News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

After they finished the MN 101/141st Ave interchange in Rogers they placed a "Speed Limit 45 Ahead" yellow diamond sign on the southbound side even though the speed limit is 40 around the I-94 interchange. The warning sign still says 45 and the speed limit is still 40 in that area and this error has remained for several months.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheHighwayMan3561

MNDot cranking up the speed limits on significant portions of MN 23, MN 55, and US 212 among others. Chart also lists future speed studies for other routes for the next few years.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/govrel/reports/2015/2015-Evaluation-of-Certain-Speed-Limits-report.pdf

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 26, 2015, 05:08:49 PM
After they finished the MN 101/141st Ave interchange in Rogers they placed a "Speed Limit 45 Ahead" yellow diamond sign on the southbound side even though the speed limit is 40 around the I-94 interchange. The warning sign still says 45 and the speed limit is still 40 in that area and this error has remained for several months.

I plan to go take a few photos of this new interchange soon. The work on the 610 extension is supposed to start significant construction this summer as well
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

texaskdog

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on March 25, 2015, 10:05:12 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 26, 2015, 05:08:49 PM

I plan to go take a few photos of this new interchange soon. The work on the 610 extension is supposed to start significant construction this summer as well

which started 30 years ago

TheHighwayMan3561

MNDot working on rebuilding MN 101 between old US 212 and the Minnesota River Bridge. When this is done will Carver County finally accept this section for turnback? I think it's one of three separate sections of MN 101 in Carver County that the county has not accepted yet.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy101river/index.html

Looking at GSV it appears more of the section south of US 212 has been turned back; the state section picks up again at Pioneer Trail.

Molandfreak

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 27, 2015, 07:26:19 PM
MNDot working on rebuilding MN 101 between old US 212 and the Minnesota River Bridge. When this is done will Carver County finally accept this section for turnback? I think it's one of three separate sections of MN 101 in Carver County that the county has not accepted yet.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy101river/index.html

Looking at GSV it appears more of the section south of US 212 has been turned back; the state section picks up again at Pioneer Trail.
Yep, Carver County appears to want the entire thing four-laned before they'll take it. The section between Pioneer Trail and old 212 would probably require some straightening to bring it to the standard they want, but the rich NIMBYs in the area will likely put an end to that. On another subject, 101 north of MN 5 is absolutely dreadful, and the county is right to wait for improvements to be made. But that area will be much worse in terms of NIMBYism, so there probably won't be anything done for a long time there. That's a shame, because it effectively dumps both 101 and Crosstown traffic onto a two-lane road with no shoulders. :no:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

texaskdog

yet the part north is not being designed to connect up.  whats wrong with a 4-way traffic light?

froggie

Topography of the river bluff prevents a direct at-grade connection.  An interchange (with 101 bridging over old 212) was considered, but would've been a lot more expensive and eaten up more river valley wetlands to the south.

TheHighwayMan3561

St. Louis County to pump $119M into its county highway system over the next two years. Sales tax increases and a fee tacked onto car sales will fund the improvements.

https://www.stlouiscountymn.gov/GOVERNMENT/DepartmentsAgencies/PublicWorks.aspx

froggie

MnDOT released its 2015 construction project list today (also viewable here).

Projects of note (there are plenty of them):

- Reconstructing US 2 between Cass Lake and Deer River, to include 3 sets of passing lanes, and turn lanes at several locations.
- Reconstruction at the US 2/MN 89 junction west of Bemidji, which apparently includes a bridge.  I've heard rumors that this is to be an interchange...I have an E-mail into MnDOT asking for confirmation.
- Redecking of the Fort Rd Bridge on MN 5 over the Mississippi River.  This will be a 2-year project with single-lane traffic on MN 5 during both summers, so plan on delays.
- A new interchange on US 10 at Anoka CSAH 83 in Ramsey.  Here is the proposed layout.  Expected to be completed Fall 2016.
- Pavement reconstruction on US 10 from St. Cloud to Benton CSAH 33.  Continuation from last year when the eastbound side was done.  This will result in 2-lane/2-way traffic on the eastbound side for most of the summer.  The goal is to have all lanes open during Memorial and 4th-of-July weekends, but this will be a traffic mess all other weekends.
- Similar to above, another resurfacing project will resurface US 10 south of St. Cloud to Clear Lake, with 2-lane/2-way traffic on the westbound side.
- Auxiliary lane construction on eastbound US 12 in Wayzata from CSAH 15/101 to the off-ramp to Gleason Rd and I-494.
- Continuation of the 4-lane project on US 14 east of Owatonna.  I am still not sure if this includes the interchange at CR 43 or not.
- Roundabout construction at US 14/MN 42 near Eyota.
- As part of the multiyear flood mitigation project near St. Peter, this year's portion will reconstruct MN 22 near the Minnesota River.
- A new overpass over MN 23 at Kandiyohi CSAH 5 near Willmar.  This will NOT be a new interchange, but instead will bridge CSAH 5 over MN 23 using the existing embankments (part of the original interchange proposal from the original Willmar bypass construction years ago) and utilize the existing intersection to make the turning connections between MN 23 and CSAH 5.
- Replace the MN 24 Mississippi River Bridge at Clearwater.  This will be a 2-year project.
- A 2-year project to reconstruct much of MN 25 in Buffalo.  This year's work will add 2 roundabouts at 8th St NW and at CR 147, and construct a direct connection from the CR 147 roundabout to the MN 55/CSAH 34 intersection.  2016 work will reconstruct the MN 25/MN 55 intersection and widen MN 25 to 4 lanes for about 3/4mi north of MN 55.
- Another MN 25 project, (in Monticello) will reconstruct MN 25 for a couple miles south of I-94 and extend the 4-lane down to 85th St NE/CR 106.
- A 2-year project, reconstruction of the I-94/MN 29 interchange in Alexandria.  There are 4 main components of the reconstruction:  moving the westbound ramps closer to the overpass, to increase the spacing with the intersection at 50th Ave; widening MN 29 to 4 lanes south to CSAH 28; realigning CSAH 28 to meet MN 29 at CR 87, and constructing the MN 29/CSAH 28/CR 87 intersection as a roundabout.  Here's the proposed layout.
- A continuation of a project from last year, a project on MN 34 is adding 4 sets of passing lanes on each side between Detroit Lakes and Akeley.
- Another continuation from last year, a project on I-35 in Owatonna is reconstructing the Interstate through the town, replacing 4 bridges, and adding auxiliary lanes on both sides between Exit 41/Bridge St and Exit 42 (Old Hwy 14).
- The multiyear reconstruction of I-35E north of downtown St. Paul continues.  This project is reconstructing I-35E from downtown to Little Canada, widening the road with a MnPASS (HO/T) lane in each direction, replacing the Cayuga Bridge, and moving the Pennsylvania Ave interchange to Cayuga St.
- Completion of a sequence of projects along northbound I-35W north of downtown Minneapolis.  These projects are adding a new northbound on-ramp from 4th St, adding a northbound auxiliary lane from the University Ave exit to Johnson St, and consolidating the Johnson St and Stinson Blvd/New Brighton Blvd exits into a single exit.  I have heard that the new on-ramp from 4th St is now open.  Here is the layout.
- The proposed DDI at I-35W/Ramsey CSAH 96 in Arden Hills will be built.
- Construction on the new Stillwater Bridge project continues.
- Construction on the new MN 43 Mississippi River bridge at Winona continues.
- MN 51/Snelling Ave in St. Paul, between Selby Ave and Pierce Butler Rte, will have its pavement rebuilt.  This project includes what is effectively a redecking of the bridge over I-94, which will require the bridge to be closed from May to August.
- The US 52 Lafayette Bridge project should wrap up this Fall.
- A short project which will build a 3rd westbound lane on MN 55 between I-494 and Plymouth Blvd.
- The US 61/MN 97 junctions near Forest Lake will be reconstructed and replaced with roundabouts.
- Construction on the new I-90 Dresbach Bridge over the Mississippi River continues.
- A project in downtown Minneapolis that will continue into next year, the existing I-94 exit to 5th St will be replaced with a new exit to 7th St.  This is being done as construction of the Hiawatha LRT a decade ago reduced 5th St through most of downtown, and construction of the new Vikings Stadium has severed the street at 11th Ave.  Here is the layout.
- Widening of I-94 between Rogers and St. Michael continues.
- A new roundabout will be built at MN 96/Washington CSAH 15 near Stillwater.
- Reconstruction of MN 100 through St. Louis Park continues.  This project will reconstruct MN 100 to full width with 6 through lanes plus auxiliary lanes, reconstruct the Minnetonka Blvd interchange as a standard diamond (including a direct SB off-ramp instead of the existing indirect ramp to Vernon Ave), and reconstruct the MN 7 interchange as a 5-ramp par-clo.  This is the layout.
- MN 210 will be reconstructed through Jay Cooke State Park, in part to replace a section that washed out in severe flooding 3 years ago.
- Reconstruction and widening of I-494 between I-394 and I-94/694 continues.  The widenings involved with this project include a northbound auxiliary lane between I-394 and Carlson Pkwy, auxiliary lanes on both sides between CSAH 6 and MN 55, a 3rd through lane in each direction between MN 55 and I-94/694, and a southbound auxiliary lane from I-94/694 to CSAH 10/Bass Lake Rd.
- Construction of MN 610 between I-94 and CSAH 81 continues.  The project includes a full interchange at Maple Grove Pkwy, a partial interchange at I-94 just north of the 101st Ave overpass (WB 610 to WB 94 and EB 94 to EB 610 only), and replaces old 101st Ave with a new 105th Ave from west of I-94 to Maple Grove Pkwy.  A project layout is here.

froggie

Got an E-mail back about the US 2/MN 89 project.  It will effectively create a partial interchange.  Southbound MN 89 will bridge over US 2 then loop around to eastbound 2 (there will be a normal ramp from SB 89 to WB 2).  There will still be a left turn from EB 2 to NB 89.  And access from Countryside Restaurant and "Pete's Place" to US 2 will also remain.

Molandfreak

AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Molandfreak on April 21, 2015, 11:18:57 PM
"Minnesota's Great Umlaut War is Over"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/04/15/minnesotas-great-umlaut-war-is-over-also-minnesota-was-having-an-umlaut-war/

Well, we *thought* it was over until someone pointed out that these are not umlauts but rather a letter of the Swedish alphabet...which took this battle into another phase. :D

Bickendan

I'm half expecting a Lake Wobegon sketch to go in this direction now. Lake Wobegøn, honoring its Swedish heritage since Lindström got its umlaut back.

TheHighwayMan3561

Due to opposition from St. Louis Park residents (the city itself had given its approval) MNDot has decided not to close the ramp from MN 100 South to Westside Drive, which is at the north end of the major project zone in St. Louis Park and as a result drivers had been flooding onto local streets from the Westside exit to avoid the backups on 100. It will probably get worse on the local streets as the project enters the next phase where capacity on MN 100 will be reduced to two lanes in each direction.

Roadguy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 22, 2015, 07:32:59 PM
Due to opposition from St. Louis Park residents (the city itself had given its approval) MNDot has decided not to close the ramp from MN 100 South to Westside Drive, which is at the north end of the major project zone in St. Louis Park and as a result drivers had been flooding onto local streets from the Westside exit to avoid the backups on 100. It will probably get worse on the local streets as the project enters the next phase where capacity on MN 100 will be reduced to two lanes in each direction.

We will see how long the opposition to that closure lasts, I bet they come back and ask MnDOT to close it as there will be significant diversion off 100 in the next phase.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN 5 likely to be turned back to Washington County between MN 120 and MN 36 (its present east terminus) this summer.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_28194176/mndot-handing-over-stretch-minnesota-5-washington-county

The article mentions something a little more curious though: MNDot is apparently trying to hand over a section of MN 60 in Worthington. What is this section and why would they hand it over?

Molandfreak

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 27, 2015, 12:47:11 AM
MN 5 likely to be turned back to Washington County between MN 120 and MN 36 (its present east terminus) this summer.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_28194176/mndot-handing-over-stretch-minnesota-5-washington-county

The article mentions something a little more curious though: MNDot is apparently trying to hand over a section of MN 60 in Worthington. What is this section and why would they hand it over?
They might have forgot about the little part of old highway 60 that was left after construction. "MN 960A?"

froggie

There's a roughly 1-mi section south of downtown Worthington, near the lake, that was bypassed.  Presumably, it's that section that MnDOT's trying to turn back (which doesn't show up in Logpoint yet).

texaskdog

Finally.  It should be turned over east of the airport anyway, or moved to Shepard Road.  Also they've been talking about 65 & 47 north of Minneapolis & MN 120 for years as well.  I moved away from MN 9 years ago and they were talking about it back then.

Molandfreak

Quote from: texaskdog on May 27, 2015, 09:05:43 AM

Finally.  It should be turned over east of the airport anyway, or moved to Shepard Road.  Also they've been talking about 65 & 47 north of Minneapolis & MN 120 for years as well.  I moved away from MN 9 years ago and they were talking about it back then.
Shepard Road's pavement is in poor condition as it is. I don't think there's any reason to bring it in to the state highway system, where MN/DOT would likely neglect it further. It would be better IMHO to truncate MN 5 to U.S. 212 in Eden Prairie (unless Carver County would be willing to take it through Chanhassen) and the airport spur could become MN 594. :)

froggie

Shepard Rd is a Principal Arterial, and both MnDOT and St. Paul are studying ways to more directly connect the Fort Rd Bridge (MN 5 over the Mississippi) to Shepard Rd.  A more likely scenario is that MN 5 gets rerouted onto Shepard Rd and Warner Rd to end at 61/10.  St. Paul and/or Ramsey County would then take over 7th St and Minnehaha Ave.

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2015, 10:11:06 AM
Shepard Rd is a Principal Arterial, and both MnDOT and St. Paul are studying ways to more directly connect the Fort Rd Bridge (MN 5 over the Mississippi) to Shepard Rd.  A more likely scenario is that MN 5 gets rerouted onto Shepard Rd and Warner Rd to end at 61/10.  St. Paul and/or Ramsey County would then take over 7th St and Minnehaha Ave.
My point still stands that Ramsey County has neglected it. Weather or not MN/DOT will too, I don't know.

froggie

Speaking of that study, 9 alternatives for connecting MN 5 to Shepard Rd have been created and considered.  The project website has individual PDF files for each alternatives as well as a single PDF showing all 9.

5 of the 9 alternatives have been dropped.  Unfortunately, 3 of those dropped alternatives represented the simplest, most direct connections between MN 5 and Shepard Rd.  2 of those were along Norfolk Ave so local opposition played a factor.  The third was south of Norfolk Ave, but went right through a proposed development so I suspect that was why it was dropped.

One of the retained alternatives would have eastbound and westbound traffic cross over each other, with one of those crossings possibly being at-grade.  Another retained alternative would effectively have traffic do a 270-degree loop, using the existing loop space in the northwest quadrant of the interchange.  Unless they widened the loop radii, the loops as drawn would have very low speeds...likely 20 MPH and possibly even 15 MPH.  Not very safe given the situation.

Bickendan

I'm surprised Alternative 7 got killed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.