News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 13, 2020, 11:19:04 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 13, 2020, 08:17:52 AM
The team is going to announce today that they are dropping the name Redskins. New name to be announced later pending the trademarking process.
End of an era. Honestly never thought it would happen.

Never? All the negative press (both recently and for years) and you still thought it would never happen?

I saw it coming a mile away.

IMO, good riddance. The Redskins have like 12 fans in the DMV from what I've seen first-hand. May as well rebrand while they suck.

74/171FAN

Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2020, 02:45:56 PM
The team is going to announce today that they are dropping the name Redskins. New name to be announced later pending the trademarking process.

Never? All the negative press (both recently and for years) and you still thought it would never happen?

IMO, good riddance. The Redskins have like 12 fans in the DMV from what I've seen first-hand. May as well rebrand while they suck.

Dan Snyder is 100% about the money and nothing else.  The moment that FedEx requested it was when it was certain that the name would be changed because otherwise it would directly affect Snyder's pocketbook.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

LM117

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 13, 2020, 03:03:46 PM

Dan Snyder is 100% about the money and nothing else.  The moment that FedEx requested it was when it was certain that the name would be changed because otherwise it would directly affect Snyder's pocketbook.

Agreed. Another classic case of "money talks". I seriously doubt this would've happened if FedEx hadn't stepped in.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jeffandnicole

Quote from: LM117 on July 13, 2020, 03:29:53 PM

Agreed. Another classic case of "money talks". I seriously doubt this would've happened if FedEx hadn't stepped in.

As mentioned, it's been talked and debated about for years.  There was one reason why it's now happened, you and two mentioned it.  You can bet that FedEx isn't getting their money's worth from the sponsorship anyway, so this gives them some positive press.

jakeroot

And FedEx, sooner or later, would have threatened pulling their sponsorship. The debate over the team name has raged for years. It wasn't just going to keep raging. Eventually there'd be a tipping point; these last couple months were that tipping point.

And it's not like they could have gone out and found another sponsor of the Redskins name. Why would any major company want to associate with them?

I said it once; I'll say it again: the name's death has been written on the wall for years.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2020, 04:26:32 PM

And it's not like they could have gone out and found another sponsor of the Redskins name. Why would any major company want to associate with them?

If not for it being in the wrong part of the country, Ore-Ida would work, as the name Redskins would refer to something entirely different.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on July 13, 2020, 04:30:12 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2020, 04:26:32 PM

If not for it being in the wrong part of the country, Ore-Ida would work, as the name Redskins would refer to something entirely different.

Ahh, the ol King County method: just change the name-sake! I get the joke, although I think the team/management need to go deeper if they want to disassociate themselves with their original name-sake, including a total name change.

Besides, what would be their new mascot? A potato? :-D

nexus73

"Hail To The Redskins" was one of the few great pro football team songs. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

Quote from: nexus73 on July 13, 2020, 04:36:47 PM

Rick

There have been multiple reports that the song's meter is likely to factor into the new name so they can still use it. The song has already evolved quite a bit over the years, as the original lyrics to the middle verse were, "Scalp 'em, swamp 'em, we will take 'em big score. Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown, we want heap more." So there's no real reason why "Redskins" couldn't be changed to another word that fits the meter.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2020, 04:48:45 PM

Rick

There have been multiple reports that the song's meter is likely to factor into the new name so they can still use it. The song has already evolved quite a bit over the years, as the original lyrics to the middle verse were, "Scalp 'em, swamp 'em, we will take 'em big score. Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown, we want heap more." So there's no real reason why "Redskins" couldn't be changed to another word that fits the meter.

So it will be a two-syllable word.

1995hoo

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 13, 2020, 04:57:26 PM

Rick

My wife and I were speculating that there might be a three-syllable word if it could be sung in a way that fit the meter. For example, there's been talk of "Washington Warriors." I have my doubts about the likelihood of that name for other reasons, but you can sing the word "Warriors" in a way that's closer to two syllables than three without it sounding too weird. Same goes for "Federals" or "Generals" (both of which are probably pronounced as two syllables more commonly than three anyway because people more or less omit the middle short "e" sound), but I find it really hard to imagine the Redskins adopting either of those names. The Washington Generals may have even more of a record of losing than the Federals did in their brief and terrible history.

(There used to be a pro football team named "Generals" that was owned by a certain well-known person currently residing in DC. Questionable who's less popular in the DC area–that guy or Dan Snyder.)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 13, 2020, 04:57:26 PM

Rick

Well, a two-syllable word with a stressed first syllable, and arguably also the second. Compound words can be tricky.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 14, 2020, 04:00:15 PM
Jerry Jones announced he will change his team's name.

Mod note: satire (Onion)
That satire would not sit well with Tom Landry, who sang in a AmEx(?) ad:  Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be - Redskins.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Big John on July 14, 2020, 05:24:30 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 14, 2020, 04:00:15 PM
Jerry Jones announced he will change his team's name.

Mod note: satire (Onion)
That satire would not sit well with Tom Landry, who sang in a AmEx(?) ad:  Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be - Redskins.
What does that mean? Landry not like Indians?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Stephane Dumas

We could suggest the name "Deadskins", that's how the Redskins act, far away from the glory 1980s just like the Detroit Red Wings who was known as "Dead Wings" in the 1970s.

One guy posted some others suggestions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqM4wOYBTA

oscar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 14, 2020, 07:41:31 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 14, 2020, 05:24:30 PM
What does that mean? Landry not like Indians?

The rest of the ad (for Choice Hotels) continued, sheepishly, "You didn't think I was going to say Cowboys, did ya?". This was a play off Landry's unhappy exit from the Cowboys, who fired him two years earlier.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 14, 2020, 07:51:09 PM
We could suggest the name "Deadskins", that's how the Redskins act, far away from the glory 1980s just like the Detroit Red Wings who was known as "Dead Wings" in the 1970s.

Weren't they setting attendance records barely ten years ago? Not saying this makes them a good team. Just an observation I think I read.

1995hoo

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on July 14, 2020, 08:17:18 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 14, 2020, 07:51:09 PM

Weren't they setting attendance records barely ten years ago? Not saying this makes them a good team. Just an observation I think I read.
Fans only cared in 2012 with RG3.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

The Eagles will play without fans in the stadium this season, as Philly is now restricting all large scale gatherings thru Feb, 2021.

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2020, 09:55:36 PM
The Eagles will play without fans in the stadium this season, as Philly is now restricting all large scale gatherings thru Feb, 2021.
There is question on whether it applies to stadiums. https://6abc.com/philadelphia-public-events-prohibited-canceled-coronavirus-cancellations-covid-cancellations/6316668/
QuoteKenney said the moratorium would not apply to stadiums, but Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley clarified that having fans in stadiums would not meet the city's guidelines under the executive order.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Big John on July 14, 2020, 10:43:11 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2020, 09:55:36 PM
There is question on whether it applies to stadiums. https://6abc.com/philadelphia-public-events-prohibited-canceled-coronavirus-cancellations-covid-cancellations/6316668/
QuoteKenney said the moratorium would not apply to stadiums, but Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley clarified that having fans in stadiums would not meet the city's guidelines under the executive order.

While the original order didn't apply to the stadiums, all indications thru the team say they will play without fans this season

Big John

Quote from: Big John on July 04, 2020, 09:16:35 PM
Elsewhere, CFL's Edmonton Eskimos will be keeping their name.
They changed their mind.  A name change will be coming.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Big John on July 16, 2020, 06:06:35 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 04, 2020, 09:16:35 PM
Elsewhere, CFL's Edmonton Eskimos will be keeping their name.
They changed their mind.  A name change will be coming.
Edmonton Inuit?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.