2021, 02:11:56 AM
This don’t make sense as it shows US 31E going west on Main with US 31W.

According to this (scroll way in) https://maps.kytc.ky.gov/generalhighway/

US 31 begins at 2nd at Market.  This is where 31W northbound ends and US 31E southbound begins and stays on Market to Baxter.  Their reverse direction endpoints are 2nd and Main.

The problem is that coming off the 2nd St bridge there is an assembly that says both US 31E and US 31W turn onto Main WB - https://goo.gl/maps/VzQNtww5qYLuEnrk9

The one block of 2nd St between Market and Main is a reverse direction concurrency. Northbound lanes are US 31W while the southbound lanes are US 31E.

Should be noted that the KYTC interactive map lists this block as “US 31” with no suffixes. US 60 is hard to follow on the KYTC map because it lists only the lower numbered concurrency.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2021, 02:44:53 PM

That's what I remember from a visit to Louisville in March 2010. So why might it be, then, that Google Maps has US 60 following Liberty, as can be seen in this link here?

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 23, 2021, 02:05:10 PM
Quote from: Takumi on March 23, 2021, 09:24:36 AM

Petersburg is full of these involving various combinations of US 1, US 301, US 301 ALT, US 460 Bus and VA 36
Yeah, and most of them aren't really necessary anymore. Getting fictional, I'd move 36 onto Washington/Wythe to University Boulevard (N South St), 1/301 use Adams to Washington/Wythe where they split, and 301A use Washington/Wythe from Adams to Sycamore. The other streets have more pedestrian traffic and don't really need to be primary, and Sycamore is indefinitely closed between Bank and Bollingbrook.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 24, 2021, 07:09:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2021, 02:44:53 PM

That's what I remember from a visit to Louisville in March 2010. So why might it be, then, that Google Maps has US 60 following Liberty, as can be seen in this link here?

Because it's Google Maps. It also shows US 31E on Liberty there, which is also wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.