News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp down

Started by Roadgeekteen, October 04, 2021, 06:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Did any of you have problems with those 3 this afternoon? And is it back for you guys?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

They're back.  They were down worldwide for a few hours.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

Yeah it was down for awhile. But it's back up.

NWI_Irish96

I don't use the other two, but my Facebook feed has no posts between about 11am and 5pm CT.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kevinb1994

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 04, 2021, 06:56:36 PM
I don't use the other two, but my Facebook feed has no posts between about 11am and 5pm CT.
Yeah I can say that there was a total lack of posts between lunch and dinner.

kevinb1994

To pass the time, I was on Discord.

That's where I learned that FB was back up and running.

Max Rockatansky

And the world kept moving forward, imagine that.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2021, 07:10:49 PM
Indeed. And the band played on.

Scott5114

Irritating that it happened to go down the one day that I needed to get in touch with someone through Messenger.

Apparently it went down way harder than a usual website outage. Sysadmins couldn't even get in the building to diagnose the problem because the badge scanners that unlocked the doors weren't working either.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Initial news reports stated that Amazon was down, too, but Amazon came back up long before Facebook did. (I don't use Instagram or WhatsApp). There were also sporadic reports of issues with Twitter and Gmail.

The Facebook outage has been blamed on hackers, some sort of update that went awry, and an intentional outage to get rid of evidence because of some kind of congressional testimony about FB that was to take place today.

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 04, 2021, 08:36:50 PM
Didn't notice.

I was working

Well, since part of my job duties involve administering a Facebook account, I noticed. Thankfully I didn't have any major updates to post while the service was down.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on October 04, 2021, 08:39:50 PM
Initial news reports stated that Amazon was down, too, but Amazon came back up long before Facebook did. (I don't use Instagram or WhatsApp). There were also sporadic reports of issues with Twitter and Gmail.

Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp are all the same company. Amazon, Twitter, and Gmail are not owned by Facebook.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1 on October 04, 2021, 08:43:52 PM
Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp are all the same company. Amazon, Twitter, and Gmail are not owned by Facebook.

I have had no issues with Gmail whatsoever.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

webny99

Yes, had issues with the latter but it's back up now.

kurumi

Apparently FB ate so much of its own dogfood that:
* they could not reissue BGP directives that would undo the initial screwup that took FB offline
* corporate communication tools were down
* badges and keycards didn't work
* the ops guys had to use an angle grinder to get into the server cage and restart the server: that story (tweet) was retracted
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on October 04, 2021, 08:43:52 PM

HB seems to have had some issue with mingling some facts with jokes that were going around.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 04, 2021, 07:13:48 PM

Did it though?  The impression I get from about 70% of people I know was that the world was burning down.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2021, 10:43:45 PM

Did it though?  The impression I get from about 70% of people I know was that the world was burning down.
For many people Facebook is the whole internet, especially in many foreign countries.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2021, 11:12:04 PM

For many people Facebook is the whole internet, especially in many foreign countries.

Kind of seems like a problem to have so much time monopolized online much less a single corporate webpage umbrella.  I didn't even notice there was a problem until my lunch at work when I tried to check the Gribblenation Facebook page.

bing101

Facebook is the whole internet??? Anybody heard of WordPress, neocities, Joomla, Wix, Weebly, Blogspot? That is insane to think the whole internet is Facebook owned servers or Twitter owned servers or Tik tok owned servers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on October 04, 2021, 11:38:30 PM

Facebook is the whole internet??? Anybody heard of WordPress, neocities, Joomla, Wix, Weebly, Blogspot? That is insane to think the whole internet is Facebook owned servers or Twitter owned servers or Tik tok owned servers.

Might be that way to the overwhelming majority of people under 30.

index

I didn't know until now, but I heard Zuck managed to lose 7 billion dollars from it. That's not nearly enough down the drain, but it served well to brighten my day nonetheless.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2021, 11:41:33 PM

Obvious joke, not taking it literally, but just as an actual point of discussion, in my experience, almost nobody my age actually uses Facebook. My brothers that are just 6 years older than me do, but the younger you get from that the more it drops off like a rock.

I was pressured into signing up for an account twice, once last month, and once several years ago, to keep in touch with people, but both times I ended up never using it and eventually deleting it. I only ever keep in touch with people by texting them and it'll probably stay that way.

Tik Tok, on the other hand, yes, it seems like everyone my age uses it but me. Sometimes others will act surprised when I say I don't use it. I don't not use it to be "different" or "not like the other kiddos" but it's just not my thing. I tried it and while some of the stuff was entertaining and kind of interesting, it wasn't really my kind of format.

Twitter though works for me, along with Reddit and Discord. I prefer discussion-based stuff. Although in my experience, having been on Reddit since 2012 or so, almost everyone there is an idiot. They think they're special and unique, and part of some secret exclusive club for using it, and it's been like that for the whole time the site's been around. Terrible sense of humor. Twitter is annoying but not nearly as bad, and I only use Discord to keep in touch with people in small groups, I hate all the public-facing stuff. Not my kind of thing.

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Roadgeekteen

Not really everyone, but especially in other countries many businesses depend on facebook and in some places, WhatsApp has replaced texting.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2021, 11:41:33 PM

I remember when AOL was Big Tech in the early 2000's and they fell down to the point that they became a brand within Yahoo as of 2021.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.