News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 21, 2021, 02:35:34 PM
With the amount of growth that appears to be going in that area, a two lane road just looks like it would become another bottleneck. Sure, maybe 4 lanes isn't desperately needed, but it's certainly nice to have. In 20 years, the situation might be different. Better build early so that when the volumes increase, the road can handle it. I'm coming from a city who didn't build infrastructure up before growth, and traffic is a nightmare on 2 lane roads.

It's needed between Arno Road and US 31/41A in Triune. East of there to Veterans isn't critical at the moment, as most commuters get on I-840 at that point. Construction is underway to 5 lane SR 96 between Arno and just east of Wilson Pike. Hopefully they'll be able to start the Wilson Pike to I-840 segment shortly after that is finished.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on June 21, 2021, 03:43:31 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 21, 2021, 02:35:34 PM
With the amount of growth that appears to be going in that area, a two lane road just looks like it would become another bottleneck. Sure, maybe 4 lanes isn't desperately needed, but it's certainly nice to have. In 20 years, the situation might be different. Better build early so that when the volumes increase, the road can handle it. I'm coming from a city who didn't build infrastructure up before growth, and traffic is a nightmare on 2 lane roads.

It’s needed between Arno Road and US 31/41A in Triune. East of there to Veterans isn’t critical at the moment, as most commuters get on I-840 at that point. Construction is underway to 5 lane SR 96 between Arno and just east of Wilson Pike. Hopefully they’ll be able to start the Wilson Pike to I-840 segment shortly after that is finished.

East of US 31A/41A I-840 parallels really close to the corridor anyway.  One can take Spanntown Road and head to Alamaville Road (SSR 102).  Also if one was to travel WB on SR 96 they could hop over to Old SR 96 if headed north on US 31A/41A.

Georgia

WIlliamson County has grown faster than Rutherford County the last decade; 36.46% to 31.80%. 

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUnM0yxY6Q

Here's an animated video of the "future" Pellissippi Parkway Extension.

I-55

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 22, 2021, 02:36:58 PM

Void of any I-140 shields, probably TDOT's way of avoiding interstate opposition by building it as a state route and signing it as interstate later (or never).
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-55 on June 22, 2021, 07:09:27 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 22, 2021, 02:36:58 PM

Void of any I-140 shields, probably TDOT's way of avoiding interstate opposition by building it as a state route and signing it as interstate later (or never).

That is TDOT's MO.  We do have at three to four of these around the state.

The Ghostbuster

So the Pellissippi Parkway is finally being extended to US 321? Is there any time-frame on when this extension will be constructed?

Great Lakes Roads

An update on the I-24 SMART Corridor project in the Nashville metro area.

I-39

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 06, 2021, 03:58:13 PM

An update on the I-24 SMART Corridor project in the Nashville metro area.

This will eventually need to be implemented on the I-65 corridor between Nashville and Spring Hill as well.

Avalanchez71

I have long advocated the use of traffic squeezing to increase traffic flow.  If you squeeze the lanes into specific lanes whilst letting in other lanes then you have more flow.  You have to get the right lane runners to quit running the right lane to increase the flow and cause a choke point. 

On other news this is living proof that increasing lane capacity does not relive traffic woes.  It creates greater traffic woes.  I-24 was increased to 8 lanes and it is no better traffic flow wise than back in the 4 lane days.  You just encouraged further growth.  A decade ago you could sell an 8 lane I-24 to prospective home buyers that commute.

I always tell folks before you commit to your dream home do four additional things. 
1.  Drive your commute during your commuting hours at least twice on actual work days.
2.  Look around for known nuisances.  Look for greenways that go in your backyard, the farm behind you that may emit farm orders, nearby schools whilst may be great if you have a kid that could walk to school could be bad for an older person that doesn't want children on their lawn.  Don't buy a house near a farm to only complain about farm smells/noises.  Don't buy a house if you don't like people walking near it, i.e. sidewalks and greenways.  Look around for other quality of life issues.  A subdivision pool reserved for your HOA may sound great but it may not be so great when the pool is next door.
3.  Check with your local law enforcement agency for crime statistics.  Check and see how many calls for service exist in the neighborhood.  You maybe in a great neighborhood, even a gated one only to find out that your neighbor is complained on constantly or causes a ruckus.   
4.  Check the area out at night.  You have to see how everyone in the area acts at night versus the daytime.  This will tell the tale of where you are moving to.  If you want peace and quite you have to find out if the neighborhood is more lively at night or not.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 12, 2021, 08:28:04 AM
On other news this is living proof that increasing lane capacity does not relive traffic woes.  It creates greater traffic woes.  I-24 was increased to 8 lanes and it is no better traffic flow wise than back in the 4 lane days.  You just encouraged further growth.  A decade ago you could sell an 8 lane I-24 to prospective home buyers that commute.
That's called population growth, and it happens in certain parts of the country regardless of whether there's a freeway there or not.

1.  Drive your commute during your commuting hours at least twice on actual work days.

To reduce congestion, which you said was an issue earlier in the same post, we need to spread out work times more or do more working from home.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Avalanchez71

Quote from: 1 on July 12, 2021, 08:35:26 AM
That's called population growth, and it happens in certain parts of the country regardless of whether there's a freeway there or not.

To reduce congestion, which you said was an issue earlier in the same post, we need to spread out work times more or do more working from home.

I am speaking about making final decisions if you are purchasing a home.  Don't just look at the house without the total package. 

I-39

In this updated Nashville MPO 2045 project list, they have omitted any widening of I-65 south of I-840. Previously, they had a project proposed to widen I-65 between I-840 and SR 396 to 6-8 lanes.

https://gnrc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=7fa45c7ed3944f39a499194d921b2552

Not sure why they omitted it from this latest plan. Traffic is going to get significantly worse on I-65 between I-840 and SR 396 with the Buckner/June Lake Blvd interchange going in. Not only will they need to widen there, but by the end of this decade, they'll likely need to six lane down to Bear Creek Pike.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2021, 10:49:01 PM
In this updated Nashville MPO 2045 project list, they have omitted any widening of I-65 south of I-840. Previously, they had a project proposed to widen I-65 between I-840 and SR 396 to 6-8 lanes.

https://gnrc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=7fa45c7ed3944f39a499194d921b2552

Not sure why they omitted it from this latest plan. Traffic is going to get significantly worse on I-65 between I-840 and SR 396 with the Buckner/June Lake Blvd interchange going in. Not only will they need to widen there, but by the end of this decade, they'll likely need to six lane down to Bear Creek Pike.

That interchange will significantly change the traffic patterns in the area.  Spring Hill annexed all the land it could using the new rule where someone can ask for annexation. The old way was to just take it into the city.  However, it looks like the annexations were done in a speculative fashion.  No doubt that this interchange will bring with increased crime, sprawl and traffic.  Buckner Lane is a fine drive right now.  It is scenic and many home owners have purchased along here as the characteristic of the area is suburban flowing to the edge of rural areas.  This will now make this area urban in nature and nature will be sacrificed at the hands of a few crooked folks. 

Why did everyone that voted for this not seek reelection? Interesting that everyone that was serving at the time for the most part all decided that their respective time was up.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 15, 2021, 08:26:14 AM
Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2021, 10:49:01 PM

That interchange will significantly change the traffic patterns in the area.  Spring Hill annexed all the land it could using the new rule where someone can ask for annexation. The old way was to just take it into the city.  However, it looks like the annexations were done in a speculative fashion.  No doubt that this interchange will bring with increased crime, sprawl and traffic.  Buckner Lane is a fine drive right now.  It is scenic and many home owners have purchased along here as the characteristic of the area is suburban flowing to the edge of rural areas.  This will now make this area urban in nature and nature will be sacrificed at the hands of a few crooked folks. 

Why did everyone that voted for this not seek reelection? Interesting that everyone that was serving at the time for the most part all decided that their respective time was up.

Oh my goodness.........  just stop.

News flash: people are moving here whether you like it or not. It's called growth. Things can't stay the same way forever, we all can't be riding horse and buggy on dirt roads which is what you'd essentially like.

How dare Spring Hill try to get in on some of the growth that Brentwood and Franklin have experienced with Maryland Farms and Cool Springs/Berry Farms respectively? I say kudos to them for trying to build out some mixed use developments of their own to keep some people in town from having to go north to find nice shopping and office spaces. And how dare they try to get direct access to the I-65 so US 31 and SR 396 are perpetual parking lots of people having to loop back and go out of the way to get to their neighborhoods on the east side of town?

Buckner Lane is a major hazard in its current state, with it being a narrow two lane roadway with no shoulders. Spring Hill desperately needs new multilane roads heading north to help with traffic. The widening and the interchange will do wonders for the city, and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Finally, I-65 will have to be widened eventually going south from I-840 to at least SR 396, if not eventually US 412/Bear Creek Pike. You don't like it? Move to Pulaski or Hohenwald. The Nashville area will continue to develop. And frankly, it's nothing compared to other cities. You haven't seen anything until you've lived in a major metro area like a LA, Chicago or even Atlanta. We have it pretty good here.

There are legitimate criticisms of excess roadway building out there (i.e, I-69, Wisconsin and their 4 lane highway building mania, etc), but this isn't one of them, at all.

froggie

^ The growth you refer to is indeed considered sprawl.  Avalanchez is not wrong in saying the interchange will bring sprawl and traffic.

I-39

Quote from: froggie on July 15, 2021, 09:16:56 AM
^ The growth you refer to is indeed considered sprawl.  Avalanchez is not wrong in saying the interchange will bring sprawl and traffic.

And? The growth and sprawl is already here. This helps manage it a bit.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2021, 09:22:58 AM

The Buckner Lane winding meeting is tonight.  They are going to talk about the south end I believe.  Do you know the cost of property acquisition alone?  The homes along this stretch are not small homes or green spaces for the most part.  There are a few green spaces.  Some of the land along the way are also "donut holes" as well.  Will they have to build around?  The ROW is in the city limits so the donut hole is at the edge of Buckner Lane ROW.  This means that they will have to take in a bunch of lots of the backyards of the homes of Wade's Crossing.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 15, 2021, 10:12:43 AM

The Buckner Lane winding meeting is tonight.  They are going to talk about the south end I believe.  Do you know the cost of property acquisition alone?  The homes along this stretch are not small homes or green spaces for the most part.  There are a few green spaces.  Some of the land along the way are also "donut holes" as well.  Will they have to build around?  The ROW is in the city limits so the donut hole is at the edge of Buckner Lane ROW.  This means that they will have to take in a bunch of lots of the backyards of the homes of Wade's Crossing.

Not sure about cost, but to save on ROW acquisition, they've narrowed the ROW so they'll use 11 ft lanes instead of the standard 12 ft. Not ideal, but it is what it is (they plan to do the same on the US 31 widening in the future btw). North of Belcor Dr/Wade's Crossing, there is plenty of green space on one side or the other.

Next up will need to be Port Royal, which will be an even bigger challenge IMO.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2021, 10:46:36 AM

Not sure about cost, but to save on ROW acquisition, they've narrowed the ROW so they'll use 11 ft lanes instead of the standard 12 ft. Not ideal, but it is what it is (they plan to do the same on the US 31 widening in the future btw). North of Belcor Dr/Wade's Crossing, there is plenty of green space on one side or the other.

The issue with the green space is that those properties for the most part are not in the city limits.  They cannot do forced annexation any longer.  They would need consent of the affected property owners.  See the Spring Hill TN or Williamson County GIS for the parcels that are not in the city. These are donut holes as they are completely surrounded by the city.

It is insane for the city to spend money on widening SR 6 (US 31).  That is a state road and the city should not pick up the tab on that one.  I feel that they were wrong on Duplex Road as well (SSR 247) for the same reason.

Spring Hill is going to end up looking like Smyrna or Murfreesboro.  Constrained by traffic, sprawl and it will lose it's charm as a bedroom community. 

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 15, 2021, 11:26:39 AMIt is insane for the city to spend money on widening SR 6 (US 31).  That is a state road and the city should not pick up the tab on that one.  I feel that they were wrong on Duplex Road as well (SSR 247) for the same reason.

Spring Hill is going to end up looking like Smyrna or Murfreesboro.  Constrained by traffic, sprawl and it will lose it's charm as a bedroom community.

I do believe TDOT picked up most, if not all of the tab for Duplex since it is technically a state route. They will do the same for US 31 when that time comes.

There really isn't any charm in Spring Hill as it is, lol. It's one massive suburb that doesn't have a downtown district (at the moment) and is mostly made up of people commuting to Nashville and Franklin/Cool Springs.

One thing I will give you: Buckner Road will not need to be widened to five lanes. IMHO, it only needs three lanes like Duplex. Just straighten the road and add a continuous center turn lane, no need for additional travel lanes there. Next up for four/five laning will be Port Royal IMO.

sprjus4

That's certainly debatable. While interchange construction and new improved access will often spawn growth, there's been a number of proven situations where growth has continued to sprawl as infrastructure and good access continues to lag behind. The growth is inevitable - now whether the DOT is ready to provide needed connectivity and road improvements is another story.

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 15, 2021, 11:26:39 AM
Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2021, 10:46:36 AM

The issue with the green space is that those properties for the most part are not in the city limits.  They cannot do forced annexation any longer.  They would need consent of the affected property owners.  See the Spring Hill TN or Williamson County GIS for the parcels that are not in the city. These are donut holes as they are completely surrounded by the city.

It is insane for the city to spend money on widening SR 6 (US 31).  That is a state road and the city should not pick up the tab on that one.  I feel that they were wrong on Duplex Road as well (SSR 247) for the same reason.

It's already becoming that way... the growth isn't stopping. The question is - would the city rather have improved roadways to handle the traffic, or outdated, narrow 2 lane roads with poor design features handling large amounts of traffic? Get over it.

sparker

This growth/outdated infrastructure see-saw, while not exclusive to the greater Nashville area, is particularly endemic there, since the state seems willing to grant favors (tax deferments, fee reductions, etc.) to corporations expressing interest in relocating to the area.  One of the heavyweight "gorillas" in my industry, specialty audio, is Emotiva; they were convinced to relocate from their original CA digs to the outskirts of Franklin in the late 2000's; employing about 4K (they actually manufacture -- or at least do final assembly -- on products there) over several daily shifts.  Having talked to one of their consulting engineers a few years back, this person opined that when his division moved there about 2010, the roads were relatively clear, but five years later there were new housing tracts and retail "parks" that had been built during that period of time; Emotiva was but one of several larger firms setting down local roots.  If TN is insistent upon bringing in large-scale employers and arraying them around the Nashville periphery (although so far, no one has referred to I-840 in terms normally reserved for arteries like MA 128!), development and, yes, sprawl, is inevitable.  TDOT and the local agencies will be playing "catch-up" until such time as the inducements cease. 

The Ghostbuster

I'm sure people have been complaining about undeveloped areas being developed for as long as cities have existed. "Sprawl" will always exist, unless humanity resorts back to living in caves and teepees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.