News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highway Classification Abbreviations

Started by Brian556, January 03, 2012, 07:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: Brian556 on January 03, 2012, 07:14:36 PM
In Texas they are as follows:
IH-Interstate Highway (TxDOT uses "IH"; most cities use "I" )
US-US Highway
SH-State Highway
FM-Farm To Market Road ("FR" was formerly used, have seen it on a few old signs)

TxDOT uses the "IH" on it's signal-mounted street name signs. I think the reason is that on TxDOT doccuments there is a two-letter classification of each highway type.

Does any other state use "IH"?
In Texas, State highways are "SH". What, if any, other states use "SH" vs "SR"

Concerning the "FR", I saw that abbreviation on a "LOAD ZONED BRIDGE XX MILES AHEAD..." sign that we replaced in the mid 2000's. I also saw it on a few on Krum's street name blades. I think those don't exixt anymore

Don't forget that in West Texas, they use RM instead of FM (Ranch-to-market).

Florida uses I-95, US-1, SR-528 (state road), and CR-507 (county road).

Interestingly, county maintained toll freeways like the 408 in Orlando are given state highway designations even though they're county owned and maintained.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 05, 2012, 05:06:51 PMI don't really know why some junctions are wyes and some are T's...

Back in the 1930's there was a theory (not exploded until the 1950's, I think) that wye configurations improved safety by separating conflict points.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SkyPesos

Sorry for the bump...

Adding on, for the states that use SR, which states use it as an abbreviation for "State Route", and which for "State Road"? I know Ohio's SR is for "State Route", while Indiana's is "State Road", but how about some other states?

froggie

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on August 30, 2021, 09:26:06 PM
^ "Secondary Route" in Virginia.

I would have mentioned it myself if not for this:

Quote from: index on May 09, 2021, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 09, 2021, 08:35:24 PM
Quote from: index on May 09, 2021, 08:34:27 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 09, 2021, 07:02:15 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 09, 2021, 06:37:26 PM
PA actually uses SR on its small indicator signs.

Doesn't that stand for secondary route, though?
This map is for primary state highways, so secondary ones wouldn't count.

VA needs to have its red removed, then – SR definitely means secondary route there.
Virginia uses SR for primary routes as well, according to the abbreviations on Wikipedia. VA xx is less common. It's just a blanket designation, I don't believe it actually serves to distinguish anything.

Edit: I somehow removed one of the quoted posts in this by mistake. Oops. Anyways, the route referenced there (420) is a primary one. If this is common I'll have to update the map. Or not. I didn't make it to be actually used, only out of boredom.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US 89

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 30, 2021, 03:18:40 PM
Sorry for the bump...

Adding on, for the states that use SR, which states use it as an abbreviation for "State Route", and which for "State Road"? I know Ohio's SR is for "State Route", while Indiana's is "State Road", but how about some other states?

State Road is pretty rare I think. Florida comes to mind off the top of my head. New Mexico is also officially a State Road state, but they use NM xx for them rather than SR xx.

froggie

^^ General parlance in Virginia is that SR refers to the secondary routes while primary routes are simply "Route xx".  "VA xx" is uncommon but not unheard of.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.