Meta > Suggestions and Questions

Posting/Embedding images from Facebook posts

(1/2) > >>

Route66Fan:
Is there any way to embed images from Facebook posts on here? I've found some pictures of old roads & bridges on there & I would like to share them on here.

Scott5114:
No. Facebook image URLs are unreliable and expire after a time. Also, the person who posted it to Facebook can delete or make it friends-only at any time.

If you see an image on Facebook you want to share, ask the user if they would mind if you shared it here, and if they don't care, upload it to an image hosting service and post it the usual way.

kphoger:
Except that one time I grabbed a picture of me and my kids by a road sign from my wife's Facebook page, uploaded it to my own 3rd-party image hosting site (imgur), posted it on here, then had a mod/admin remove it because my kids supposedly hadn't consented to have their pictures posted...

webny99:

--- Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 01:55:01 PM ---Except that one time I grabbed a picture of me and my kids by a road sign from my wife's Facebook page, uploaded it to my own 3rd-party image hosting site (imgur), posted it on here, then had a mod/admin remove it because my kids supposedly hadn't consented to have their pictures posted...

--- End quote ---

That is very strange. I don't see any reason why you'd need consent from your own kids.

I've also seen several road meet photos posted to the forum, and I doubt everyone in those photos gave consent for it to be posted here (unless they did so at the time the photo was taken... but in that case, couldn't you just say the same thing about your kids?)

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2021, 02:07:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 01:55:01 PM ---Except that one time I grabbed a picture of me and my kids by a road sign from my wife's Facebook page, uploaded it to my own 3rd-party image hosting site (imgur), posted it on here, then had a mod/admin remove it because my kids supposedly hadn't consented to have their pictures posted...

--- End quote ---

That is very strange. I don't see any reason why you'd need consent from your own kids.

--- End quote ---

They're still people with a right to privacy. Fortunately there wasn't social media when I was a kid, and my mom hasn't ever gotten onto it anyway, but I would have been supremely embarrassed, annoyed, and creeped out if my parents had posted pictures of me anywhere strangers could see them. Their decisions don't necessarily represent my wishes.

There's also the issue of people potentially seeking out pictures of young children because they wish to do them harm. Of course anything posted on AARoads is going to play a minor part in that, if at all, but still, I am not comfortable with that being a possibility.

People in road meet photos are different because they are adults. There is an expectation that road meet photos will be circulated on the Internet, so if someone doesn't wish for their image to be circulated, they can step away from the group or offer to be the one taking the picture, both of which ensures they won't be in the picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version