News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How to dead end a freeway...LOL!

Started by nexus73, April 20, 2011, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Saw this pix today.  It's from an article about Nashville and the location is the Nissan plant in that city.  The first thought was how it looked like a good way to end a freeway in which there is nothing to connect to and that struck me as funny! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

The short freeway spur under the Empire State Plaza in downtown Albany, NY terminates/U-turns in much the same fashion.

english si

why would you need both sides to turn around?

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

I-70's eastern terminus in Baltimore does something somewhat similar, except that there's only one carriageway that makes the loop, and there's parking alongside (it is a Park & Ride, of course).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2011, 11:43:58 PM
I-70's eastern terminus in Baltimore does something somewhat similar, except that there's only one carriageway that makes the loop, and there's parking alongside (it is a Park & Ride, of course).
So did I-370 before the ICC, via a square loop. Probably the only freeway to end in a square instead of a circle.

Bickendan

Seems to me that back in the day, I-710's mainline u-turned at the top of the berm above Valley Blvd if you didn't exit. The satellite image shows a forced exit to Valley, but I remember that u-turn... I was 5 years old, I think, so 1988?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=34.073952,-118.160822&spn=0.002639,0.005273&t=k&z=18

froggie

QuoteSo did I-370 before the ICC, via a square loop. Probably the only freeway to end in a square instead of a circle.

Not quite.  If you know your way through the Shady Grove metro station, you can get out to Redland Rd without having to take the "square loop" back onto I-370.  I've even used what is effectively a direct ramp from Redland Rd along the edge of the station to the beginning of I-370.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Bickendan on April 21, 2011, 05:09:35 AM
Seems to me that back in the day, I-710's mainline u-turned at the top of the berm above Valley Blvd if you didn't exit. The satellite image shows a forced exit to Valley, but I remember that u-turn... I was 5 years old, I think, so 1988?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=34.073952,-118.160822&spn=0.002639,0.005273&t=k&z=18

I never knew that.  Last time I was there, it looked like the berm after Valley Blvd is pretty well built up, as though it had always been there.

did they widen Valley Blvd, covering up the old turn-around point?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Henry

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 21, 2011, 02:04:04 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2011, 11:43:58 PM
So did I-370 before the ICC, via a square loop. Probably the only freeway to end in a square instead of a circle.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the most classic example of all, I-170! Of course, it was to extend to I-70, but nothing ever came of it, which is why US 40 is there. On the western end, the pavement simply runs out before a 30-foot dropoff onto a local street.

EDIT: The western end is being torn down to make room for expansion of a train station parking lot, and possibly a new public transit route called the Red Line. (I would've taken it one step further and erased the rest of it as well!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

QuoteI'm surprised no one mentioned the most classic example of all, I-170!

Probably because I-170 doesn't fit the criteria or intention of the post...freeways which U-turn at the end.

Henry

Quote from: froggie on April 21, 2011, 03:24:49 PM
QuoteI'm surprised no one mentioned the most classic example of all, I-170!

Probably because I-170 doesn't fit the criteria or intention of the post...freeways which U-turn at the end.
Well, excuse me then! :pan: I have never seen a freeway make a U-turn like that!  :-D
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: froggie on April 21, 2011, 07:15:19 AM
QuoteSo did I-370 before the ICC, via a square loop. Probably the only freeway to end in a square instead of a circle.

Not quite.  If you know your way through the Shady Grove metro station, you can get out to Redland Rd without having to take the "square loop" back onto I-370.  I've even used what is effectively a direct ramp from Redland Rd along the edge of the station to the beginning of I-370.

There may be an exit from the loop, but it's a loop nonetheless.

froggie

Heading into the station yes, but coming out of the station the primary road begins at Redland Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.