News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

There were no plans to renumber any of PennDOT's US or PA designated expressways that have exit numbers.  The 2001 conversion was just for roadways that are limited-access in their entirety (except I-579 and I-676).

SM-G965U

Roadsguy

PennDOT should honestly just start generally numbering exits on all expressways.

I wonder why PA 28 was given exit numbers at all, when other similar suburban and rural non-Interstate expressways like US 219 never got any. From a quick check of historic GSV, the PA 60 expressway had sequential exit numbers as well until it was made I-376.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PAHighways

It appears to be a district-by-district basis as only Districts 4, 5, 8, and 11 have non-Interstate expressways with exit numbers, and only one or two at most in each.

SM-G965U

ipeters61

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 29, 2019, 07:20:22 PM
PennDOT should honestly just start generally numbering exits on all expressways.

I wonder why PA 28 was given exit numbers at all, when other similar suburban and rural non-Interstate expressways like US 219 never got any. From a quick check of historic GSV, the PA 60 expressway had sequential exit numbers as well until it was made I-376.
PA-309 North Cross Valley Expressway and PA-29 South Cross Valley Expressway in the Wilkes-Barre area both have exit numbers, but PA-283 between Harrisburg and Lancaster, US-30 between Coatesville and Exton, and US-202 between West Chester and King of Prussia don't have exit numbers.  Is it a district thing, I wonder?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ixnay

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 29, 2019, 10:50:00 PM
PA-309 North Cross Valley Expressway and PA-29 South Cross Valley Expressway in the Wilkes-Barre area both have exit numbers, but PA-283 between Harrisburg and Lancaster, US-30 between Coatesville and Exton, and US-202 between West Chester and King of Prussia don't have exit numbers.  Is it a district thing, I wonder?

And if so, why is PennDOT allowing it to be so?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ekt8750

Hell while we're at it, I wish PennDOT would post mileage on their surface traffic routes. An enhanced mile marker at every half mile (ala what NJ has done) would make the system easier to traverse especially in locations where routes are hard to follow (looking right at you Philly).

storm2k

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 30, 2019, 10:52:04 AM
Hell while we're at it, I wish PennDOT would post mileage on their surface traffic routes. An enhanced mile marker at every half mile (ala what NJ has done) would make the system easier to traverse especially in locations where routes are hard to follow (looking right at you Philly).

Agree that the EMM's on surface roads would be a nice improvement, but don't think it would necessarily help in cities, since the cities themselves usually maintain the roads even if they're considered state highways. NJ-28 thru Plainfield is the first thing that pops to mind for me, as what signs there are are old and decayed, and not usually replaced if they fall off or get vandalized. Plus, no EMM's through there. I would like Philly to do more of this, which is a smart way to keep routes signed throughout the city. It's nice where it exists, but it's very inconsistent.

Roadsguy

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 30, 2019, 10:52:04 AM

PennDOT doesn't even post their little white LRS markers on surface streets in Philadelphia. They definitely won't install mile markers on streets in the city.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ekt8750

Quote from: storm2k on October 30, 2019, 11:46:06 AM
I would like Philly to do more of this, which is a smart way to keep routes signed throughout the city. It's nice where it exists, but it's very inconsistent.

Agreed but since they only seem to replace their sign blades on what they consider an "as needed" basis, it'll be a long time before those shielded blades become the rule more than the exception.

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 30, 2019, 02:03:55 PM
PennDOT doesn't even post their little white LRS markers on surface streets in Philadelphia. They definitely won't install mile markers on streets in the city.

You're right about that and it's an annoyance. I have a buddy who works in Philly's Streets Dept and he has a ton of stories about residents finding out they live on state roads within the city (usually when it comes to snow removal).

74/171FAN

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 30, 2019, 03:10:30 PM
Quote from: storm2k on October 30, 2019, 11:46:06 AM
I would like Philly to do more of this, which is a smart way to keep routes signed throughout the city. It's nice where it exists, but it's very inconsistent.

Agreed but since they only seem to replace their sign blades on what they consider an "as needed" basis, it'll be a long time before those shielded blades become the rule more than the exception.

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 30, 2019, 02:03:55 PM

You're right about that and it's an annoyance. I have a buddy who works in Philly's Streets Dept and he has a ton of stories about residents finding out they live on state roads within the city (usually when it comes to snow removal).

The state routes are shown on the PennDOT VideoLog (which just changed its address for the record).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Crown Victoria

seicer

Regarding the future US 322/I-95 interchange reconstruction project, what will that entail? Reading over the slides for Section CSX, provisions are being made for a future I-95 NB to US Route 322 WB ramp. Have plans been released as to what this interchange will look like?

MASTERNC

I never thought I would see this but I found a 60 MPH zone in PA - it was a work zone speed limit on I-79 southbound just north of Cranberry.  Traffic is routed onto a temporary bridge in the median.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 19, 2019, 03:32:01 PM
An interesting article about the planning for I-78 through the Lehigh Valley:

https://www.mcall.com/business/transportation/road-warrior/mc-biz-road-warrior-interstate-78-corridor-debate-20191119-ncjzr63strg57bft37v5avr56y-story.html

Interesting read. I do think they took a good option on how to route I78 around Easton. It would have been very dumb to take it through town and over the older bridge there. Having a Southern bypass of the city was a better idea. Not making 22 a 3di as well was a missed oppertunity to tie in easton to the interstate grid.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Beltway

https://www.mcall.com/business/transportation/road-warrior/mc-biz-road-warrior-interstate-78-corridor-debate-20191119-ncjzr63strg57bft37v5avr56y-story.html
The southern line adds about 4 more miles to the PA-309 line that was chosen.

The thing I liked about the southern line back when the bypass was being proposed, was the connection with the Turnpike at a location where it could effectively serve I-78 to the east of there.

According to the article, at least by omission, the list of interchanges would not include a Turnpike interchange.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ixnay

I attended what is now Kutztown Univ. in the early '80s when the I-78 debate was going on.  Where the southern I-78 route would have branched off current 78/22 near Adams Road, I recall seeing a sign saying (approximate quote) /"[I-78 shield] ENDS HERE/FOLLOW US 22".  (don't recall if "US 22" was text or a 22 shield).

About the only landmark in that area that I recall was the Schaefer (now Samuel Adams) brewery on PA 100 just south of current 78/22.  Now that proposed I-78 corridor is built up at the west end with an Ocean Spray plant, Home Depot and Nestle' water distribution centers, and lodgings and industrial parks.  How much of that was there in the early '80s idk.  I-78 couldn't run through there now if it wanted to.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2019, 11:47:09 PM

The thing I liked about the southern line back when the bypass was being proposed, was the connection with the Turnpike at a location where it could effectively serve I-78 to the east of there.

According to the article, at least by omission, the list of interchanges would not include a Turnpike interchange.

I thought it was a bit strange that there was no Turnpike interchange with the proposed southern route shown...but then again, this is PA we're talking about.  I wouldn't have put it past them to not plan that interchange!

Beltway

Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 02, 2019, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2019, 11:47:09 PM
I thought it was a bit strange that there was no Turnpike interchange with the proposed southern route shown...but then again, this is PA we're talking about.  I wouldn't have put it past them to not plan that interchange!
They typically didn't, or relegated the Turnpike interchange to sometime in the future after the PennDOT freeway was built.

That was the case with the I-476/I-276 interchange, PennDOT had a scheme worked out to connect it to the Plymouth Meeting local interchange with the Turnpike, until some day when the direct connection could be built.  Fortunately the PTC and PennDOT worked out a funding arrangement to build the direct interchange connection at the same time.

Nice that the newspaper showed the southern line.  I looked around for about 10 minutes and I found no such map posted on the Internet.  PennDOT has historical maps for every tenth year, but the 1980 and 1970 maps did not show the proposed I-78 Bypass route.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Crown Victoria

Back to the present on I-78...looks like reconstruction from the Berks line to PA 100 is finally on the table:

https://www.mcall.com/business/transportation/mc-biz-lehigh-valley-interstate-78-update-20191204-lifyztkuejadxgiovamwvfnt7q-story.html

Alps

Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 04, 2019, 07:26:41 PM
Back to the present on I-78...looks like reconstruction from the Berks line to PA 100 is finally on the table:

https://www.mcall.com/business/transportation/mc-biz-lehigh-valley-interstate-78-update-20191204-lifyztkuejadxgiovamwvfnt7q-story.html

Forget that, there's finally a climbing lane heading east toward PA 33! Praise the Lord.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on December 04, 2019, 11:01:58 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 04, 2019, 07:26:41 PM

Forget that, there's finally a climbing lane heading east toward PA 33! Praise the Lord.

I completely agree with you on that.  That may be the most significant improvement needed to I-78 minus a widening to 6 lanes that may not happen for a few decades.

In other PA news, a proposed P3 project that will widen I-81 to 6 lanes between Exits 164 (PA 29) and 168 (Highland Park Blvd) in the Wilkes-Barre area was approved yesterday by the P3 Board.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

seicer

"The project includes widening the Interstate to three lanes in both directions between Exit 164 to Exit 168, realigning 2.5 miles of I-81 southbound and replacing 8 bridges, as well as other related improvements. Safety and mobility improvements include eliminating a left-hand exit on I-81 northbound (Route 309) and addressing a substandard weave distance between SR 0029 and SR 0309 on I-81 northbound."

I'm trying to determine what will be realigned along I-81 SB.

Roadsguy

Quote from: seicer on December 05, 2019, 07:29:16 AM
"The project includes widening the Interstate to three lanes in both directions between Exit 164 to Exit 168, realigning 2.5 miles of I-81 southbound and replacing 8 bridges, as well as other related improvements. Safety and mobility improvements include eliminating a left-hand exit on I-81 northbound (Route 309) and addressing a substandard weave distance between SR 0029 and SR 0309 on I-81 northbound."

I'm trying to determine what will be realigned along I-81 SB.

My first guess would be realigning the southbound lanes through the southern PA 309/Business 309 interchange to stay parallel to the northbound lanes and moving the ramps accordingly, though that only measures about 1.5 miles according to Google Maps. Not sure what else would be realigned since the lanes stick together throughout the rest of the stretch, except for a slight median widening at the Highland Park Blvd interchange that I really hope isn't what they mean.

Hopefully it's eventually six-laned up into Scranton without leaving a gap between Highland Park Blvd and the PA 309 expressway. They haven't had funding in the past, but they've been gradually replacing all the bridges between 309 and the Central Scranton Expressway with room for a third lane included. Arguably, it should be eight lanes between the Central Scranton and I-84/380/US 6, but I doubt they're in a hurry to widen the big bridge over Roaring Brook and Mill Street.

seicer

There won't be a need for eight lanes when the I-476 is used as a de-facto bypass of Scranton. It looks like that project is moving ahead.

vdeane

I remain skeptical that they'll get significant traffic relief - at least not if they de-toll that part of I-476, which as far as I'm aware, is not part of the plan.  PA Turnpike tolls are obscene and I'm sure there will be many shunpikers.  Plus traffic going to/from I-84 or Scranton will still need to go that way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.