News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions (sports edition)

Started by kenarmy, March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 03:51:14 PM
NASCAR is boring and much worse than even baseball, tennis, or volleyball. The only sport less interesting is golf.
I would rank those five in this order:
Least interesting: Volleyball, I've never liked it much.
4. Baseball: Cool when you're actually at the ballpark, but impossible to watch on TV without immediately realizing that you're wasting four hours of your time watching the pitcher fool around.
3. Nascar: Not really my thing but watching it does make time pass.
2. Tennis: Long rallies are exciting, watching them bounce the ball to themselves for five minutes straight is not. I would enjoy it more if they simplified their scoring system. Get rid of "sets" and "games". First to 50 points wins. Serve alternates every 5 points.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""Most interesting""""""""""""""""""""""": Golf, I guess? Sundays of major tournaments are very exciting. Everything else is boring.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on May 25, 2021, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 03:51:14 PM
NASCAR is boring and much worse than even baseball, tennis, or volleyball. The only sport less interesting is golf.
I would rank those five in this order:
Least interesting: Volleyball, I've never liked it much. ...
I actually like playing volleyball, maybe just because it's one of the few sports I'm not terrible at.

I don't have a strong take on how interesting it is to watch, but it is certainly not the least watchable sport. It's fast-paced and there's usually plenty of exciting moments.

CoreySamson

Yeah, ditto about volleyball being really fun to play. My favorite thing to do is block spikes (so satisfying!), and otherwise be a menace in the front near the net since I'm pretty tall. Although I did get a hard spike to the face a couple months ago (surprisingly, my glasses didn't break).

I suspect this opinion is unpopular: basketball is very boring (both to watch and to play).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 25, 2021, 10:02:37 PM
Yeah, ditto about volleyball being really fun to play. My favorite thing to do is block spikes (so satisfying!), and otherwise be a menace in the front near the net since I'm pretty tall. Although I did get a hard spike to the face a couple months ago (surprisingly, my glasses didn't break).

I suspect this opinion is unpopular: basketball is very boring (both to watch and to play).

If you are talking the NBA I'd agree due to how WWF/WWE it has become over the years for watching the product......along with many athletes and coaches getting all preachy on social issues, yet they don't practice what they preach(this part doesn't make it boring, but kills interest in watching quickly).

If it's college basketball I would disagree, get two closely enough matched teams watching teams play all out for the 40 minutes or more is exciting, compared to NBA teams only flipping the on switch at certain times
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

thspfc

Too many fouls in the NBA. Not much defense. Seems like every possession has four possible outcomes:
- Free throws
- Made 3 pointer
- Missed 3 pointer
- Layup

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2021, 11:58:18 AM

Too many fouls in the NBA. Not much defense. Seems like every possession has four possible outcomes:
- Free throws
- Made 3 pointer
- Missed 3 pointer
- Layup
Yes basketball has too many fouls.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 26, 2021, 01:10:30 PM

- Free throws
- Made 3 pointer
- Missed 3 pointer
- Layup

Bring back the old European model of getting 3 chances to make 2 free throws rather than just 2 free throws. Would be more disincentive to foul.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2021, 01:37:17 PM

- Free throws
- Made 3 pointer
- Missed 3 pointer
- Layup

Bring back the old European model of getting 3 chances to make 2 free throws rather than just 2 free throws. Would be more disincentive to foul.
That would just slow the game down more.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

How do people watch other people bowl?

texaskdog

- Free throws
- Made 3 pointer
- Missed 3 pointer
- Layup

I'd love a rule to get rid of all the fowling in the last two minutes. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: texaskdog on May 26, 2021, 02:06:00 PM

So they need to stop being chickens?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

gr8daynegb

Quote from: texaskdog on May 26, 2021, 02:05:19 PM

Well when we are at bowling alley we drink beer,  and if I'm watching on tv at home it's #1- a lazy day and #2- sadly it would be the most interesting thing on tv

texaskdog

Quote from: gr8daynegb on May 26, 2021, 02:18:31 PM

Well when we are at bowling alley we drink beer,  and if I'm watching on tv at home it's #1- a lazy day and #2- sadly it would be the most interesting thing on tv

I understand, I have ESPN 3

Never thought I'd be entertained watching men cornholing.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

As a Bucks fan if Giannis would make his free throws they'd stop the fowling as well........although I wish refs would call a foul the same whether you're LeBron James/Michael Jordan or guy #11 or 12 in the rotation. 

Alps

It's fun, as a bowler. I think it's always easier to watch a sport you know.

gr8daynegb

If you do something out of the ordinary people seem to pay attention. I myself barely through a hook but lanes say when I roll 23-26mph, so when I throw strikes that creates a sound that gets peoples attention lol.

Alps

Quote from: gr8daynegb on May 26, 2021, 07:28:29 PM
If you do something out of the ordinary people seem to pay attention. I myself barely through a hook but lanes say when I roll 23-26mph, so when I throw strikes that creates a sound that gets peoples attention lol.
My God, what weight ball do you use? On a 15 or 16, I can throw about 17 mph. Fastest I can throw is 20 but with no control.

thspfc

- Free throws
- Made 3 pointer
- Missed 3 pointer
- Layup

What? That would be chaos. You mean that literally nothing would be a foul in the last two minutes? A much better solution would be to run 30 seconds off the clock for every foul committed by the losing team in the final two minutes.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Going to be hard for Atlanta or New Orleans to win any games.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Billy F 1988

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 25, 2021, 11:44:36 AM
NASCAR isn't racing. It's racin'.

Oh, right. Sadly, I think it's lost its Southern charm for quite some time.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Alps on May 27, 2021, 12:57:38 AM
My God, what weight ball do you use? On a 15 or 16, I can throw about 17 mph. Fastest I can throw is 20 but with no control.

I use a 16 lb ball.  Helps too that I'm 6 ft 6 inches tall with long arms.   I can be in the 21-21.5mph range and still maintain control of where I bowl regardless if good or bad day.  If I have an in the zone day then can do 22.5-23mph on those days.  Anything after 23+ is anyone's guess lol. 

I roll a straight ball, assuming yours you throw a hook?

Alps

Quote from: gr8daynegb on May 28, 2021, 01:53:47 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 27, 2021, 12:57:38 AM

I use a 16 lb ball.  Helps too that I'm 6 ft 6 inches tall with long arms.   I can be in the 21-21.5mph range and still maintain control of where I bowl regardless if good or bad day.  If I have an in the zone day then can do 22.5-23mph on those days.  Anything after 23+ is anyone's guess lol. 

I roll a straight ball, assuming yours you throw a hook?
A relatively more mild hook than some, but it's there. I have a straighter older ball that's 16 but my thumb doesn't fit quite right so I can't get enough speed off of it.

triplemultiplex

I'll bowl with any ball I can get my giant fingers inside of.  Usually there's like 3 at a typical bowling alley. :-/
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

gr8daynegb

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 04, 2021, 04:49:04 PM
I'll bowl with any ball I can get my giant fingers inside of.  Usually there's like 3 at a typical bowling alley. :-/

Hence why I bought my own ball.  Only my own germs to deal with, and I know I always will have a ball to use.  :bigass:

webny99

In the NFL, the following teams should switch divisions:

Miami Dolphins to the AFC South
Indianapolis Colts to the AFC North
Baltimore Ravens to the AFC East

Dallas Cowboys to the NFC South
Carolina Panthers to the NFC East

This would solve the two biggest issues with the current divisions, which is the Cowboys are too far west/south to be in the NFC East, and the Colts being in the AFC South despite being located north of the Bengals.

This would also mean that all three Florida teams are in a South Division.

:popcorn:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.