News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 31 freeway gap in Michigan finally will be filled (well 1 of them anyway)

Started by Terry Shea, March 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

https://www.heraldpalladium.com/news/local/a-long-road-ahead/article_30d9fee9-37c4-5fd9-aaae-826425a71798.html
QuoteMDOT spokesman Nick Schirripa said his agency will still need to chip in $10 million to complete the project. MDOT had already budgeted $60 million to rebuild the I-94 interchange. Most of the right-of-ways have been secured.

"We will find this money,"  he said in a phone interview Thursday.

The total cost will likely not exceed $100 million, Schirripa said.

He said the $20 million federal grant does not change the project schedule. MDOT anticipates completing the project in 2022. It will be done by 2023 at the latest, he said.

According to a 2016 MDOT report, construction for the interchange project will begin in the department's 2021 fiscal year.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Flint1979

There is no gap in US-31. There is just a gap between two freeways in the area. US-31 is signed on Napier Ave and I-94.

silverback1065

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 07, 2018, 10:52:31 AM
There is no gap in US-31. There is just a gap between two freeways in the area. US-31 is signed on Napier Ave and I-94.

that's what they mean. and there's another gap just north of that

Flint1979

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 07, 2018, 11:09:29 AM

US-31 all connects together from what I know. I've traveled that area quite often and US-31 runs with I-196 until exit 44. I know coming southbound on I-196 the westbound I-94 signs have US-31 on it and have Chicago and Niles for control cities. I almost think it's fine the way it is.

silverback1065

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 07, 2018, 12:18:31 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 07, 2018, 11:09:29 AM

US-31 all connects together from what I know. I've traveled that area quite often and US-31 runs with I-196 until exit 44. I know coming southbound on I-196 the westbound I-94 signs have US-31 on it and have Chicago and Niles for control cities. I almost think it's fine the way it is.

you're correct it's continuous, we're just saying there are gaps in the freeway portions of it, the title of the thread is a bit wrong i guess. 

The Ghostbuster

I hope the US 31 gap is really built this time. No more excuses.

Flint1979

I was hoping that if they finished the freeway gap between Napier Avenue and I-196 that they could build a new I-67 to Indianapolis and run it up to Grand Rapids eliminating I-196 but I haven't heard anything regarding that in awhile. I-67 would be the only number you could use for a 2-di there.

The Ghostbuster

There will be no Interstate 67. Not in Indiana, not in Michigan, not in Kentucky, nowhere.

hotdogPi

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2018, 04:41:43 PM
There will be no Interstate 67. Not in Indiana, not in Michigan, not in Kentucky, nowhere.

You never know what North Carolina will do.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on December 07, 2018, 02:01:49 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on December 06, 2018, 07:27:30 PM
Yes, today was really good news. There were a lot of important Interstate/US highway projects that got funding today. I'm looking forward to the next round of FASTLANE grants being awarded next year so we can see what major projects they will fund.
iPhone

If anyone would have a complete list of the grants awarded in this round, it would be greatly appreciated if it were posted -- or at least a link supplied.  Might be some more decent tidbits in that particular litany!

Here you go: https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/policy-initiatives/327856/build-2018-fact-sheets.pdf
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

skluth

Quote from: 1 on December 07, 2018, 10:36:29 PM

+1

Henry

Quote from: skluth on December 12, 2018, 12:58:21 PM

+1
But we all can dream, right? I'll be glad when the missing link opens to traffic!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sparker

Quote from: Henry on December 12, 2018, 02:56:58 PM

+1
But we all can dream, right? I'll be glad when the missing link opens to traffic!

I-67 won't likely happen within the next 10 years; while some of the US 31 segments in IN are slated for upgrade (primarily Indy-Kokomo) beyond what's on the ground currently, quite a bit of what's left -- Kokomo north to US 24 and the substandard US 31/20 interchange south of South Bend -- is likely to remain as is for some time.  It would take a real push by regional backers to get a comprehensive upgrade of the US 31 corridor to Interstate standards; and such a proposal probably wouldn't even get an audience with INDOT at least until Segment 6 of I-69 was completed (like most DOT's, their plate has limited capacity at any given time!).  But OTOH, this MI project does increase the viability of a potential Indy-Grand Rapids corridor; for a while, it was looking like that short gap would never be filled.  Maybe by the late 2020's or early 2030's the concept of I-67 might be revisited; by that time it'll be freeway (albeit with that one substandard IN cloverleaf) all the way from US 30 to Benton Harbor and likely from I-465 north to the north end of Kokomo.  Tackling the intervening section would be like any other divided rural highway with private access -- problematic but not impossible. 

wdcrft63

+1
FWIW, North Carolina's three BUILD grants have nothing to do with interstate or freeway projects. One project will replace inadequate bridges on rural highways, one will build a bikeway/greenway in Hickory, and one will further develop the new Amtrak station in Raleigh.

sparker

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 12, 2018, 06:25:31 PM

+1
FWIW, North Carolina's three BUILD grants have nothing to do with interstate or freeway projects. One project will replace inadequate bridges on rural highways, one will build a bikeway/greenway in Hickory, and one will further develop the new Amtrak station in Raleigh.

Were any of NC's grant applications specifically directed to one of their future Interstate projects?  It would seem that those are chugging along quite well even without one or more of these grants; in fact the three selections underscore the notion that NC isn't just about expanding their in-state Interstate network but that their transportation program is a bit more versatile than that -- which might allay to some degree criticism of their priorities.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on December 12, 2018, 08:44:14 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 12, 2018, 06:25:31 PM

+1

Were any of NC's grant applications specifically directed to one of their future Interstate projects?  It would seem that those are chugging along quite well even without one or more of these grants; in fact the three selections underscore the notion that NC isn't just about expanding their in-state Interstate network but that their transportation program is a bit more versatile than that -- which might allay to some degree criticism of their priorities.
This is really off subject for this forum, but NCDOT does have an active bikeway program and a major division, NCRail, for rail transportation. NCRail has spent plenty on upgrading tracks between Raleigh and Charlotte and rebuilding or upgrading all the stations along that route; it operates four round trips daily and plans to add a fifth next year, I believe. You can read about the rail operation at https://www.ncbytrain.org/.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
The state-owned North Carolina Railroad extends in a broad arc from Charlotte up to Greensboro essentially following I-85, then over to Durham and Raleigh following I-40, and finally east to Morehead City along US 70/future I-42.  The part of the arc from Charlotte over to Selma hosts both in-state and Amtrak services, while the entire length is also leased to NS for freight movement.  NS dispatches, operates, and maintains the entire line, while Amtrak provides the crews for the passenger movements (similar to the arrangements elsewhere between Amtrak and its host railroads).  While well-subsidized by NC (like with the in-state "Amtrak California" services in that state, the state agency actually owns the locomotives and the passenger cars), the "Carolina" service corridor seems to be one of the more successful regional passenger-rail operations in both financial and service terms. 

P.S.:  now that we've exhausted the "compound digression" from the OP, perhaps we can circle back to at least MI/IN-related topics.

dvferyance

Better chance with that then WI-29 becoming an interstate.

I-39

Do you have a crystal ball saying so or something? Because there is no way you can say that definitely. I agree its a moot point until US 31 is a full freeway between South Bend and Indianapolis, which will be quite a while, but you cannot state that I-67 will never ever happen. No one here knows.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 25, 2009, 07:45:18 PM
Quote from: leifvanderwall on September 25, 2009, 07:36:58 PM
Awright!!!! But Indiana is going to have a heckuva fight on its hands getting the I-67 moniker  because I guy named Murtha wants it in Pennsylvania
The only way they're going to get the I-67 designation is if they cheat and write it into another bill like they did with I-99.  Somebody needs to teach these Pennsylvania politicians how to count.  :happy:
Not to mention that where PA wants I-67 along US 219 cannot happen as long as every new freeway alignment has interchanges with at grade intersections like the diamond interchange proposed at I-86 in Salamanca, NY
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Terry Shea on March 30, 2009, 01:47:36 PM
Quote from: leifvanderwall on March 30, 2009, 11:59:00 AM
In my opinion, the stimulus money should be used for the existing road because I-196/ US 31 in Berrien and Van Buren Counties is not in good shape. Also US 31 freeway between US 12 and the Indiana Toll Road is in terrible shape as well. As far as making US 31 a complete freeway, you might as well as name it Interstate 67. You see this is why this country has to stay out of wars. The War In Iraq has cost this country at least 3 trillion dollars if not more and the money we gave to Haliburton could have been used to make US 31 from Indianapolis to Ludington and perhaps Traverse City the new I-67 freeway. We really need freeways and roads to rebuild the economy.
Yeah, but Obama's going to spend (waste) way more than that even if he eliminates a war.  But I guess as long as he's going to spend money I hope he throws some in our direction, and I hope Granholm and our legislature get their act together, but that's probably asking for the impossible.

I-67 could follow US 31 through Indiana then take a jog eastward and use the US 131 freeway. 131 seems like a more important freeway to include into the interstate system
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on February 10, 2020, 11:11:03 PM
Quote from: Terry Shea on March 30, 2009, 01:47:36 PM
Quote from: leifvanderwall on March 30, 2009, 11:59:00 AM
In my opinion, the stimulus money should be used for the existing road because I-196/ US 31 in Berrien and Van Buren Counties is not in good shape. Also US 31 freeway between US 12 and the Indiana Toll Road is in terrible shape as well. As far as making US 31 a complete freeway, you might as well as name it Interstate 67. You see this is why this country has to stay out of wars. The War In Iraq has cost this country at least 3 trillion dollars if not more and the money we gave to Haliburton could have been used to make US 31 from Indianapolis to Ludington and perhaps Traverse City the new I-67 freeway. We really need freeways and roads to rebuild the economy.
Yeah, but Obama's going to spend (waste) way more than that even if he eliminates a war.  But I guess as long as he's going to spend money I hope he throws some in our direction, and I hope Granholm and our legislature get their act together, but that's probably asking for the impossible.

I-67 could follow US 31 through Indiana then take a jog eastward and use the US 131 freeway. 131 seems like a more important freeway to include into the interstate system

Indiana has plans to remove the remaining traffic lights and railroad crossings on US 31 north of Indy to make the entire route free flowing, but there are no plans to make it all freeway.  Any potential interstate designation would have to end at US 30 near Plymouth.

I'm also not aware of any plans to convert US 131 to freeway south of Schoolcraft so I don't know how that would tie in either.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

The Ghostbuster

The US 31 freeway in southwestern Michigan should have been completed to Interstate 94 well before now. Was the butterfly concern legitimate, or was it an excuse to keep the freeway from being constructed?

dvferyance

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 25, 2009, 07:45:18 PM
Quote from: leifvanderwall on September 25, 2009, 07:36:58 PM
Awright!!!! But Indiana is going to have a heckuva fight on its hands getting the I-67 moniker  because I guy named Murtha wants it in Pennsylvania
The only way they're going to get the I-67 designation is if they cheat and write it into another bill like they did with I-99.  Somebody needs to teach these Pennsylvania politicians how to count.  :happy:
Last thing Pennsylvania needs is another interstate way out of place. If there is ever going to be an I-67 it should be in Indiana and Michigan. If they want US 219 as an interstate push for a 3 digit number.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.