News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 28, 2020, 04:37:30 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 01, 2020, 08:58:51 PM
I wonder if any of us will live to see any more of Interstate 69 constructed within Mississippi.

I am not holding my breath. I don't even know if any portions of it are shovel-ready in case a big infrastructure bill was to land. Then again, Mississippi has a lot of bridges that need replacing across the state as well as other needs that would need to be considered along with new I-69 construction.

That goes for Arkansas, as well: lots of old bridges
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

Quote from: US71 on December 28, 2020, 05:06:56 PM
I wonder if any of us will live to see any more of Interstate 69 constructed within Mississippi.

I am not holding my breath. I don't even know if any portions of it are shovel-ready in case a big infrastructure bill was to land. Then again, Mississippi has a lot of bridges that need replacing across the state as well as other needs that would need to be considered along with new I-69 construction.

That goes for Arkansas, as well: lots of old bridges

At least Arkansas has a new revenue stream to get the ball rolling on its segments of I-69, even if they are only two-lane segments with occasional at-grade intersections. To my knowledge, Mississippi doesn't even have that.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 28, 2020, 05:16:15 PM

At least Arkansas has a new revenue stream to get the ball rolling on its segments of I-69, even if they are only two-lane segments with occasional at-grade intersections. To my knowledge, Mississippi doesn't even have that.

And they are good at wasting it,
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bwana39

I think the roads Arkansas is building make sense regardless of whether I-69 gets built. They have not wasted anything. The regional transportation in east central Arkansas is pretty dismal. It is mostly still on pre-WWII alignments. It tends to go from community to community instead of make a straight path towards anything. Bypassing towns with 25mph speed limits, opening up 55 to 65 mph rural roads. If they can convince Little Rock it is just getting ready for I-69 good for them.

While I rail on about the great river Bridge and the routing of I-69 in Arkansas (and to a lesser extent Mississippi), I realistically don't see either being built in the next 30 years and frankly that is beyond any sort of real long-term planning.

Arkansas is Committed to I-530. I-69 is on the back burner behind I-57 and I-49.  Might even see a push for I-57 to Monroe , LA pass I-69. If they actually start building freeway toward the bridge Mississippi will figure out something even if it is just a rural 4-lane to I-55.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

codyg1985

A four-lane upgrade to MS 8 could work.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

MDOT has a design build project in the works to widen, rehabilitate, or replace multiple bridges along I-20/59 in Meridian. This will also include the installation of ITS infrastructure.

https://mdot.ms.gov/portal/design_build_view/24
Cody Goodman

kenarmy

Probably nothing major. Maybe between US 61 and 55 it's somewhat important but 69 and 269 are very unnecessary in Mississippi. I live here and I only have been on 69 when I'm going to Memphis and it's concurrent with 55. I've never been on 269. I'd rather see 49 get expanded or a water works curve improvement.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

bwana39

Quote from: kenarmy on January 16, 2021, 01:58:56 PM

Probably nothing major. Maybe between US 61 and 55 it's somewhat important but 69 and 269 are very unnecessary in Mississippi. I live here and I only have been on 69 when I'm going to Memphis and it's concurrent with 55. I've never been on 269. I'd rather see 49 get expanded or a water works curve improvement.

I think this sums up the Mississippi attitude.  A (needed) curve modification in metro Jackson and US-49 going from Jackson to Hattiesburg then on to Gulfport or Biloxi far outweigh the I-69 project. For Mississippi, it is going to be a stretch to build the less than ten miles to the bridge and their share of the bridge if it were to be built either directly west of the MS-304/US-61 intersection or pretty much due west of the current southern terminus of I-69. Building 100 more miles that holds virtually zero reward for the people of Mississippi that live and work south of the I-20 corridor is going to be a non-starter.  US Senator Wicker is from Northwest MS and Senator Hyde-Smith is from south MS. While Wicker was a close ally of Former Senator Trent Lott,  I don't think he holds the affinity for the delta that Lott did.

I think the state legislature would be less open to it than even the US senators.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Brooks

I can tell you've never driven on 269 before because it is far from unnecessary. The areas around Lewisburg and Hernando are constantly adding new homes and Olive Branch is slowly but surely trying to expand to the south toward 269. Plus, if you've ever driven MS 302 through Southaven and Olive Branch you will see the benefit of having 269. However I would have to agree on 69 past Tunica. Mississippi simply has bigger fish to fry and their budget barely allows for maintenance of current infrastructure.

kenarmy

Quote from: Brooks on January 17, 2021, 11:21:33 PM

I can tell you've never driven on 269 before because it is far from unnecessary. The areas around Lewisburg and Hernando are constantly adding new homes and Olive Branch is slowly but surely trying to expand to the south toward 269. Plus, if you've ever driven MS 302 through Southaven and Olive Branch you will see the benefit of having 269. However I would have to agree on 69 past Tunica. Mississippi simply has bigger fish to fry and their budget barely allows for maintenance of current infrastructure.
Yes, I have been on 302 in Southaven but I don't see the benefit. I understand what you mean by expansion, but I don't see how this interstate can do that many more wonders than an expanded 304 could. No one is using 269 for through traffic except for drivers on 22 who want to get to 55. The route bypasses Memphis, but using 55, 240, and 40 to its terminus is  faster.

kenarmy

What is Up with MS 16's routing near canton? MS 16 goes south with MS 43 just as it enters canton, then it leaves the concurrency and continues west on Nissan Parkway. Then it goes back NE to Canton and finally goes West on its route. This routing doesn't make sense. Is it because 16 is supposed to be a truck route? Even Google Maps shows 16 doing the logical thing and just continuing west on Peace Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6033789,-90.0632763,13.25z

If 16 just used Peace Street, it would be 6 minutes between its independent sections instead of 13. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it's just one smaller city. And I also wonder why 22 wasn't extended to connect with 43.

rel4

MS 16 was moved to the Canton Pkwy bypass between US 51 and MS 43 in the past couple of years. I assume the city did not want the truck traffic on Peace St east of US 51 anymore, so they asked MDOT to move MS 16 to the bypass and took over maintenance of Peace St from US 51 to MS 43.

Quote from: kenarmy on February 06, 2021, 09:43:46 PM
What is Up with MS 16's routing near canton? MS 16 goes south with MS 43 just as it enters canton, then it leaves the concurrency and continues west on Nissan Parkway. Then it goes back NE to Canton and finally goes West on its route. This routing doesn't make sense. Is it because 16 is supposed to be a truck route? Even Google Maps shows 16 doing the logical thing and just continuing west on Peace Street.

If 16 just used Peace Street, it would be 6 minutes between its independent sections instead of 13. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it's just one smaller city. And I also wonder why 22 wasn't extended to connect with 43.

kenarmy

Quote from: rel4 on February 20, 2021, 09:59:42 PM
MS 16 was moved to the Canton Pkwy bypass between US 51 and MS 43 in the past couple of years. I assume the city did not want the truck traffic on Peace St east of US 51 anymore, so they asked MDOT to move MS 16 to the bypass and took over maintenance of Peace St from US 51 to MS 43.

Ohh. But when they had this change, I wonder why they didn't have 16 follow I-55 from the North Canton exit to Nissan Parkway.

rel4

If I had to guess, everybody was fine with MS 16 (and its truck traffic) staying on US 51 through downtown.

Quote from: kenarmy on February 20, 2021, 10:33:40 PM

Ohh. But when they had this change, I wonder why they didn't have 16 follow I-55 from the North Canton exit to Nissan Parkway.

kenarmy

Quote from: rel4 on February 26, 2021, 07:30:41 PM
If I had to guess, everybody was fine with MS 16 (and its truck traffic) staying on US 51 through downtown.

Quote from: kenarmy on February 20, 2021, 10:33:40 PM

I just drove on Nissan Parkway, and it appears 16 has in fact been moved to 55, this had to be really recent because signage in this area is erroneous. Or Mdot doesn't want people to know

rel4

Quote from: kenarmy on February 27, 2021, 02:01:00 PM
I just drove on Nissan Parkway, and it appears 16 has in fact been moved to 55, this had to be really recent because signage in this area is erroneous. Or Mdot doesn't want people to know
The Nissan Pkwy/Canton Pkwy bypass has always been MDOT maintained since it was built. But the route was always unnumbered until the MS 16 relocation. The western half of the bypass from MS 22 to US 51 remains MDOT maintained but unnumbered.

kenarmy

I'm back with more questions  :sombrero:.

Was MS 18 ever officially split, and does it have a concurrency with I-20 or US 80? I remember seeing somewhere in a log "East" and "West". But it's obvious now it has a hidden concurrency with one of the routes. MS 18 is signed as if it connects to US 80, but signs on I-20 suggests that it doesn't make it that far.

And US 51 is confusing.. Google maps, imaps, and most other maps show 51 using all of State Street, but it was moved from this alignment over 50 years ago! US 49 formerly used Medgar Evers Boulevard and Woodrow Wilson, but signage is strict on the fact 49 doesn't use the road anymore and maps are too. I think MDOT is just trying to fool people because they never removed the signs at the US 80 junction and signage along the 55 concurrency only occur past the state street exit.

froggie

Speaking from personal experience, MDOT is one of the worst in the nation when it comes to route signage.

20 years ago when I was stationed in Mississippi, I asked about MS 18 and the response I got was mixed.

cjk374

Quote from: froggie on April 06, 2021, 07:45:51 AM

Speaking from personal experience, MDOT is one of the worst in the nation when it comes to route signage.

Arkansas would like for you to hold its beer.  :cheers:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

froggie

I've been to both extensively.  I'd argue MDOT is worse than ARDOT.

rawmustard

There was a sinkhole in Highway 26 west of Lucedale, most likely a result of Ida. Two people are dead and 10 others are injured as seven vehicles had plunged into the hole.

rel4

Quote from: kenarmy on April 06, 2021, 12:14:15 AM
I'm back with more questions  :sombrero:.

Was MS 18 ever officially split, and does it have a concurrency with I-20 or US 80? I remember seeing somewhere in a log "East" and "West". But it's obvious now it has a hidden concurrency with one of the routes. MS 18 is signed as if it connects to US 80, but signs on I-20 suggests that it doesn't make it that far.

And US 51 is confusing.. Google maps, imaps, and most other maps show 51 using all of State Street, but it was moved from this alignment over 50 years ago! US 49 formerly used Medgar Evers Boulevard and Woodrow Wilson, but signage is strict on the fact 49 doesn't use the road anymore and maps are too. I think MDOT is just trying to fool people because they never removed the signs at the US 80 junction and signage along the 55 concurrency only occur past the state street exit.

MS 18 does not have a concurrency on US 80 or I-20. Never has had one. Miss. Code Ann. § 65-3-3 says the route runs from Port Gibson to US 80 in Jackson, then restarts at US 80 in Brandon and heads east. The signage is correct.

The remaining US 51 signs at US 80 in theory should be removed or changed to "To US 51" to match the "To I-55" signage. I'd chalk it up as an oversight especially since everything at the interchange is antiquated. MDOT eventually removed all of the green signage at I-20 that indicate US 51 using State St.  State St itself does not have any US 51 signage north of US 80.

MDOT moved US 49 off Medgar Evers Blvd and Woodrow Wilson Ave in 1987 and changed the signage correctly at that time. Unlike other old sections of US 49 that became MS 149, MDOT relinquished all control back to the city.

The Google maps, in many aspects, are not right. I'm not sure how they show US 51 using State St especially since it hasn't been a state maintained highway since either the mid 1950s or the early 1970s depending on the section.

froggie

Quote from: rel4
MS 18 does not have a concurrency on US 80 or I-20. Never has had one. Miss. Code Ann. § 65-3-3 says the route runs from Port Gibson to US 80 in Jackson, then restarts at US 80 in Brandon and heads east. The signage is correct.

It was signed in the past as having one.  Not consistently, but certainly at the "endpoints" way back when I was stationed in Mississippi.  I also felt that there was (still is?) a lot of ambiguity in how the Legislature coded the state highway routes.

froggie

Another inconsistency that I would appreciate if someone could field check:  are MS 4 and MS 7 signed along the northern Holly Springs bypass route the county built about a decade ago?  GMSV is inconsistent and in many cases not very recent.  And if the bypass is indeed signed as 4/7, have MS 4/MS 7 shields been removed through town?

codyg1985

MDOT has a two month advertisement for the US 82 Greenville bypass between MS 1 and Leland. It will be a 70 mph freeway.

Question I have is about the base and pave for the part between the Mississippi River bridge and MS 1. When will that happen?
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.