News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I -40 Hernando Desoto Bridge at Memphis shutdown

Started by Wayward Memphian, May 11, 2021, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayward Memphian

Even the local lefty rag The Memphis Flyer is calling for a third bridge now as long as it can also handle high speed rail one day.

Their editorial also pointed out how silly TDOT's desire to shutdown the old bridge was giving the issues this has shown and how if this problem was caught when it should have, it may have overlapped with the closure.

It is clear they favor a bridge that ties in with the future I-69 corridor in North Memphis.

Road Hog

Quote from: edwaleni on June 23, 2021, 12:49:57 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on June 22, 2021, 01:02:06 AM
https://twitter.com/niclawrencetdot/status/1407091694995132420

Can't wait to read the metallurgical analysis of the fracture.  They will be able to date the fracture by the levels of oxidation.
Maybe so, but there is photographic evidence of the fracture that can be interpolated as well.

bwana39

Work is progressing nicely. The last of the slabs are being placed, but the bolting and post tensioning will take a while. Even then reopening is subject to the outcome of the thorough inspection that is being conducted on the rest of the bridge. Remediation of other problems might individually take a similar time to what this repair has taken.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/22700/hernando-desoto-bridge-finald-slab-in-lace#/questions
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

I hope they go back and improve that temp two lane exit transition from the old bridge to viaduct portion of I-55 on the Memphis side. That should have been done decades ago. It is stillnpoorly signed and most all were still trying g to get to the right lane over the bridge. Just memory reflex I guess.

sparker

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 07, 2021, 07:27:21 PM
I hope they go back and improve that temp two lane exit transition from the old bridge to viaduct portion of I-55 on the Memphis side. That should have been done decades ago. It is stillnpoorly signed and most all were still trying g to get to the right lane over the bridge. Just memory reflex I guess.

I remember the first time I had to do that; had to fight what seemed to be a convoy of semis just to get to the right lane before the bridge.  Barring a replacement of the structure, an expansion of the EB>SB ramp -- or even a full rebuild of the 55/Crump interchange per published plans -- will still have little if any effect on the traffic patterns essentially mandated by the facility's limitations.  It's like cleaning the mesh debris trap in a faucet if the pipes feeding it are clogged -- won't accomplish much!

bwana39

There is a plan for a complete rebuild of the intersection. It will take a couple of years, but after this mess, I figure they do this straight away unless they make their priority a new river crossing on either end of the city.

MikieTimT

Quote from: bwana39 on July 08, 2021, 10:49:04 AM

There is a plan for a complete rebuild of the intersection. It will take a couple of years, but after this mess, I figure they do this straight away unless they make their priority a new river crossing on either end of the city.

Hopefully this has been enough of a black eye for TDOT that it finally gets the attention it's been needing FOREVER!

Avalanchez71

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 08, 2021, 05:28:05 PM

Hopefully this has been enough of a black eye for TDOT that it finally gets the attention it's been needing FOREVER!

The intersection/interchange has served a useful function for many years and is a characteristic of the needs of the community. 

Building a new bridge has a major impact to shipping.  The skippers will have to learn how to pilot around said bridge.  This creates another hazard to avoid.

bwana39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 09, 2021, 07:55:55 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on July 08, 2021, 05:28:05 PM

The intersection/interchange has served a useful function for many years and is a characteristic of the needs of the community. 

Building a new bridge has a major impact to shipping.  The skippers will have to learn how to pilot around said bridge.  This creates another hazard to avoid.

Yes a new bridge will create a new challenge for river traffic. If it is properly designed and placed in the river it should be minimal.
The I-55 EH Crump Blvd intersection is a leftover from a time before the HDB. It is the epitome of the neglect all of Memphis has gotten from Nashville. As far as that goes, Nashville itself has places where the frugality of the Tennessee Legislature shows up as well. When the Crump intersection was built, this routing of I-55 was temporary. I-55 was going to be routed across the HDB and follow the Riverfront Expressway which was thankfully never built.  Even outside the temporary status, US-61/ I-55 was secondary. The greater E/W traffic and any traffic heading north followed Crump at least to 3rd street if not all the way to mid-town.

froggie

Quote from: Avalanchez71Building a new bridge has a major impact to shipping.  The skippers will have to learn how to pilot around said bridge.  This creates another hazard to avoid.

The construction of the bridge itself has an impact, but not as large as you may think.  Design and construction of major waterway bridges takes into account the river channels and river traffic.  A number of locations where this has been done in recent years:  St. Francisville LA, the Quad Cities, and St. Paul MN to name a few.  Several other examples along the Mississippi alone.

bwana39

Quote from: froggie on July 09, 2021, 09:56:48 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71Building a new bridge has a major impact to shipping.  The skippers will have to learn how to pilot around said bridge.  This creates another hazard to avoid.

The construction of the bridge itself has an impact, but not as large as you may think.  Design and construction of major waterway bridges takes into account the river channels and river traffic.  A number of locations where this has been done in recent years:  St. Francisville LA, the Quad Cities, and St. Paul MN to name a few.  Several other examples along the Mississippi alone.

The more poignant example would be Greenville MS (US-82). A bridge that was a real impediment to river traffic was replaced by one that was  better positioned for river traffic.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bwana39 on July 09, 2021, 11:14:55 AM
Quote from: froggie on July 09, 2021, 09:56:48 AM

The more poignant example would be Greenville MS (US-82). A bridge that was a real impediment to river traffic was replaced by one that was  better positioned for river traffic.

The inverse being the Big Bayou Cannot Bridge that was built to be a swivel bridge but was never fitted with the mechanics for it to swivel because the bayou was deemed unnavigable.  So, a bridge built with river navigation in mind that never had any river traffic. 

Wayward Memphian

If that plane still calls for a shutdown of the bridge, you can forget it. No one wants that given the experience with this. Improve the temporary fix to permanent status and take the reduction to a single lane exit for I-55 permanently out of the equation.

sparker

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 09, 2021, 02:30:50 PM

If that plane still calls for a shutdown of the bridge, you can forget it. No one wants that given the experience with this. Improve the temporary fix to permanent status and take the reduction to a single lane exit for I-55 permanently out of the equation.

Question: has anyone (meaning TDOT and/or ADOT) considered a parallel bridge to the present I-55 through truss -- it could (conceivably) be built adjacent and then used for both directions while the current bridge is revamped for 3 lanes in one direction, eliminating the need for a total bridge shutdown.  Been done elsewhere with reasonable success and could be worked into the Crump modification as necessary.   

Tomahawkin

A new bridge over the Mississippi would probably be made resistant to Floods as well as earthquake proof. It might take 8 years to build? IMO it should be built to handle 10 lanes total. Therefore a accident on the bridge doesn't shut down the whole interstare

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on July 09, 2021, 08:00:18 PM
A new bridge over the Mississippi would probably be made resistant to Floods as well as earthquake proof. It might take 8 years to build? IMO it should be built to handle 10 lanes total. Therefore a accident on the bridge doesn't shut down the whole interstare

10 total lanes might be asking too much; it's probably not possible to reconfigure the existing I-55 bridge for anything exceeding three 12-foot lanes with "bridge-acceptable" shoulders.  Perhaps a 2nd/parallel bridge could have up to 5 lanes, with maybe one or two reversible for peak traffic. 

froggie

Quote from: sparker on July 09, 2021, 05:35:59 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 09, 2021, 02:30:50 PM

Question: has anyone (meaning TDOT and/or ADOT) considered a parallel bridge to the present I-55 through truss -- it could (conceivably) be built adjacent and then used for both directions while the current bridge is revamped for 3 lanes in one direction, eliminating the need for a total bridge shutdown.  Been done elsewhere with reasonable success and could be worked into the Crump modification as necessary.   

The 2006 study included the existing I-55 bridge location as a potential corridor, but dropped it in the first round of corridor screening.  The reasons why it was dropped are unclear, but I believe contributing factors were that a parallel bridge to the north would be too close to the Frisco bridge, while a parallel bridge to the south would have parkland impacts.  The study did note that widening the existing I-55 bridge was deemed infeasible due to it's type of construction.

edwaleni

Caltrans was able to build a new Bay Bridge by putting the new one right next to the old one and building a temporary shoofly that took traffic over to the old span while the approaches were reconstructed. Once the new approaches were connected to the new span, the traffic was moved back over and the shoofly demolished.

bwana39

Quote from: edwaleni on July 12, 2021, 09:57:13 AM
Caltrans was able to build a new Bay Bridge by putting the new one right next to the old one and building a temporary shoofly that took traffic over to the old span while the approaches were reconstructed. Once the new approaches were connected to the new span, the traffic was moved back over and the shoofly demolished.

There were far more limiting factors in place for the Bay Bridge. A new routing would in Memphis would be less expensive, leave the existing bridge in place for local traffic, and simplify the routing for I-55. 

The Bay Bridge had a MUST exit point on the San Francisco side. It had to follow the same (basic) pattern through Yerba Buena island. These restrictions are not set in stone in Memphis or Northern  Mississippi. There is more than one possible passageway in Memphis. In San Francisco, there were no real alternatives.

Just reroute I-55  to cross the river farther south on a new easier routing.

edwaleni

Quote from: bwana39 on July 12, 2021, 10:45:41 AM

There were far more limiting factors in place for the Bay Bridge. A new routing would in Memphis would be less expensive, leave the existing bridge in place for local traffic, and simplify the routing for I-55. 

The Bay Bridge had a MUST exit point on the San Francisco side. It had to follow the same (basic) pattern through Yerba Buena island. These restrictions are not set in stone in Memphis or Northern Mississippi.

I agree on the Arkansas side of the river. It is the Memphis side that has a constrained exit point due to Crump Park.

TNDOT could do what Illinois did with the Musial/Veterans Bridge in St Louis, simply move I-70 upstream or in this case move I-55 downstream using the Incline Bayou over Jack Carley Causeway. The Memphis Port Commission already owns most of this land today.

This would return the Ark-Mem Bridge back to its original intent, a local traffic carry over for Crump Boulevard.

sparker

Quote from: edwaleni on July 12, 2021, 11:28:54 AM
Quote from: bwana39 on July 12, 2021, 10:45:41 AM

The Bay Bridge had a MUST exit point on the San Francisco side. It had to follow the same (basic) pattern through Yerba Buena island. These restrictions are not set in stone in Memphis or Northern Mississippi.

I agree on the Arkansas side of the river. It is the Memphis side that has a constrained exit point due to Crump Park.

TNDOT could do what Illinois did with the Musial/Veterans Bridge in St Louis, simply move I-70 upstream or in this case move I-55 downstream using the Incline Bayou over Jack Carley Causeway. The Memphis Port Commission already owns most of this land today.

This would return the Ark-Mem Bridge back to its original intent, a local traffic carry over for Crump Boulevard.

And the "sign salad" of the multiple US highways crossing the river there could once again become the bridge's mainstays once I-55 is elsewhere.  That was always an interesting and often fun aspect of Memphis' road network -- following the US highways across town, even with convoluted routings! 

US71

I-40 bridge may reopen this weekend eastbound with westbound opening a few days later.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

renegade

Oops.  Must be a bad link.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Thegeet

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.