News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 31 freeway gap in Michigan finally will be filled (well 1 of them anyway)

Started by Terry Shea, March 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: mvak36 on July 06, 2016, 04:32:29 PM
So they will build this as a freeway?

Yes, it will be built as a freeway. the preferred alternative has already been chosen. Here is the link to the 2011 study:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Section_3_96026_7.0_Alternatives_Considered.pdf

2trailertrucker

Great news!! I just wonder how much Indiana's rebuild of US 31 had to play in their decision.

The Ghostbuster

Somehow, I feel skeptical instead of relieved. I'll believe it when I see it built.

GaryV

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 06, 2016, 08:12:37 PM
Somehow, I feel skeptical instead of relieved. I'll believe it when I see it built.
Race you with the Gordie Howe bridge.

mgk920

And from what I can tell, there is nothing to say that as time passes and traffic warrants that a direct free-flowing flyover ramp for the southbound US 31 'through' turn can't be added at some time in the future.

OTOH, I'm kind of wondering about the long-term traffic projections on the business route and whether or not such a connection might be a bit of overkill.

I note, too, in the article a credit to a familiar name for the attached map.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: I-39 on July 06, 2016, 03:33:02 PM
Finally! Though it's too bad it can't connect directly into the I-94/I-196 interchange.

Thinking it through, the utility of a direct feed into I-196 is overall not as good as the final proposal in that it would cause US 31 to essentially 'miss' the Benton Harbor/Saint Joseph area.  It is also the most expensive of the alternatives.

Mike

bulldog1979

In the article I just read earlier MDOT has divided the project into three phases. The first is to widen I-94 between I-196 and BL I-94. The second is to rebuild the BL I-94 interchange to accommodate the US 31 connection. Only the third phase actually involves completing the US 31 freeway to I-94. Also, MDOT has only identified funding for the first two phases, construction won't start until 2021, and it's a draft plan. As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it, but this is at least cause for some cautious optimism.

JREwing78

I'll believe it when they're laying pavement on the new alignment.  :-D

silverback1065

Quote from: bulldog1979 on July 06, 2016, 10:03:34 PM
In the article I just read earlier MDOT has divided the project into three phases. The first is to widen I-94 between I-196 and BL I-94. The second is to rebuild the BL I-94 interchange to accommodate the US 31 connection. Only the third phase actually involves completing the US 31 freeway to I-94. Also, MDOT has only identified funding for the first two phases, construction won't start until 2021, and it's a draft plan. As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it, but this is at least cause for some cautious optimism.

Quenticental Michigan, spend almost nothing on their roads and take 300 yrs to do anything remotely relevant.  the Holland gap will be completed in 2316 at this rate  :-D

I-39

I think they'll wait to do a flyover until when/if US 31 is designated as I-67 from Benton Harbor to Indianapolis (which will be years away, if ever, as Indiana still has a long way to go in upgrading US 31 to full freeway between South Bend and Indianapolis).

The Ghostbuster

Give up on the Interstate 67 on the US 31 corridor dream. It is not going to happen!

renegade

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 06, 2016, 10:07:17 PM
I'll believe it when they're laying pavement on the new alignment.  :-D

I'll believe it when I am driving on it!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hotdogPi

Am I missing something? I don't see any gap in US 31 either on Apple Maps or on Wikipedia. I also don't remember US 31 being listed as one of the discontinuous US routes (2, 9, 10, 422). Where is US 31 discontinuous?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

7/8

Quote from: 1 on July 07, 2016, 06:55:45 PM
Am I missing something? I don't see any gap in US 31 either on Apple Maps or on Wikipedia. I also don't remember US 31 being listed as one of the discontinuous US routes (2, 9, 10, 422). Where is US 31 discontinuous?

Technically there isn't a gap in the route. But there is a freeway gap. US 31 just south of I-94 uses E Napier Ave to connect the US 31 freeway with I-94

silverback1065

blcamp

Big mistake to connect it to Exit 33. Should be a direct tie-in to I-196 at I-94's Exit 34. That route had been approved back in 1981, environmental clearances and everything. Thirty. Five. Years. Ago.

Ridiculous it's taken this long to build it, but it's even more ridiculous that it's being built along this alternate route. US-31 will have a nightmare routing for 3 miles over some stupid butterfly.

getemngo

Quote from: blcamp on July 13, 2016, 08:10:32 AM
Big mistake to connect it to Exit 33. Should be a direct tie-in to I-196 at I-94's Exit 34. That route had been approved back in 1981, environmental clearances and everything. Thirty. Five. Years. Ago.

Ridiculous it's taken this long to build it, but it's even more ridiculous that it's being built along this alternate route. US-31 will have a nightmare routing for 3 miles over some stupid butterfly.

I think we all prefer a direct connection, but it's no worse than the I-94/US 127 concurrency or US 23/M-14.
~ Sam from Michigan

theline

My knee-jerk reaction was that a direct connection to 196 would be better, but reading the report (
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Section_3_96026_7.0_Alternatives_Considered.pdf
) convinced me that they've selected the right route. There are many factors recommending the hook-up with Main Street, not least of which is the improved access to Benton Harbor and St. Joseph for travelers from the south. The inconvenience to through travelers of this routing is minimal, and a great improvement on current Napier Ave. connection.

nwi_navigator_1181

While the direct connect to I-196 is preferred for me, it makes sense to bend the road to I-94 to finish the connection. This option allows drivers to have a "keep straight" option for heading into Benton Harbor or St. Joseph (via existing BL 94) and allows engineers to use existing high speed freeway to fill the gap (via I-94). I hope this does become a reality in my lifetime, and I would love to make the nonstop trek from Indianapolis to Grand Rapids using the link.

One thing they should do if/when the time comes to build the ramps connecting US 31 to I-94/BL 94 is to make sure they build high speed ramps for the "same direction" movements (in other words, a flyover ramp from I-94 west to US 31 South and a high speed link from US 31 North to I-94 East). I'll wait to see what happens.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

US 41

I personally think hooking it up to Main St (Exit 33) is the best option. I just hope that an interstate to interstate interchange is put in and not a partial cloverleaf (or something else stupid) with stop lights.

EDIT: It looks like it is going to be a cloverleaf interchange which is awesome. I know most of you are cloverleaf haters, but I have no problem with them. They're also the cheapest interchange that allows traffic to constantly move.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on July 15, 2016, 01:01:06 AM
I personally think hooking it up to Main St (Exit 33) is the best option. I just hope that an interstate to interstate interchange is put in and not a partial cloverleaf (or something else stupid) with stop lights.

EDIT: It looks like it is going to be a cloverleaf interchange which is awesome. I know most of you are cloverleaf haters, but I have no problem with them. They're also the cheapest interchange that allows traffic to constantly move.

i think cloverleaves are good in rural areas only.

Alps

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 15, 2016, 07:27:48 AM

Cloverleaves work in urban areas in some circumstances. See NJ 4 at NJ 93.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Alps on July 15, 2016, 06:35:20 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 15, 2016, 07:27:48 AM

Cloverleaves work in urban areas in some circumstances. See NJ 4 at NJ 93.

Or M-6 at US 131, although that also has C-D lanes for both freeways to help out.

northernmi

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2016, 04:37:32 PM
the holland gap will never be filled

The Holland gap will be a bypass, M231.  Plans do call for a freeway, at some point from I-96 to I-196.  Will take years to get that funding.

silverback1065

Quote from: northernmi on August 05, 2016, 11:17:37 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2016, 04:37:32 PM
the holland gap will never be filled

The Holland gap will be a bypass, M231.  Plans do call for a freeway, at some point from I-96 to I-196.  Will take years to get that funding.

300 Years to be exact  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.