News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

The only apples to apples comparison in that list is the Cotton Bowl since the historic stadiums where those other bowls were played were torn down and the natural successor was the new stadium. I think Jerry Jones's outsized influence probably had a say in the Cotton Bowl move, but the stadium was also well known for being in a part of Dallas that wasn't the ritziest. It still hosts the Red River Shootout and a new lesser bowl game. Stan Kroenke doesn't seem to be as greedy about getting anything and everything into his stadium as Jones, but there might be a year or two where they have to go there whenever the Rose Bowl inevitably needs renovating/rebuilding.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 21, 2020, 03:52:07 PM
The only apples to apples comparison in that list is the Cotton Bowl since the historic stadiums where those other bowls were played were torn down and the natural successor was the new stadium. I think Jerry Jones's outsized influence probably had a say in the Cotton Bowl move, but the stadium was also well known for being in a part of Dallas that wasn't the ritziest. It still hosts the Red River Shootout and a new lesser bowl game. Stan Kroenke doesn't seem to be as greedy about getting anything and everything into his stadium as Jones, but there might be a year or two where they have to go there whenever the Rose Bowl inevitably needs renovating/rebuilding.
The Orange Bowl Game was moved into Hard Rock Stadium long before the Orange Bowl Stadium was torn down, if memory serves. Maybe by about a decade or so?

After looking it up, the Orange Bowl Game moved to the Dolphins' new stadium in 1996. The Hurricanes moved to that stadium for their home games starting in 2008 - same year the Orange Bowl Stadium was torn down

The "U"  was playing their home games at the Orange Bowl Stadium well after the Orange Bowl game was being played at the Dolphins Stadium

Hard Rock Stadium opened in 1987

Fiesta Bowl was played at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe - pretty sure Arizona State still uses that as their home field

NWI_Irish96

The Rose Bowl is run by the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, which is a non-profit, so they probably aren't as motivated by money and aren't likely to let the game leave Pasadena.

The Cotton Bowl stadium still exists on the Texas state fairgrounds and is used for the Texas-Oklahoma game every year. The Orange Bowl stadium is long gone and it's sad that no use could be found for it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 21, 2020, 04:02:37 PM
The Rose Bowl is run by the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, which is a non-profit, so they probably aren't as motivated by money and aren't likely to let the game leave Pasadena.
First, for Tax purposes, aren't all the Bowl Games officially non-profits?

Second, that was the argument that the Rose Bowl would never join the BCS then the CFP - yet they did, anyway $$$

$$$ Talks, BS Walks

I don't think the Tournament of Roses will be in a big hurry to move the game to SoFi, but I think, by New Years 2031, that the Rose Bowl Game will be played at SoFi Stadium, regularly

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 21, 2020, 04:02:37 PM

The Cotton Bowl stadium still exists on the Texas state fairgrounds and is used for the Texas-Oklahoma game every year. The Orange Bowl stadium is long gone and it's sad that no use could be found for it.

Marlins Park now stands where the old Orange Bowl was. I went to a UVA—Miami game at the Orange Bowl in 2005. That stadium was a dump. It made RFK Stadium in DC seem like a modern sports palace, in particular the exceptionally narrow concourses, inadequate restrooms, and bleacher-style seating with no backs. While bleacher-style seating is common in many college stadiums, the Orange Bowl was an NFL stadium for many years and even hosted the Super Bowl, so it was kind of surprising to discover that sort of seating there in 2005. (To the stadium's credit, though, the seats were orange plastic instead of bare shiny aluminum that would burn your rear end in the hot Florida sun in September.) I'm not quite sure I'd call the Orange Bowl the "worst" stadium I've ever visited, though. Alumni Stadium at Boston College might take that dubious honor because of the temporary-feeling construction combined with the rows of seats being way too close together so you had to sit with your knees splayed out to avoid kneeing the person in front of you. BC had far better restrooms than the Orange Bowl, though (but they were also less necessary because the Orange Bowl sold beer and BC didn't).

The one that seemed like it was torn down really quickly was the Georgia Dome. It opened in the early 1990s and has already been replaced and demolished. I went to two games there, both Peach Bowls. What was really striking was how massive the stadium was. Its seating capacity was comparable to the Carolina Panthers' stadium (which is, IMO, the nicest football stadium I've visited), yet it felt much bigger inside.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 21, 2020, 04:24:09 PM
It opened in the early 1990s and has already been replaced and demolished. I went to two games there, both Peach Bowls. What was really striking was how massive the stadium was. Its seating capacity was comparable to the Carolina Panthers' stadium (which is, IMO, the nicest football stadium I've visited), yet it felt much bigger inside.

Sounds like it was built explicitly for the 1996 Olympics.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NWI_Irish96

I was on the sideline for the 1994 Cotton Bowl. It seemed fine then, but that was a long time ago. ND Stadium was in rough shape before they renovated/expanded it in 1995-96.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on December 21, 2020, 04:27:13 PM
It opened in the early 1990s and has already been replaced and demolished. I went to two games there, both Peach Bowls. What was really striking was how massive the stadium was. Its seating capacity was comparable to the Carolina Panthers' stadium (which is, IMO, the nicest football stadium I've visited), yet it felt much bigger inside.

I don't think that's correct. I believe they had already planned to replace their old concrete donut (Atlanta—Fulton County Stadium) with two separate venues, one for football (the dome) and one for baseball. Centennial Olympic Stadium was built for the Olympics and was then renovated into what became Turner Field. It's now used as a football stadium, I think by Georgia Southern, since the baseball team moved out to the suburbs.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 21, 2020, 04:32:34 PM

I don't think that's correct. I believe they had already planned to replace their old concrete donut (Atlanta—Fulton County Stadium) with two separate venues, one for football (the dome) and one for baseball. Centennial Olympic Stadium was built for the Olympics and was then renovated into what became Turner Field. It's now used as a football stadium, I think by Georgia Southern, since the baseball team moved out to the suburbs.
The Georgia Dome was used for the Olympics, tho

Atlanta won their bid in 1990.

I bet the Olympics were in mind when Construction began for the Georgia Dome. Would it have been built without it? Who knows

1995hoo

Right, I know it was used for the Olympics. I was just responding to the comment about "built explicitly for the 1996 Olympics." Construction began in November 1989 and it opened in 1992. The Olympics were awarded in September 1990. So the bidding process was absolutely underway when construction began, but clearly the stadium was not contingent on the Olympic bid.

US 89

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 21, 2020, 04:32:34 PM

I don't think that's correct. I believe they had already planned to replace their old concrete donut (Atlanta–Fulton County Stadium) with two separate venues, one for football (the dome) and one for baseball. Centennial Olympic Stadium was built for the Olympics and was then renovated into what became Turner Field. It's now used as a football stadium, I think by Georgia Southern, since the baseball team moved out to the suburbs.

Georgia State plays their football games in Center Parc Stadium, the new name for the old Turner Field (though I don't think the signs on 75/85 have been changed over yet). Georgia Southern is down in Statesboro.

ilpt4u

Quote from: US 89 on December 21, 2020, 07:34:54 PM
Georgia State plays their football games in Center Parc Stadium, the new name for the old Turner Field (though I don't think the signs on 75/85 have been changed over yet). Georgia Southern is down in Statesboro.
Georgia State only recently started a Football program, or at least at the FBS level, right?

US 89

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 21, 2020, 07:40:49 PM
Quote from: US 89 on December 21, 2020, 07:34:54 PM
Georgia State only recently started a Football program, or at least at the FBS level, right?

Started in 2010 as an FCS program. They moved up to FBS when they joined the Sun Belt in 2013.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

NWI_Irish96

triplemultiplex

Yep, let no one forget, this name change thing is all about distracting the public from some rich asshole's sexual harassment scandal.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Team name request: Montana Joes. (Normally, this area would be too sparsely populated, but if the team is in Butte or Bozeman, it would become the closest team to the Salt Lake City metro area.)

I've mentioned it before, but if Denver didn't already have a team, they could have the Denver Omelettes. Unlike the Montana Joes, the Omelettes could work for any sport. Same with the Indiana Jones (which I haven't mentioned before), although I wouldn't recommend putting the Joes and the Jones in the same sport.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2021, 06:47:33 AM
Team name request: Montana Joes. (Normally, this area would be too sparsely populated, but if the team is in Butte or Bozeman, it would become the closest team to the Salt Lake City metro area.)

I've mentioned it before, but if Denver didn't already have a team, they could have the Denver Omelettes. Unlike the Montana Joes, the Omelettes could work for any sport. Same with the Indiana Jones (which I haven't mentioned before), although I wouldn't recommend putting the Joes and the Jones in the same sport.

Every strike, every miss, every incomplete pass would be followed with: "Opps, they got egg on their face".

kevinb1994

Big John

Big John

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 16, 2020, 06:30:30 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 16, 2020, 06:06:35 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 04, 2020, 09:16:35 PM
Elsewhere, CFL's Edmonton Eskimos will be keeping their name.
They changed their mind.  A name change will be coming.
Edmonton Inuit?
They officially changed their name to Edmonton Elks.

bing101

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fox-backing-2022-reboot-of-u-s-football-league-1234962480/
There are talks to reboot the USFL in 2022. That's right the last time the USFL was talked about was because that league was run over by the NFL in 1985.

kevinb1994

Quote from: bing101 on June 03, 2021, 05:06:43 PM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fox-backing-2022-reboot-of-u-s-football-league-1234962480/
There are talks to reboot the USFL in 2022. That's right the last time the USFL was talked about was because that league was run over by the NFL in 1985.
I have heard about the old USFL team here, the Jacksonville Bulls (the city went crazy to the point where they repainted the Mathews Bridge). The story is that if it weren't for the Bulls, the Jaguars wouldn't exist. Even the Oilers (now the Titans) considered moving to Jacksonville once the USFL folded back in the day (of course, this didn't come to pass, and the Oilers eventually moved to Tennessee).

Big John

^^ And Head Coach Lindy Infante went from the Bulls to the NFL and the Packers.

nexus73

Quote from: bing101 on June 03, 2021, 05:06:43 PM

Despite mentioning Trump, this is a non-political post.  Donald Trump owned the NJ Generals.  They had a decent team and there were others like the Philadelphia Bell and Houston Gamblers.  Trump pushed for the USFL to play in the fall.  That seemed to be the breaking point for the USFL.  The quality of play was good enough as evidenced by the amount of former USFL players who played in the NFL.  One has to wonder if there was room for another fall league back in the Eighties?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.