News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What do you dislike on your section of road you've been on the most?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 10, 2021, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SkyPesos

I have to pass through three traffic signals at the interchange that are not coordinated with each other just to get on SB I-71.

webny99

The traffic.
The pavement quality.
The high volumes of traffic driving on the shoulders.
The lack of turning lanes.
The lack of investment.

Max Rockatansky

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tradephoric

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

The traffic light second closest to my house. It doesn't matter if I'm coming north, south, east or west every time I come up to the stupid light it's always turning red. I might make the light 2 times out of 10. About a half mile away from that light I don't like that there's no left turn arrow for the left turn lanes at a street that has 30,000 vehicles a day and three lanes to cross over.

wanderer2575

That would be the traffic signal a block from my home.  It's in 24-hour operation but there are pavement sensors on the cross street so a green light phase should trigger only when there is a vehicle on the cross street.  The street was torn up and repaved in 2019, but the sensor loop on that leg was never replaced.  That's like a broken sensor wire and it tells the controller there is constant traffic on the cross street, which triggers a maximum-length green light phase for the cross street every cycle, all day and night.  I just love sitting at that red light at midnight with no traffic around for miles.  I've reported it several times to the city but no fix yet.

ET21

Deterioration of pavement/bridges and outdated intersections that could use new synchronized traffic lights
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Jmiles32

For US-29 in Gainesville it would be the annoying 3rd lane drop immediately south (west) of the Linton Hall Road/VA-55 interchange. IMO it is a very dangerous situation with cars coming from Linton Hall Road/VA-55 often having to merge over two lanes in heavy traffic. Surprised that there's not an insane amount of accidents. At the very least, that third lane should go to the Somerset Crossing Drive light. Ideally it would go all the way to Warrenton.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sprjus4

Quote from: Jmiles32 on May 11, 2021, 03:58:07 PM
For US-29 in Gainesville it would be the annoying 3rd lane drop immediately south (west) of the Linton Hall Road/VA-55 interchange. IMO it is a very dangerous situation with cars coming from Linton Hall Road/VA-55 often having to merge over two lanes in heavy traffic. Surprised that there's not an insane amount of accidents. At the very least, that third lane should go to the Somerset Crossing Drive light. Ideally it would go all the way to Warrenton.
Ideally it would be a freeway all the way to Warrenton.

sparker

If it's in reference to the nearest state highway, the CA 87 freeway, it would be the unevenness of the pavement NB at the I-280 interchange, coupled with the often harrowing merge north of there where the 2-lane C/D road merges with the 3-lane NB main lanes -- and the leftmost C/D lane "zippers" with the rightmost primary lane.  Unfortunately, there's often a marked disparity of speeds regarding traffic merging from the C/D lane (considerably slower), so the disruption is consistent until things clear out after the Taylor Street interchange. 

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Raise your hand if the road you've been on the most is a road you have never resided on.

I may have lived at my current residence for longer than any previous residence, therefore I may assume the street outside my house is the road I've been on the most.

What do I dislike about it?  It's that I live between two uncontrolled intersections, yet a lot of people seem to think my street gets the right of way, no matter who arrives at the intersection first or who is on the right.  Why do I dislike that?  Well, for two reasons:  (1) People drive too fast down my street, I assume because they seem to think all cross traffic must stop for them;  (2) When I stop at one of those uncontrolled intersections to let the person approaching on my right go first, that other driver almost always stops, stares at me for a few seconds, and then waves for me to go first–rather than just going first and moving on with life.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 05:03:22 PM

Quote from: renegade on May 12, 2021, 05:02:19 PM
A woman.

Was her car blocking the road?

I assume she takes a walk down his street, and he just hates her guts for some reason.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

renegade

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 05:21:24 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 05:17:05 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 05:03:22 PM

Quote from: renegade on May 12, 2021, 05:02:19 PM
A woman.

Was her car blocking the road?

I assume she takes a walk down his street, and he just hates her guts for some reason.
He hates a lot of things.
No.  Just nosy people who ask far too many irrelevant questions.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Bruce

Drivers can't handle double-left turn lanes at all. Or a green arrow.

zachary_amaryllis

for me, its the lack of understanding that the highway i live on is not just a tourist road.

i'm blessed to live in the mountains, but it seems like i always get stuck behind one of those guys/girls who hits the brakes for every curve (its quite easy to drive this road without touching the brakes), and wants to plod along at 30mph.

yeah, its a tourist road, but its also a working thru state highway, and many people who drive it are commuting to work, etc, and just want to get home. or to work. there's few passing zones on the section that i drive, and traffic is usually busy enough to make a pass impossible, or dicey at best. my camry can get angry quick if i put my foot in it, but i don't like to drive like that. plus there's limits to its anger.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 05:16:32 PM
Raise your hand if the road you've been on the most is a road you have never resided on.

Obviously nobody's counting, but it's very plausible. I moved to the east side of Norman to the east side in 2010. I lived in an apartment from 2010—2012, a duplex for part of 2012, a rental house from 2013 to 2017, and a house I own from 2017 to present. All of these are on different streets, but the whole time my work was to the west of Norman, which meant that my commute consisted of "find the best path to Highway 9, then take that in to work". Each day that I worked, I was adding one trip to the street that I lived on and one to Highway 9.  Since the street that I lived on changed but Highway 9 didn't, each time I moved, it had a large head start in front of my new home street.

Add to the fact that Highway 9 has a concurrency with Interstate 35 over a bridge, and using that bridge was a common occurrence before I moved to Norman, and I'd be surprised if that I-35/SH-9 bridge I've never lived on wasn't my most-traveled route.

Also, to get relentlessly pedantic, I live on a corner lot and my driveway doesn't let out onto the street my house faces, which my address is on. So despite living on the same street for four years, I've only driven on the street I live on a handful of times.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

The "road I've been on the most" would be neighborhood streets, so I will instead use the nearest arterial road for my answer.

Aggressive drivers.
People going straight from left-turn-only lanes.
People who drive in the center lane or the left lane but who want to turn right and expect everyone else to know that and to get out of their way.
People who use the right-turn-only lane to try to cut the line at the red light to go straight ahead.
People who want to speed everywhere else but for some reason want to go 35 mph in a 45-mph zone on this road.
People with no lane discipline when turning at lights with dual turn lanes.
Lack of crosswalks on two sides of the largest intersection.
An annoying manhole cover I always try to avoid.
Potholes at the intersection with the Beltway interchange.
One left-turn lane that isn't long enough for the large trucks that use it to reach an industrial area, so they stick out into thru traffic.
An unnecessary left-turn lane that duplicates a right-side loop ramp; the resulting green arrow reduces green time for thru traffic coming the other way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.