Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 03, 2021, 06:18:04 PM
Quote from: ITB on May 03, 2021, 06:12:44 PM
For those not familiar with the Dixie Highway, it was one of the first interstate road systems in the United States, connecting the upper Midwest to the South, particularly the state of Florida. It was not a single road, but a network, with eastern and western branches, and connector roads between the two. The western branch of the Highway went through Indiana, passing through Indianapolis, and thence south through Martinsville, Bloomington, Bedford and Paoli, where it shifted southeast to continue on to Louisville.
This is new to me. I didn't know that the Dixie Highway was a network of roads, and went through Indiana. Thought it was a single road from Florida to Michigan that is roughly paralleled by I-75 today.

IN 933 north from Douglas Rd up to the state line is known as Dixie Way.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SkyPesos

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 04, 2021, 06:54:22 AM
For those not familiar with the Dixie Highway, it was one of the first interstate road systems in the United States, connecting the upper Midwest to the South, particularly the state of Florida. It was not a single road, but a network, with eastern and western branches, and connector roads between the two. The western branch of the Highway went through Indiana, passing through Indianapolis, and thence south through Martinsville, Bloomington, Bedford and Paoli, where it shifted southeast to continue on to Louisville.
This is new to me. I didn't know that the Dixie Highway was a network of roads, and went through Indiana. Thought it was a single road from Florida to Michigan that is roughly paralleled by I-75 today.

Yea that's one branch of it.
I only knew that US 25 (predecessor of I-75 in the Midwest) have the Dixie Hwy, Dixie Way, etc road name.

edwaleni

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 04, 2021, 07:21:45 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 04, 2021, 06:54:22 AM

Yea that's one branch of it.
I only knew that US 25 (predecessor of I-75 in the Midwest) have the Dixie Hwy, Dixie Way, etc road name.

Unfortunately as roads went back in the early days, quite a few jurisdictions claimed to be along the Dixie Highway.

ITB

Yesterday, as well as the day before, I drove up to Martinsville and points north for a look-see. There has been significant construction progress that is readily evident to the eye. Each of the southbound bridges that are either being replaced or rehabbed between State Road 144 and Martinsville now have beams in place. Paving has commenced, too, in the vicinity of Waverly, a little south of SR 144. All of the overpasses and interchanges in Martinsville are now under construction as well. Beams for the northbound bridge over Indian Creek south of Martinsville are expected to be placed next week.

Before I post some pictures, a few words about the detour. As expected, some significant backups are now occurring with the increased traffic of spring. On Friday afternoon, the northbound lanes of I-69 were nearly backed up to the Liberty Church Road interchange. It was slow crawl moving toward Morton Ave./SR 39, and it didn't ease up at all in Martinsville proper, and, if fact, it might have been even slower. Could be we'll be looking at a rough summer and fall as recreational traffic to Brown County and the lakes of Monroe County increases, and Indiana University fully reopens. To be sure, the detour is workable, but it's going to try the patience of many drivers. I strongly suggest being tanked up, as the detour can chew up a lot of time and fuel. For those who haven't planned, there are, fortunately, several service stations along Morton Avenue and SR 39 in Martinsville.

Let's go the pictures. I've took a bunch from several locations, so I'll post them piecemeal over the next few days. The first batch of photos were taken Friday, May 7, 2021, unless otherwise noted. To expand the pictures, Right Click, or whatever works best with your browser.

If you rather not wait to see the photos, check out my Flickr page here.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Morgan County

Looking north toward the northern closure point of State Road 37 on the outskirts of Martinsville. Due to an unexpected rain cell, the work day has been called off, but it around 5 pm anyway.

Closer look. The road on the right is Twin Branch Road, which currently has access points at both State Road 37 and State Road 44, just to the south. When I-69 completes, Twin Branch Road will deadend at a turnaround at the bottom of the hill (visible in the background).

Construction of the I-69 mainline just north of Martinsville; looking south. In the background are the recently placed beams for the State Road 44 overpass.

Another look south toward the SR 44 overpass.

Looking west from the Waverly Road overpass in Morgan County toward State Road 37 and construction of the I-69's southbound roadway. Asphalt paving recently commenced in this area. As the rain began to fall, the paving operation (pictured in the deep background) was already wrapping up, with the rollers doing their final compression passes. The crew had obviously been given a heads up that rain was anticipated.

More to come.

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on May 09, 2021, 04:26:40 PM

..........As expected, some significant backups are now occurring with the increased traffic of spring. On Friday afternoon, the northbound lanes of I-69 were nearly backed up to the Liberty Church Road interchange. It was slow crawl moving toward Morton Ave./SR 39, and it didn't ease up at all in Martinsville proper, and, if fact, it might have been even slower. Could be we'll be looking at a rough summer and fall as recreational traffic to Brown County and the lakes of Monroe County increases, and Indiana University fully reopens. To be sure, the detour is workable, but it's going to try the patience of many drivers. I strongly suggest being tanked up, as the detour can chew up a lot of time and fuel. For those who haven't planned, there are, fortunately, several service stations along Morton Avenue and SR 39 in Martinsville.

Can't say this wasn't unexpected.

The bypass traffic isn't taking IN-67, they are taking IN-39 to I-70. Backups south of the exit ramps are running about 2 miles.

ITB

More pictures. Photos were taken Saturday, May 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1, aka Martinsville Segment

The future on-ramp to I-69 southbound from Hospital Dr./SR 252 in Martinsville; looking slightly southeast. In the background is the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass.

Closer look.

Pilings for I-69 mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr.; looking south.

The southern abutment for the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr.; looking southeast.

Closer look. Because of the slope, EPS Geofoam blocks are being used as the abutment's backfill instead of gravel. The use of EPS (expanded polystyrene) Geofoam in bridge construction is gaining traction in the U.S., but this might be a first in Indiana. Interested in knowing more about EPS Geofoam, click here and here.

Another look of the pilings, and closed SR 37 in the background; looking south.

State Road 252/Hospital Dr. will remain fully open during all phases of construction in Martinsville; looking east. There will be, of course, short temporary closures, when the bridge beams are placed over the road.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: edwaleni on May 10, 2021, 10:50:47 AM

..........As expected, some significant backups are now occurring with the increased traffic of spring. On Friday afternoon, the northbound lanes of I-69 were nearly backed up to the Liberty Church Road interchange. It was slow crawl moving toward Morton Ave./SR 39, and it didn't ease up at all in Martinsville proper, and, if fact, it might have been even slower. Could be we'll be looking at a rough summer and fall as recreational traffic to Brown County and the lakes of Monroe County increases, and Indiana University fully reopens. To be sure, the detour is workable, but it's going to try the patience of many drivers. I strongly suggest being tanked up, as the detour can chew up a lot of time and fuel. For those who haven't planned, there are, fortunately, several service stations along Morton Avenue and SR 39 in Martinsville.

The bypass traffic isn't taking IN-67, they are taking IN-39 to I-70. Backups south of the exit ramps are running about 2 miles.

Semis are definitely taking IN-67 though, loads of semis going from IN-39 to I-465. They need to make IN-67 like IN-135 is near Greenwood.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Scott5114

Have to say, introducing giant blocks of plastic foam to the ecosystem by burying them under a bridge abutment doesn't seem like the wisest thing to do long-term. Who knows where that plastic will go should it degrade.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

edwaleni

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 10, 2021, 11:30:40 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 10, 2021, 10:50:47 AM

Semis are definitely taking IN-67 though, loads of semis going from IN-39 to I-465. They need to make IN-67 like IN-135 is near Greenwood.

The backups on the northbound side of IN-37 south of I-70 start around 9-9:30AM. Yesterday the backup reached Keller Hill Road by 11AM-12Noon.

Can't cut through Mooresville. The IN-42 bridge over White Lick Creek is closed.

ITB

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2021, 03:28:27 AM
Have to say, introducing giant blocks of plastic foam to the ecosystem by burying them under a bridge abutment doesn't seem like the wisest thing to do long-term. Who knows where that plastic will go should it degrade.

EPS Geofoam has been around a while now, much longer than I initially thought. It was first used in Norway in 1972. Aside from embankment and bridge support, the material has numerous other uses, such as framing and supporting rooftop pools of apartment buildings and hotels and covering pipelines to protect against degradation of the pipe. I'm no engineer, but if I had to guess, the material probably degrades at such a slow rate that it's environmental impact is minimal.

The material was used in the reconstruction of I-15 in Utah, and pictures of that work can be seen here. More info about EPS Geofoam from the EPS Geofoam Consortium can be found here.

ITB

Another batch of pictures. Photos were taken Saturday, May 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted. For closer looks just expand the photos; Right Click, or whatever works best with your browser.

The Egbert Road overpass and future southbound lanes of I-69 in Morgan County, about four miles north of Martinsville; looking south.

Closer look. In the background, a tiny patch of coated rebar (green) indicates the new, replacement bridge over Clear Creek.

In the other direction, looking north, construction of the bridge that will carry the southbound lanes over the dry swale continues.

Closer view of the dry swale bridge work; looking north.

A pump was in operation removing water from a cofferdam.

The water from the cofferdam was being pumped into this large bladder (fabric?), which was slowly oozing water from its top. I've never seen such a bladder in use, but I imagine its purpose was to filter fine sediments from the water. If that's not accurate, please chime in.

Long range view looking northeast toward the dry swale work zone.

Another close up perspective; looking north. Note how much higher the roadway for I-69 will be compared to State Road 37.

zzcarp

Quote from: ITB on May 11, 2021, 02:46:15 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2021, 03:28:27 AM

EPS Geofoam has been around a while now, much longer than I initially thought. It was first used in Norway in 1972. Aside from embankment and bridge support, the material has numerous other uses, such as framing and supporting rooftop pools of apartment buildings and hotels and covering pipelines to protect against degradation of the pipe. I'm no engineer, but if I had to guess, the material probably degrades at such a slow rate that it's environmental impact is minimal.

The material was used in the reconstruction of I-15 in Utah, and pictures of that work can be seen here. More info about EPS Geofoam from the EPS Geofoam Consortium can be found here.

They used geofoam here in Colorado on the US 36 freeway when a retaining wall failed due to shifting soils and groundwater behind the wall. The lighter material kept up the required bearing strength without adding the additional weight that caused the wall failure.
So many miles and so many roads

csw

Quote from: ITB on May 11, 2021, 03:36:30 PM
The water from the cofferdam was being pumped into this large bladder (fabric?), which was slowly oozing water from its top. I've never seen such a bladder in use, but I imagine its purpose was to filter fine sediments from the water. If that's not accurate, please chime in.
That is exactly what it is, although if it's leaking water, then it either needs replacing or was poorly designed...

vtk

I've seen a bladder like that on a worksite, before. It also oozed water through its porous top, and I'm pretty sure that's by design.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bmeiser

Can we all agree to not use the word "ooze"  anymore?

edwaleni

Quote from: vtk on May 12, 2021, 09:30:18 AM
I've seen a bladder like that on a worksite, before. It also oozed water through its porous top, and I'm pretty sure that's by design.

I have also seen bladders like that walk into the local truck stop and I can tell you it wasn't water oozing out and it definitely was by design.  :-D

ITB

More pictures. Photos were taken Saturday, May 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Long range shot looking west toward the Henderson Ford Road overpass and future interchange. On the left is the recently completely extension of New Harmony Road. The cross street at the stop sign is Ennis Road.

Construction of the new bridge that will carry the southbound lanes over Stotts Creek in Morgan County; looking northeast. This location is about one mile north of the Henderson Ford Road overpass.

Another view. Somebody else is getting a pretty good look, too.

Recently completed bridge that carries New Harmony Road over Stotts Creek; looking southeast.

Looking east from the Perry Road overpass. In the background, work to rehab the southbound bridge over Crooked Creek continues. The Perry Road overpass is about one and half miles north of Stotts Creek.

Closer view. I have little idea when this section of State Road 37 was constructed with concrete, but guessing, it might have been in the 1970s or 80s. Later, at some point, an asphalt overlay was put down, and now, that's been milled off.

Staging area near the Perry Road overpass; looking southwest.

The Perry Road overpass which was completed and opened last year; looking southeast. Note the large culvert at the edge of the catchment basin.

The other end of the catchment basin with tubes for overflow drainage; looking southwest.

Another perspective looking east from the Perry Road overpass.

Closer look at the Stotts Creek bridge work; looking northeast.

OCGuy81

Wow, great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Life in Paradise

Just amazed at the speed of which this phase is going compared to the Bloomington to Martinsville phase which had the speed of congealed molasses dripping from a pitcher.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 14, 2021, 01:33:22 PM
Just amazed at the speed of which this phase is going compared to the Bloomington to Martinsville phase which had the speed of congealed molasses dripping from a pitcher.
The Bloomington-Martinsville segment was a great example of what happens when you award the job to a contractor who severely low-balled their bid to the point where they ran out of money midway through construction.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

westerninterloper

Quote from: abqtraveler on May 14, 2021, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 14, 2021, 01:33:22 PM
The Bloomington-Martinsville segment was a great example of what happens when you award the job to a contractor who severely low-balled their bid to the point where they ran out of money midway through construction.

That goes back to the Daniels administration's approach of privatizing everything and doing things on the cheap. The ITR lease and the Bloomington-Martinsville I-69 construction were two failures of that approach the public felt. I think the improvements in construction on this section are a result of a change under the current governor. Daniels is now doing this at Purdue; buying Kaplan and squeezing tuition money out of students for online degrees that few students finish to keep the traditional campus afloat.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

edwaleni

From Stotts Creek north to about MP 130, on the west side of IN-37 are the remains of the Central Canal in Washington Township. This part was never watered or had locks, but had been dug out before the state went bankrupt and construction ended in 1837. It also cut though a bend in the White River just north of Stotts Creek.

When the modern version IN-37 was built in the late 1950's that brief part north of the river bend became a drainage ditch to the White River, but it appears the work for I-69 will wipe that out completely.

Several historians on Indiana History came down and took several pictures of where the canal had been dug just prior to the I-69 work starting.

It was originally supposed to hook up with the digging taking place in Port Royal (gone) & Waverly and connect with the Central Canal of Indianapolis. But the Indianapolis Section only got as far as Raymond Street.

The Waverly-Port Royal section also ceased digging in 1837.

Interesting is that today I-69 will pretty much duplicate the route of the Central Canal as envisioned in the 1830's by Indiana leadership.

When the canal was restarted by the state in 1850, they abandoned the Central Canal concept and focused on the Cross Cut Canal from Terre Haute to Worthington which became part of the Wabash & Erie Canal.

I-69 crosses the ROW of the Wabash & Erie south of the Patoka River and north of Pigeon Creek. But this will be its only brush with the former Central.

ITB

A few more pictures. Best to get them posted before they become stale. Photos were taken Saturday, May 8, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking slightly southwest from the Waverly Road overpass in northern Morgan County. Mainline paving recently commenced in this vicinity with crews putting down a hot-mix asphalt overlay on top of an already present concrete base, which had been deemed structurally sound, and thus, reusable.

The other direction, looking slightly northeast, from the Waverly Road overpass.

Different perspective, looking northeast.

Another look west from the overpass. I imagine two layers of asphalt will be put down, maybe even three.

Looking north toward SR 37 and the construction of the Teeters Road overpass from near the northern closure point of SR 37, just north of Martinsville. At this point, southbound SR 37 traffic must either turn right on Morgan Street (pictured, foreground), or left on Twin Branch Road. The road pictured in the background left-center is a section of the recently built extension of Morgan Street/Old SR 37. Next year, the overpass for Myra Lane will be constructed near the crest of the hill.

The view in the other direction, looking slightly southwest from near the northern closure point of SR 37 at Morgan Street. The road pictured in the background is Twin Branch Road, which further south intersects with SR 44.

Another perspective looking north toward the construction of the Teeters Road overpass. The road in the foreground is Morgan Street.

[/url]
Long range shot; looking north.

Another look west from the Waverly Road overpass.

ibthebigd

ITB will you be doing pictures for the North Split construction?

SM-G950U

silverback1065

Quote from: ibthebigd on May 20, 2021, 08:12:29 AM
ITB will you be doing pictures for the North Split construction?

SM-G950U

be careful if you do, they're doing a lot of demo right now, drove by this morning and the vermont st bridge is almost gone! the pavement has been rubblized too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.