News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

JRCP: Which agencies used it, and what's still around?

Started by Crown Victoria, September 05, 2021, 12:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crown Victoria

As we all know, road construction practices have changed over the years. Many DOTs and other agencies used Jointed Reinforced Concrete Pavement to construct the Interstate Highways and other roads, but nowadays JRCP has fallen out of favor. Jointed Plain Concrete (JPCP) and Continuously Reinforced Concrete (CRCP) are preferred for various reasons, cost and longevity being the main two.

A few questions:

-Which states have historically used JRCP? (Most of the Northeast and Midwest states used it, but what about the South or the West?)
-Was it limited to freeways, or did surface roads use it too?
-Was it the only option for use, or were there alternatives at that time?
-Do any agencies currently construct it?
-How much is still in use, whether overlain with asphalt or not? (Exact mileage is not necessary, just a reasonable estimate)
-What other details are of note, such as joint spacing?

I'll start the discussion with my home state, Pennsylvania, which made very heavy use of JRCP on its Interstates, the PA Turnpike, and even many of our primary and secondary surface roads. While PA still loves concrete roads, the main option nowadays is JPCP.

snowc

Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 05, 2021, 12:24:42 PM
As we all know, road construction practices have changed over the years. Many DOTs and other agencies used Jointed Reinforced Concrete Pavement to construct the Interstate Highways and other roads, but nowadays JRCP has fallen out of favor. Jointed Plain Concrete (JPCP) and Continuously Reinforced Concrete (CRCP) are preferred for various reasons, cost and longevity being the main two.

A few questions:

-Which states have historically used JRCP? (Most of the Northeast and Midwest states used it, but what about the South or the West?)
-How much is still in use, whether overlain with asphalt or not? (Exact mileage is not necessary, just a reasonable estimate)

I'll start the discussion with my home state, Pennsylvania, which made very heavy use of JRCP on its Interstates, the PA Turnpike, and even many of our primary and secondary surface roads. While PA still loves concrete roads, the main option nowadays is JPCP.
I81 uses this from a small stretch near PA 997 near Shippensburg and goes all the way to the Cumberland Cty Line.
I99 uses this also, but more LOUDER than I81.
US 29 near Lynchburg VA uses the same pavement type as I81
I86 in NY uses this pavement also.
Also used on Eastbound lanes of NC 540 in Durham NC.
Used on I540 and I87 between exits 20-26 and also on exits 3-9 of i87
Gettysburg Bypass between MD/PA all the way to PA 94.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: snowc on September 05, 2021, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 05, 2021, 12:24:42 PM

A few questions:

I81 uses this from a small stretch near PA 997 near Shippensburg and goes all the way to the Cumberland Cty Line.
I99 uses this also, but more LOUDER than I81.
US 29 near Lynchburg VA uses the same pavement type as I81
I86 in NY uses this pavement also.
Also used on Eastbound lanes of NC 540 in Durham NC.
Used on I540 and I87 between exits 20-26 and also on exits 3-9 of i87
Gettysburg Bypass between MD/PA all the way to PA 94.

That stretch of I-81 near Shippensburg and the concrete sections of I-99 around State College are JPCP, having been built in the last 20 years or so. I suspect many of your other examples are also JPCP.

An easy way to tell the difference between JRCP and JPCP is the joint spacing, most commonly 60 feet for the former, and 10-15 feet for the latter.

If you happen to see the roadway during its initial construction, JRCP will have steel reinforcement, whereas JPCP will only have dowel bars at the joints. The steel reinforcement allowed the greater joint spacing for JRCP.

Here's a link to PennDOT's Pavement History page: https://gis.penndot.gov/PavementHistory/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.