News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What Signafies You Are on a Road Trip?

Started by ethanhopkin14, June 01, 2021, 04:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

What are the things that make you feel like you are on a road trip?  Is it the car packed with the wife and kid's pillows?  The fact you are in the car and everyone has their shoes off?  Maybe it's your choice of beverage or food at the time?  For me, it's stopping at a convenience store with a different name than the ones in my town (Alsups is one of them), seeing candy I have never seen before, or the 20 oz. Dr. Peppers out here are in a rounder bottle than back home (since Dr. Pepper has no national bottling contract).  I could drive the first 100 miles of a road trip for business and stop at the same convenience store and not have the same feeling, but if it is a part of a long road trip it has a different feeling. 

What are the signs that make you "feel" like you are truly on the road?  Sometimes it's a difference in the way the roads are constructed, signage differences (even though it takes forever to get out of Texas, the different districts do things so differently it feels like leaving the state when you still have hours to go) or even differences in the pavement (the rough grey of Western Texas, vs the red pavement of Far West and East Texas).

Roadgeekteen

Staying overnight anywhere. Also seeing a ton of luggage in the trunk.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Either it's overnight or my hiking bag is in my car. 

TheHighwayMan3561

It's usually when I reach the part of a familiar route number that I don't see very often.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Ned Weasel

Being more than a full day's drive away from home.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

TheGrassGuy

* Service areas
* Rest areas
* Paper maps
* Hotels, obviously
* Unfamiliar route numbers
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

CtrlAltDel

For me it's mostly a mindset thing, which at least for me, comes from a number of things, not necessarily independent:

Distance — the longer the better of course, but a day trip can be a road trip

Destination — if I'm going to be seeing or doing something more or less important or unique at the destination

Diversions — the more I'm going to see various sights along the way, the more I'll consider it a road trip

Duration — the longer I'm at my destination, the more likely I will consider it a road trip

Preparation — the longer it takes to get everything set, the more likely I'll consider it a road trip

Clinching — clinching a road is, on its own, a reason to consider a trip a road trip

Solitude — if I'm not traveling by myself, the vibe is different, and the more the other criteria need to apply

Traditions — for all "official" road trips, I take a set route I take to reach the first interstate, and I have a tendency to avoid shortcuts; I also celebrate in some way crossing state lines; I also usually make it a point to buy gas in each state except perhaps the beginning and ending state

Not all of these are necessary, of course, but the more there are the more I'll see it as a road trip.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

FrCorySticha

For me it's fairly simple: good music on the radio, lots of snacks and pops (or "sodas" for you heathens), and luggage in the back.

ari-s-drives

skluth

Any trip where I take my road atlas for directions rather than relying on the map in my head

SSOWorld

A drive other than the commute where I can play a lengthy playlist from my phone.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

allniter89

Crossing a state line.
Ice & pop in the cooler.
Reset the trip odometer b4 leaving our driveway. I like to see how far I drove on the roadtrip.
The need to check the atlas, driving unfamiliar hwys.
Possibly writing my route on paper.
I'm feeling the need for a roadtrip, probably to Mt Vernon, IL. I've driven this trip b4 but not often enough to be boring.
I was mulling a Mem Day roadtrip but then  :pan: :ded:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Rothman

Luggage in the back and the key in the ignition.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: skluth on June 01, 2021, 08:09:16 PM
Any trip where I take my road atlas for directions rather than relying on the map in my head
That would be very far for me. My head map + signs could probably get me to most major American cities.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

dlsterner

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2021, 10:44:34 PM
Quote from: skluth on June 01, 2021, 08:09:16 PM
That would be very far for me. My head map + signs could probably get me to most major American cities.
Sometimes the best road trips are to the more obscure places, rather than the "major" cities.  :nod:

GaryV

If you have to pack more than a lunch, it's a road trip.

1995hoo

Typically for me it's if I go beyond Richmond, Charlottesville, I-81, Frederick, or Annapolis.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

I think you can be on a road trip without staying overnight. Unless you want to classify "road trip" and "day trip" as two separate things.

jeffandnicole

For me, it mainly is doing something unusual. I can roadtrip in my own county for several hours. We drove from NJ to WV for a day trip...less than 3 hours each direction. Yet, I wouldn't consider NJ to Baltimore a road trip since I've done it often, even though I stay overnight there.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: FrCorySticha on June 01, 2021, 06:41:16 PM
For me it's fairly simple: good music on the radio, lots of snacks and pops (or "sodas" for you heathens), and luggage in the back.

Cokes in Texas.  To those who may not know, all carbonated soft drinks that people may call pops or sodas are called universally "cokes" in Texas.  It is not uncommon for the following exchange:

Person 1: "Hey do you want a coke?"

Person 2: "Yeah!"

Person 1: "Okay, what kind?"

Person 2: "Dr. Pepper."

Henry

Going through at least two or three states, depending on the length of the road in one of those states.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Anytime I drive from A to B convoluted and make loops or side road trips.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

I can't say I've ever seen the words "pop" or "soda" pluralized before this thread.  Do you guys refer to glasses of water as "waters" too?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Henry on June 02, 2021, 10:46:29 AM
Going through at least two or three states, depending on the length of the road in one of those states.
Doesn't work up here, I've been on day trips to southern Maine through 3 states and that's barely a road trip.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2021, 12:54:19 PM
I can't say I've ever seen the words "pop" or "soda" pluralized before this thread.  Do you guys refer to glasses of water as "waters" too?

I say waters for multiple bottles of water.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.