News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I -40 Hernando Desoto Bridge at Memphis shutdown

Started by Wayward Memphian, May 11, 2021, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 15, 2021, 01:06:19 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 15, 2021, 12:56:18 PM
Perhaps it is time for a supplemental ferry service to start up river and down river.
Ooh... here's an idea. Build another crossing.

"The finger thing means the taxes"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Mr. Matté on May 15, 2021, 05:09:57 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 15, 2021, 01:06:19 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 15, 2021, 12:56:18 PM
Perhaps it is time for a supplemental ferry service to start up river and down river.
Ooh... here's an idea. Build another crossing.

"The finger thing means the taxes"
It would probably take longer to build a new crossing.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kenarmy

I still don't understand why it should be displayed that far south though. The sign was past US 49 and I-20, and that wouldn't even be worth the detour anyway. Oh, and it says "use an alternate route"  but drivers ARE on the alternate route.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

US 89

Quote from: kenarmy on May 15, 2021, 07:02:14 PM
I still don't understand why it should be displayed that far south though. The sign was past US 49 and I-20, and that wouldn't even be worth the detour anyway. Oh, and it says "use an alternate route"  but drivers ARE on the alternate route.

Just to prepare people for the inevitable shitshow that will occur in Memphis.

This type of thing doesn't bother me at all - VMSs in Salt Lake City routinely display weather-related closures of I-80 in Wyoming hundreds of miles away.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on May 15, 2021, 07:56:44 PM

Also, in this case "seek alternate routes" has a much more nuanced meaning than simply "I-40 closed, use I-55". It's a given that I-55 will be congested, so traffic might want to seek alternate routes to that as well (I-155 is the obvious one, but Cairo and Paducah could also be options for anyone bound for I-57).

froggie

Quote from: bwana39 on May 15, 2021, 02:07:26 PM
This MIGHT be of use if the rest of the world were onboard, but China (the largest polluter), India, and the third world will be decades behind us if ever.

It's worth noting that China is the largest polluter in no small part due to being the most populous country in the world and they've been developing their economy like crazy.

Also worth noting that China has built and continues to expand a quite extensive high speed rail network that completely puts the U.S. to shame.  Granted, being the most populous country means they have a population density 4 times that of the U.S. which is better able to support such a rail system.

edwaleni

Quote from: US 89 on May 15, 2021, 07:56:44 PM

This type of thing doesn't bother me at all - VMSs in Salt Lake City routinely display weather-related closures of I-80 in Wyoming hundreds of miles away.

If was haulin a load east and the pass between Laramie and Cheyenne was having issues, I would love a VMS in SLC to tell me.

US71

Is it just me or does it sound like TDOT has stricter inspection standards than ARDOT?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bwana39

Quote from: froggie on May 15, 2021, 11:12:18 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on May 15, 2021, 02:07:26 PM
This MIGHT be of use if the rest of the world were onboard, but China (the largest polluter), India, and the third world will be decades behind us if ever.

It's worth noting that China is the largest polluter in no small part due to being the most populous country in the world and they've been developing their economy like crazy.

Also worth noting that China has built and continues to expand a quite extensive high speed rail network that completely puts the U.S. to shame.  Granted, being the most populous country means they have a population density 4 times that of the U.S. which is better able to support such a rail system.

No, it is the largest polluter because it has taken the lead position in smokestack industries. While more developed countries in the world have to try to compete using expensive pollution remediation, the Chinese and Indian industries pollute at will. The exception is when the people who are receiving the exports demand remediation, and even then, they are far less than those required in the US and western Europe. China is the largest consumer of coal both by volume and per capita.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: US71 on May 16, 2021, 06:29:28 PM
Is it just me or does it sound like TDOT has stricter inspection standards than ARDOT?

I thought ARDOT was the lead agency in having the current inspection done.....

US71

Quote from: bwana39 on May 16, 2021, 06:31:35 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 16, 2021, 06:29:28 PM

I thought ARDOT was the lead agency in having the current inspection done.....

Theoretically, yes...but it's sounding (to me at least) like (a) TNDOT has higher standards or  ARDOT fumbled the ball somewhere.

Brandon

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 12, 2021, 10:20:05 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on May 12, 2021, 09:48:01 PM
If Arkansas wanted to get really creative, it could advise Long Distance EB I-40 traffic at Little Rock to use US 67/Future I-57 to US 412 to reach the I-155/US 412 Bridge, and follow US 412 back to I-40 in Tennessee. Tennessee could sign the same Long Distance detour for WB I-40 traffic approaching Jackson, TN
Such a routing would add almost an hour to a trip and involve significant mileage on 2 lane roads. It might be a decent alternative made personally by someone to take, but too far out of the way and not viable to be signed something like on a VMS.

What 2-lane roads?  That's US-412 (divided highway) to I-155 (freeway) to I-55 (freeway).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on May 16, 2021, 07:11:38 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 12, 2021, 10:20:05 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on May 12, 2021, 09:48:01 PM
If Arkansas wanted to get really creative, it could advise Long Distance EB I-40 traffic at Little Rock to use US 67/Future I-57 to US 412 to reach the I-155/US 412 Bridge, and follow US 412 back to I-40 in Tennessee. Tennessee could sign the same Long Distance detour for WB I-40 traffic approaching Jackson, TN
Such a routing would add almost an hour to a trip and involve significant mileage on 2 lane roads. It might be a decent alternative made personally by someone to take, but too far out of the way and not viable to be signed something like on a VMS.

What 2-lane roads?  That's US-412 (divided highway) to I-155 (freeway) to I-55 (freeway).
Part of US 412 in Missouri is two lanes.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

webny99

I believe Brandon is referring only to the eastern half of the routing (I-155 east to Dyersburg and US 412 from there to I-40 at Jackson). That's how I read it at first as well.

It would work for I-55 SB traffic, but a bit much for I-40 EB IMO because of the two-lane section, not to mention the fact that I-40 traffic could just follow I-55 to I-155.

US71

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2021/may/15/19-inspection-spied-damage-i-40-bridge

An agency statement said it is investigating to see if a September 2019 inspection noted that damage and what, if any, actions were taken.

Avalanchez71

Heads are probably going to roll on this one. :spin:

US71

Brandon

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 16, 2021, 07:30:27 PM
Paragould to Kennett is only 2 lanes.

Why would you do that when you can just go back to I-40 on I-55, if you're going back to I-40?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bwana39

Quote from: US71 on May 16, 2021, 10:07:18 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 16, 2021, 10:03:41 PM

Just the scapegoats  :pan: :evilgrin:

The irony is it isn't the state's DOT that is to blame. It is the low bidder engineering firm (contractor) who did the inspection.

US71

Quote from: bwana39 on May 16, 2021, 11:21:46 PM

The irony is it isn't the state's DOT that is to blame. It is the low bidder engineering firm (contractor) who did the inspection.

Who has deeper pockets?

Big John

Engineering firms are not supposed to selected by low bid, but rather by who is the most qualified.

sprjus4

Quote from: Brandon on May 16, 2021, 11:03:28 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 16, 2021, 07:30:27 PM
Paragould to Kennett is only 2 lanes.

Why would you do that when you can just go back to I-40 on I-55, if you're going back to I-40?
Oh, I definitely agree, I was pointing out the two lane section when someone mentioned taking US-67 to US-412.

I-40 to I-55 would be the best route for through traffic though, not the former.

kalvado

Contractor was probably tasked primarily with inspection of most probable failure points - joints, connections, welds. Failure of a uniform steel bar somewhere in the middle, without a catastrophic consequences, probably means structural loads were not too high, so failure was not anticipated, hence no focused inspection.

bwana39

Quote from: Big John on May 16, 2021, 11:36:39 PM

Engineering firms are not supposed to selected by low bid, but rather by who is the most qualified.

Sort of. The low bidder from among those who meet the qualification criteria. It is still the low bidder. The bids generally allow them minimal time to inspect EXACTLY what is identified on the spec and little if anything more.

It is kind of like a doctor I saw. If I added an additional concern, I would have to schedule another visit at a later time. Likewise if the contractor spied a problem, he would need to get the DOT to authorize additional expenditure to investigate it. IF!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.