News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Partial Solar Eclipse June 10, 2021

Started by webny99, June 09, 2021, 04:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

A partial solar eclipse will be visible early tomorrow morning in much of the Northeastern US!
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2021-june-10

Does anyone have plans to see it? It's happening very close to sunrise, so it could be challenging to find a good viewing spot unless you're near the ocean (or in my case, near one of the Great Lakes).

hotdogPi

I wasn't even thinking about the issue of it being blocked by trees and/or houses. However, the top of a hill also works well, and my area has a decent number of hills.

This is the same link as what I posted in the Random Thoughts thread:

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/xSE_GoogleMap3.php?Ecl=+20210610&Acc=2&Umb=1&Lmt=1&Mag=0
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2021, 04:36:35 PM
A partial solar eclipse will be visible early tomorrow morning in much of the Northeastern US!

Does anyone have plans to see it? It's happening very close to sunrise, so it could be challenging to find a good viewing spot unless you're near the ocean (or in my case, near one of the Great Lakes).
My sleep schedule precludes me from seeing this. I like sleeping in.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 09, 2021, 04:39:43 PM

I do too, but I think it's worth getting up early as long as you know a good spot to see it. Anywhere that you could see the sunrise should work.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2021, 04:45:27 PM

I do too, but I think it's worth getting up early as long as you know a good spot to see it. Anywhere that you could see the sunrise should work.
Maybe. I don't really know where in Needham to see it, however.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 09, 2021, 04:47:12 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2021, 04:45:27 PM

Maybe. I don't really know where in Needham to see it, however.

Anywhere that has a clear view of the northeast. Like where WCVB is near I-95 on Highland Ave.

US 89

I am much too far southwest to see anything. Lame.

renegade

Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2021, 04:36:35 PM

I am usually awake at that hour, but not optimistic I'll be able to see it from my location.  If I were on the other side of Lake Superior, I'd probably have a better chance to view the eclipse.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

oscar

Here in the Washington D.C. area, the most we'll get is a partial eclipse. Haven't heard much local buzz about the eclipse (most local buzz is from cicadas, still going strong).

Like roadgeekteen, I'm really, really not a morning person. (Mercifully, the local cicadas seem to feel the same way.) Also, here I'd have to put in some work to find a place with an unobstructed view of the right part of the sky. Not worth it for just a partial eclipse.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SSOWorld

Partial?  Gotta work.  with meetings in the morning
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Quote from: renegade on June 09, 2021, 08:24:09 PM
I am usually awake at that hour, but not optimistic I'll be able to see it from my location.  If I were on the other side of Lake Superior, I'd probably have a better chance to view the eclipse.

In terms of the sun's location, the south/west sides of Lake Superior would probably be best, as the sun would be behind you on the Ontario side.

Rothman

Will be watching it from a roof in Syracuse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CNGL-Leudimin

Also visible on this side of the pond. The Sun is already high in the sky, so easier to see it. However where I am only about 11% of the Sun is being occultated by the Moon. Like in 2015 I'll be missing it.

BTW, it's actually an annular eclipse, not just partial. The ring will be visible through parts of Canada, Greenland, and far Eastern Russia.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

I looked, but I unfortunately didn't see anything. The pinhole in the box I made (it was a matzo box since they're on clearance after Passover) wasn't quite circular, so I was seeing the shape of the hole instead of the eclipse. There was a closed business that had reflective windows. It was just slightly too bright too look at normally (and when I did for about one second at a time, I didn't notice anything unusual), but it completely washed out the phone camera. It's too early in the morning for shadows to appear, which is how I saw the one in 2017.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

Got worried by some low clouds this morning, but saw it at about 80% here (the max for my town).  Got some lousy pictures, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on June 10, 2021, 07:11:09 AM
Got worried by some low clouds this morning, but saw it at about 80% here (the max for my town).  Got some lousy pictures, too.

Similar here. I had a nice view, but it is pretty challenging to nearly impossible to get good pictures without special cameras/equipment.

renegade

As expected, the eclipse was a total bust here.  Not a good view of the horizon at the hour it was visible.  By the time I saw the Sun in the sky, the event was over.

Next stop:  April 8, 2024.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.