Mile markers every 1/10th of a mile - Yes? No? Sometimes?

Started by cpzilliacus, August 17, 2012, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Steve on August 17, 2012, 07:43:37 PM
NJ posts every 0.5 on major routes (US 46, NJ 17). Freeways usually get every 0.1, but in no case are they too-well maintained. Parkway and Turnpike maintain theirs. All are the small 2' style with 4" numbers no one can read.

Let's not forget that we have some weird state route situations with .1 of a mile markers (167, 171, 157, 13, 32, 162, 64, etc.)

Weird NJDOT logic for whatever reason, considering most of the above listed ones are pretty pathetic state routes.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on August 17, 2012, 07:43:37 PM
NJ posts every 0.5 on major routes (US 46, NJ 17). Freeways usually get every 0.1, but in no case are they too-well maintained. Parkway and Turnpike maintain theirs. All are the small 2' style with 4" numbers no one can read.

Though they can probably be read pretty well if you happen to be stopped because of a breakdown or crash.  And I've always been able to read the ones on the Turnpike, at least along the four-lane segment in South Jersey.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 17, 2012, 05:00:02 PM
Massachusetts used to show their 1/10th mile markers with a small grey or yellow diamond that had the mile number placed above the 1/10th.

The 1/10th markers were yellow diamonds.  As these older intermediate markers were placed for plaiing and maintenance purposes, and were never intended to be used by drivers for location identification or navigation, they were only 4 inches by 4 inches in size.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on August 20, 2012, 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 17, 2012, 05:00:02 PM
Massachusetts used to show their 1/10th mile markers with a small grey or yellow diamond that had the mile number placed above the 1/10th.
The 1/10th markers were yellow diamonds.  As these older intermediate markers were placed for plaiing and maintenance purposes, and were never intended to be used by drivers for location identification or navigation, they were only 4 inches by 4 inches in size.
One tenth marker along MA 114 (Lafayette St.) in Marblehead uses a grey diamond (MM 21.5 IIRC); just before the Pleasant/Humphery St. intersection (aka Tent's Corner).  And I have seen grey diamonds used on other Bay State roads.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Takumi

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 20, 2012, 11:12:02 AM
I think that the I-95 milemarker signs have shields through metropolitan Richmond (Hanover, Henrico and Chesterfield Counties and the City of Richmond).
Richmond and Chesterfield don't. They just have the old-style markers every mile.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on August 20, 2012, 07:01:52 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 20, 2012, 11:12:02 AM
I think that the I-95 milemarker signs have shields through metropolitan Richmond (Hanover, Henrico and Chesterfield Counties and the City of Richmond).
Richmond and Chesterfield don't. They just have the old-style markers every mile.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I was certain those signs extended south of Henrico.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

I drove all of Md. 404 (Queen Anne's, Talbot and Caroline Counties) yesterday, and doing so reminded me that Maryland SHA has posted markers every half mile between the Delaware border and U.S. 50.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.