News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that DON'T bother you

Started by webny99, June 09, 2021, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 10, 2021, 12:13:15 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on June 10, 2021, 07:08:32 AM
Out-of-tune musical instruments

You, sir, need to be a middle school band teacher.
I was in my high school orchestra for the first 3 years of high school, everyone sucked. There were two orchestras, a chamber one (which was better) and a normal one. In the normal one, nobody cared about their instrument and we sounded like shit.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kurumi

Get into microtonal music (Mercury Tree, King Gizzard, etc.) and it'll change your point of view. "Mary had a Little Lamb in 31edo, that's so avant garde"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on June 10, 2021, 12:18:43 PM

Get into microtonal music (Mercury Tree, King Gizzard, etc.) and it'll change your point of view. "Mary had a Little Lamb in 31edo, that's so avant garde"

Non-Western microtonal music = I'm totally down with that

Western music in non-12-TET = usually bad, unless the sound is distorted enough to mask the actual pitch
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 10, 2021, 09:33:24 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 10, 2021, 09:31:01 AM
Control cities where the interstate in question doesn't technically reach that location :popcorn:

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 10, 2021, 09:08:42 AM
  • Clearview
I know Highway Gothic is more popular and preferred over Clearview here, but people actually get bothered seeing a Clearview road sign?

Only in especially hideous instances.

But the same error gets made in Highway Gothic very frequently, so I have a hard time associating it with Clearview.  https://goo.gl/maps/4rqGJjWeKP5Wd8pn6

Yeah. Unfortunately KCK seems to have adopted the 3/4 error as standard practice now that mixed-case signage is mandatory. It's a massive let-down, considering that their all-caps style was one of my favorite blade sign designs of all time.

J.N. Winkler and I submitted comments speaking out about the 3/4 error for the MUTCD 11e, so hopefully FHWA will clarify that portion of the manual.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

km-posts that aren't exactly 1000 meters apart. In fact I enjoy measuring them again and again.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CoreySamson

- These shields that everyone here seems to hate.

- When other drivers do stupid things. I tend to just laugh it off.

- Left exits.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

andrepoiy

The United States.

In Canadian media, and amongst people (at least in my age group), there seems to be a general dislike of the US, constant US-bashing, portraying the US as a third-world-country, "Canada is so much better than the US in X category", etc.

I don't know why this is, but I am not bothered by the US as my peers, in fact, I love the country (but I won't say that to them or else I'll get cancelled)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: andrepoiy on June 11, 2021, 06:07:49 PM
The United States.

In Canadian media, and amongst people (at least in my age group), there seems to be a general dislike of the US, constant US-bashing, portraying the US as a third-world-country, "Canada is so much better than the US in X category", etc.

I don't know why this is, but I am not bothered by the US as my peers, in fact, I love the country (but I won't say that to them or else I'll get cancelled)
It's the little brother mentality. Also one of our leaders that shall not be named didn't help either...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

The United States.

Part of that may be because Canada is measurably better than the US in a number of ways... The US isn't the worst place in the world, by far. But where the will exists, it's not very hard to improve on our system, either, and Canada has done so in a fair number of areas.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 11, 2021, 07:09:35 PM
The United States.

Part of that may be because Canada is measurably better than the US in a number of ways... The US isn't the worst place in the world, by far. But where the will exists, it's not very hard to improve on our system, either, and Canada has done so in a fair number of areas.

The sad reality is the reason we don't have things like the metric system is Americans are too lazy to learn something new.  Lots of other things to like about Canada too.

TheHighwayMan3561

The United States.

However, the moral superiority they display in some decidedly less rosy metrics that they like to think they are better than us on but are firmly equal with us on (racism, indigenous relations) has come to grate on me. You're just as horrible at those things as we are. Shut up.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on June 11, 2021, 07:16:43 PM
The United States.

The sad reality is the reason we don't have things like the metric system is Americans are too lazy to learn something new.  Lots of other things to like about Canada too.

The metric system is whatever. Canada does very well on various quality-of-life issues due to simply prioritizing other things as a country than the US does. But, as TheHighwayMan394 notes, that isn't true for all things.

Roadgeekteen

It's simple: Canada does some things better than the US and the US does other things better than Canada.

andrepoiy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 11, 2021, 07:17:50 PM
The United States.

However, the moral superiority they display in some decidedly less rosy metrics that they like to think they are better than us on but are firmly equal with us on (racism, indigenous relations) has come to grate on me. You're just as horrible at those things as we are. Shut up.

I completely agree with you.

kphoger

Also, racism in both the USA and Canada is loads better than in many other countries.

Here's another minor thing that doesn't bother me:  Pepsi instead of Coke, or Mr Pibb instead of Dr Pepper, or anything like that.  Seriously, if those differences are something you can't tolerate, than you're just a soda pop snob.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on June 11, 2021, 08:12:47 PM
Also, racism in both the USA and Canada is loads better than in many other countries.

Here's another minor thing that doesn't bother me:  Pepsi instead of Coke, or Mr Pibb instead of Dr Pepper, or anything like that.  Seriously, if those differences are something you can't tolerate, than you're just a soda pop snob.

Guilty. Though beer all tastes about the same to me.  Do hundreds of beers really taste all that different?

TheHighwayMan3561

waits for SP Cook to arrive to remind us of his declaration of Pepsi as mankind's worst ever invention

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Pibb and Dr Pepper are close enough to me that I don't notice a difference (I do notice a difference between Mountain Dew and Mello Yello but don't care), but Coke and Pepsi are different enough that I don't really care for Pepsi. If Pepsi is offered, I just go with Mountain Dew instead.

roadman65

Quote from: texaskdog on June 11, 2021, 07:16:43 PM
The United States.

The use of Dollar coins and two dollar bills.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on June 12, 2021, 10:27:35 AM
The use of Dollar coins and two dollar bills.

Canada no longer uses $2 bills – they use $2 coins now. Their lowest bill in current use is $5.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

Yup, but we don't use either.

Also I like Canada that they have more than two parties unlike our country.  Having more choices to represent all parts of the spectrum unlike us who have only two which makes those in the middle in an awkward position. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 11, 2021, 09:04:34 PM

waits for SP Cook to arrive to remind us of his declaration of Pepsi as mankind's worst ever invention

If only we had a similarly-titled thread for that...

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 11, 2021, 07:17:50 PM
The United States.

While I haven't been able to visit Canada for work for almost 24 months, usually they're more curious than "bashing" of US culture.

The only ignorance I encounter is that they think a human will automatically die inside a US emergency room if they forgot their wallet.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on June 12, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
Yup, but we don't use either.

Also I like Canada that they have more than two parties unlike our country.  Having more choices to represent all parts of the spectrum unlike us who have only two which makes those in the middle in an awkward position.
Most everyone agrees that more parties would be good.

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 12, 2021, 03:03:16 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 12, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
Yup, but we don’t use either.

Most everyone agrees that more parties would be good.

That's why the two parties work hard against any third party candidate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.